Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: HG612 using G.DMT returning ADSL Max speeds rather than ADSL2+  (Read 12522 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 using G.DMT returning ADSL Max speeds rather than ADSL2+
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2018, 06:59:08 PM »

It'll be whatever they're calling ADSL1 on 21CN / WBC. The upstream can either be capped at 448k or uncapped.

Max Premium with its 832k upstream is only applicable to 20CN.

Maybe try the community.bt.com forums if you haven't already done so.

noposter

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2018, 07:22:55 PM »

Time to see what happens from
there then. Hopefully it goes smoother than the phone and hopefully they will remove it without moving me from Max.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-broadband/448kbit-upload-cap-on-21CN-ADSL-Max/td-p/1843292
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:34:16 PM by jwbjnwolf »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2018, 07:45:55 PM »

The thing is, it's not actually ADSL Max that you are on since the BTW speedtester returns a profile for the upstream - so it's certainly just going to be ADSL1 (G.DMT) on 21CN WBC with capped upstream.

If I am proven wrong, I will eat my hat.

I hope that they can resolve your problem on the forum. Having that extra upstream would be nice, and you should get up to around 1 Mbps (around 0.8 Mbps actual throughput).
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

noposter

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2018, 07:47:26 PM »

Don't mistake your hat for mine. I like my hat lol.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2018, 07:49:43 PM »

Don't worry, I don't eat fedoras. ;)

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2018, 11:02:16 PM »

I got a bit bored and nosy, so I took a peek at the progress at the BT forums. Good to see that you've got responses, so that's progress.

DanielS said:
Providing it's available to you, we should be able to change the upstream to uncapped. However; we will have to change your onto ADSL2+.
This is confusing me a bit, since it seems like it is almost implying that you need to move from ADSL Max (to 21CN) rather than it just being the case where you are on 21CN and they just need to uncap the upstream and enable ADSL2/2+ on your line. I could be wrong, but I know BTW 21CN connectivity from the DSLAM perspective allows for capping to 448 kbps on the upstream since it was and maybe still is the standard for Plusnet provisions (I know the OP is with BT, but just for example), and I don't see any technical limitation to disabling certain modulation modes.

To me, it seems a bit counter-intuitive to provision someone on ADSL Max (20CN, essentially legacy connectivity and backhaul) where ADSL2+ enabled 21CN connectivity is available. Of course, the excuse of low estimates could be used, but to me all this is just not adding up.

Perhaps someone here can shed some light on this? I could be wrong completely ... maybe I am just going insane.

Anyway, sorry for stealing the spotlight and essentially hijacking the thread for my own curiosity.

noposter

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2018, 11:08:53 PM »

When they do enable it, if I find that ADSL2/2+ is worse than Max on my line, am I able to just switch the modem to not use ADSL2/2+ so use ADSL Max as right now whilst the ADSL2/2+ is enabled on the line?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2018, 12:08:02 AM »

If you find the modulation modes ADSL2+ (G.DMT.bisplus) and ADSL2 (G.DMT.bis) to be worse than ADSL (G.DMT), you can specify the modulation mode to only use ADSL. Chances are, as I am pretty sure someone said a bit earlier in this thread that I agree with, ADSL2+ modulation in itself probably won't offer any benefits in terms of speed on your long line. ADSL2 may give you the best speed and stability since it has improved modulation over ADSL. Just a bit of trial and error to see what works best for you with your hardware and hardware at the exchange. Regardless, all modulation modes can support up to 1.3 Mbps upstream (unless artificially limited, as far as I know) so you will have an increase no matter which you chose compared to currently after the change.

Just to note:
While ADSL Max uses ADSL (G.DMT) modulation for its connectivity between the customer's equipment and DSLAM, it should not be used synonymously with ADSL since they are both two different things. ADSL Max refers to a type of services offered by BT (which uses the IPStream platform as a backend) while ADSL (G.DMT), like with ADSL2/2+, refers specifically to the type of modulation used by modem (modulator–demodulator) and DSLAM for communicating digital (encoded) information.

noposter

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2018, 12:44:00 AM »

A tad bit of information overload, but I think I get the important part of it.

So once I'm transferred, I just want to make sure ADSL2+ is unticked so ADSL2 is used which will firstly take off the cap and should give some more consistency than right now?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2018, 02:58:26 AM »

My apologies. I should have just answered the question as opposed to giving too much additional information. :( I will try and make this clear.

The cap will be removed when you transfer. No matter whether you choose to use ADSL/2/2+, you will be able to attain more than 448 kbps upstream.

I think the ideal setup for you is to untick "auto" mode and ensure only ADSL2 is ticked. The reason why I think you should not tick ADSL2+ is because it does not benefit on long lines.

You may want to try your own experimentation to see which mode is best. But I think ADSL2 will give you the best speed and stability compromise.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »

I'm pretty sure that you can have uncapped upstream on 21CN ADSL1. Refer to BT SIN 472 if you like. And the upstream on ADSL2+ can be capped to 448k. So the bit about needing to switch to ADSL2+ is incorrect (they probably incorrectly assumed that you are on 20CN, due to the endless confusion about ADSL Max).

Yes if your line is configured to use ADSL2+, you can just set your modem to use ADSL1.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2018, 12:13:48 AM »

What ejs said. I would be surprised if locking the modem to G.DMT (G.992.1/ADSL1) helps with performance but stranger things have been known. Definitely worth trying locking modem on to G.992.3/ADSL2-only, not auto, mode.

On 21CN I can use ISP-end controls to cap the us rate to half a dozen speeds. 488 is one of the rates listed (no 448 as in ADSL Max service).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:20:20 AM by Weaver »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything