Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Change hardcoded(?) telnet pswd in HG612 Modem Stats v 5.1  (Read 3216 times)

bongo

• Just arrived
Change hardcoded(?) telnet pswd in HG612 Modem Stats v 5.1
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:37:13 AM »

Hello,

re "HG612 Modem Stats v 5.1 Full Release for Windows Users "

How do I change the telnet pswd from the apparently hardcoded ("admin") in the prog?

It's modifiable in hg612_stats.ini but that line appears to be ignored by the prog.

Reason for doing this: I changed it within the modem sometime ago and want to avoid changing back to something so generic.

Any ideas please?

Ronski

• Kitizen
Re: Change hardcoded(?) telnet pswd in HG612 Modem Stats v 5.1
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 06:33:36 AM »

Hi Bongo, welcome to the forums.

I wasn't aware the Telnet password could be changed for an HG612 modem, but I could be wrong. If you are using a different modem then you need to select that from the list available.

Anyway the answer is quite easy*, navigate to the Scripts folder, and then the Editor folder.

In there you will find Modems.txt, open it and change the 0 after HG612 to a 1. This will make the password field in the GUI editable.

*I say easy, but a have sneaky suspicion that it still won't work especially as you've hinted that you have changed it in the INI file, although the above will stop the GUI changing it back. You see I wrote the GUI but I didn't write the code that actually gets the stats and it may be hard coded in that code. Unfortunately we have been unable to contact Baldeagle1 who wrote the code for well over a year. All I can suggest is to try the above and see how you get on.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:36:58 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

bongo

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »

Hi Ronski,

Ok I'll give it a try.

For info, this changes the HG612 telnet pswd:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Securing-HG612-modems-in-Bridge-Mode/td-p/1415870

And for any other/future readers, he's right, probably, re dhcp screw up. My workround was to clear the config, hard reset the HG612, setup just enough to get the modem functionality(which doesn't require any dhcp beyond the default) and then do the telnet pswd change. Works with no (known) glitches.

Cheers

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:52:22 PM »

Thanks for the info, hopefully the password change outlined above for the GUI will work - I think it will  :fingers:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 03:06:33 PM »

Password can manually be changed in the ini file but sadly I have had to stop using it, because the wait for prompt character is also hardcoded and is different to what is on the new zyxel devices. Unlike the password its nowhere to be found in the ini file.  Seems odd design choice by BE to have these values be viewable but never be editable.

bongo

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 02:41:15 PM »

Ronski,

you were right it works.

ie can change telnet pswd for HG612 3B , fw= B030SP08 and HG612 Modem Stats v 5.1  generates graphs etc with new pswd

Now all I have to do is understand the results ..

Cheers

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »

Glad it worked.