Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No CLI  (Read 793 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
No CLI
« on: May 05, 2018, 12:02:32 AM »

RevK of AAISP mentioned that AA might have an option on its phone service to allow you to either reject no-CLI calls or play a choice of automated extremely rude messages to them.

I would love to tackle spam caller like this but the problem is that the doctor’s and NHS hospitals seem to call with no CLI. That is very annoying, makes them appear to be spammers. When I used to reject no-CLI calls my consultant’s assistant would keep saying that they had tried to get through and failed and they could seem to remember to present CLI or perhaps couldn't work it out. I just wish the NHS would change their ways.

Luckily spam calls are never a problem these days as luck would have it, not since changing over to AA for our ‘landline’ (actually SIP redirected to mobile) phone service.

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: No CLI
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 11:00:35 AM »

Yeah I read that article on the blog, I have a number that I don't really use at the moment with AAISP, more as a backup. My landline with CIX hasn't had spam calls at the moment, neither my phone number with FlexTel (which is linked via an AAISP SIP2SIM). The one thing I like about FlexTel is that if a number if withheld they will at least tell you part of the number and give you the option to block it (they only know the whole number). Obviously doesn't work however if for some reason whoever's calling has no CLI at all (even if it's withheld). I used to run a FreePBX server a long time ago which if I recall correctly would handily read a certain header from an incoming call via my FlexTel phone number (as they used to send it, they probably still do) and then show the actual number on my mobile phone, even if it was a withheld number. That was useful ;).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »

reject no-CLI calls or play a choice of automated extremely rude messages to them

A lot of the older type BT ex-directory phone no's don't have CLI.   I'm ex-dir and my phone no never shows up. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 03:05:01 PM »

I’m not convinced that, on balance of probability, absence of CLI indicates spam.    A few of the spammers and scammers that call me do withhold CLI, but the majority just show a spoofed CLI.   One trend, for a while, was to show a spoofed CLI with my own local area code.  That caught me off guard a couple of times, thinking it will be one of the neighbours, only to hear a foreign accent wanting to help me to install malware on my PC for them.

In contrast, there are many valid reasons for legitimately withholding.   I believe Doctors tend do so for example, because there is a risk that some people may become anxious if they reallise their Doctor had called whilst they were out, and it is too late to return the call.

I noticed it quite recently, when we were dealing with a family death.   Not sure if it was the Vicar or the Undertaker, or some other relevant person (or maybe the Hospice) but I did notice they were withholding CLI.