Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Review: Firebrick 2900 (FB2900)  (Read 3358 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Review: Firebrick 2900 (FB2900)
« on: April 13, 2018, 09:13:20 PM »

I thought I'd post a short review and some pictures of the web interface and the device.

Some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/a60Lt

This is my first time using a Firebrick device so I'm not by any means familiar with the interface. Despite that, I managed to get it to replace my EdgeRouter Pro 8 within an hour, with bonding fully working as well. I thought I'd have a little bother with setting up NAT for LAN IP's, as some routers can be tricky to setup NAT for LAN IP's and no NAT for public static IP's at the same time, but it was a piece of cake to my surprise.

The interface is quite detailed, you can virtually alter any aspect of networking and there are plenty of settings to mess with which subsequently could also mess you up. Obviously don't mess with what you don't need to, as I don't :)! However what I also like is the fact you can test changes before you actually save them, this means if you do get locked out for some reason then all you have to do is wait up to five minutes or restart the device. The restart time is literally a second and it's up, absolutely incredible!

CQM is useful and nice to look at, I've changed my PPPoE LCP timeout and interval to respectively match AAISP's 'fast timeout' settings. This is more useful for bonded lines where if one line fails then there will be minimal disruption. Speed test below.

Overall I'm pleased with the device. I've not made use of the VoIP stuff yet, I might do one day though. I'm glad I didn't buy the FB2700 and instead waited for the FB2900. It was worth the wait.

AAISP were also exemplary in getting it delivered to me speedily after a little bit of an order misunderstanding. Beware that if it says it's going to take payment by direct debit that it won't be despatched until they've applied for and received the payment via direct debit. This would've meant waiting a little more than a week originally before I received the FB2900, so I'm glad I queried it and got it sorted out (manually sent them the payment via BACs instead).

10/10

* If I could get my first line's banding removed then my downstream would be a bit faster still, AAISP is trying to get TTB to do that. Fingers crossed.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Review: Firebrick 2900 (FB2900)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »

Thank you for your review and for making those images available.  :)

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 10:02:26 PM »

Thank you for your review and for making those images available.  :)

No problem, I just need to tidy the wiring up soon. But I won't do that until a little after I know the result of whether a request to reset DLM was able to be sent by TTB. I'm not expecting it to happen though but we'll see. Hope you enjoyed the short review.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 10:49:13 PM »

Nice job :)

If you can get banding lifted how much difference would it make?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 11:09:05 PM »

Nice job :)

If you can get banding lifted how much difference would it make?

Should be close to +15 megabits downstream. I'm on a locked ECI /r at the moment so I can't check current stats unfortunately. The line was banded at 40 Mbps when banding initially occurred, then a few days later it went to 49 megabits. I was hoping it would lift the banding again a few days following that but nothing has happened sadly.

:shoot: [DLM]