Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Loss of Both Broadband Internet Access and Telephony Service  (Read 14525 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Loss of Both Broadband Internet Access and Telephony Service
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2018, 07:45:46 AM »

Due to my mobility issues no stroll down to the cabinet was viable, and I was not getting a taxi for it. :)

Prior to the outage, I was synced at 79987 but with 5.4db snrm and attainable of about 78.
After the 2 min outage which included voice I was synced at just over 78000 but also with a 5.4db snrm (so someone synced soon after me), and attainable of about 76000.
Then some hours later another loss of sync occurred and I am now at my current sync of just under 74000. This one was just a quick resync not a sustained outage that I noticed.  My SNRM has dropped since this event as well although only a small amount thankfully.
Both of these syncs have about 2DB of SNRM lost on the upstream and a resulting loss of about 5 mbit US attainable.

Overnight it seemed stable, no loss of sync or sudden changes of SNRM. ES rates seem very similar.

Its annoying but I will put things into perspective.

Had over 6 months at full sync following years of struggling to even hit 70mbit sync speeds.
The clean low rate for my area (20th percentile) is only just over 60mbit now, indicating how low some people around me are syncing.
The handback threshold is only just over 50mbit (10th percentile) indicating how low at least one person near me is syncing, so my current sync speed is still well in the upper range for my area.  I just hope it stabilises again now tho.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2018, 07:52:08 AM »

Just a thought . . .

I wonder if a G.9700/9701 (a.k.a.G.Fast) pod has been added to the PCP and in the process of connecting it up, the tie-cables to/from the DSLAM containing cabinet were disturbed?  :-\

Interesting theory, as you know engineers are not supposed to touch live pairs without a proper reason, doing things like swapping tie pairs on active customers is a big no no.  Black Sheep will obviously be aware of this.  If they in the way of a pod installation then that would be such a reason.  I may be able to check this upcoming weekend as I have a feeling will be in the car in that direction then.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2018, 06:00:55 PM »

I have had a further thought.

A G.9700/9701 (G.Fast) pod needs a power supply. It is my understanding that the nominal -50V DC supply is taken from the associated fibre cabinet. To do so, an appropriately sized cable would have to be installed between the two cabinets and I would assume that the same duct as the tie-cables would be used. Thus there is a potential for disturbance to the tie-cables during such activity. Finally, I would expect that the power link cable would not be connected at the fibre cabinet end with the power supply circuitry live . . . hence a short power down of the DSLAM and a G.993.2 service outage.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2018, 06:33:50 PM »

It could have been a 'Card reset'. Carried out as an absolute last resort, but a necessity at times.

In doing so, it clears up a 'Has synch but no PPP session' fault, 99% of the time.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2018, 08:09:41 PM »

ok thanks black sheep.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2018, 03:28:02 PM »

I did check on sunday, is no pod next to cabinet, also is no pod next to cabinet across the road from me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]