Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recommended modem for a ECI cabinet?  (Read 9751 times)

Jon21

• Reg Member
Recommended modem for a ECI cabinet?
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:37:26 PM »

I'm looking to purchase a modem to attach to my Netgear router. I think the new connection is going to be on a ECI cabinet.

Streetview link to the cabinet.

I've seen the Draytek Vigor 130, but I was wondering what else is recommended?

[Moderator edited to embed the link.]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:37:34 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Recommended modem for a ECI cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »

Yes that is, unfortunately, an ECI equipped cabinet.  :-X

As for a suitable modem (for connecting to a separate router, etc) there is no hard and fast rule. It really depends upon your requirements. For the ability to check the circuit's statistics a modem with a Broadcom chipset is recommended. Perhaps one of the ZyXEL modem/router devices configured to operate in bridge mode. I'll suggest a VMG1312-B10A . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 05:13:43 PM »

8800nl V1 works well in bridge on my eci line. I used to use zyxels. whilst good thet always lost snr on the ds for me over time.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »

If you want the lowest possible latency then I'd advise getting a modem which uses a Lantiq/Infineon chipset. For example, mine line is currently around 5 milliseconds to 1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare's DNS). If I use a Broadcom it's usually around 7ms to 8ms.

In my experience I've found my latency up to 3 milliseconds higher when I use a modem that doesn't have a matching chipset on an ECI DSLAM. The downside is usually the downstream attainable rate is slightly lower as the Infineon/Lantiq chipset seems to apply 'R: 16' (reed solomon coding, a light form of error correction) to the downstream where other chipsets such as Broadcom do not. That's on the assumption that you're on fastpath.

Overall the amount of errors seem less compared to using a modem with a Broadcom chipset for example. The other downside is they don't generally give as much detail about your line compared to Broadcom which is usually quite detailed.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:00:09 PM by Ixel »

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:21:21 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Thinking perhaps matching the chipsets may be best. Are there any other modems, other than the Draytek and the ECI Openreach modem, that have a Lantiq/Infineon chipset?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:01:02 PM by Jon21 »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 08:50:35 PM »

Not a recommendation, but the Netgear DM200 is Lantiq.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »

8800nl V1 works well in bridge on my eci line. I used to use zyxels. whilst good thet always lost snr on the ds for me over time.
Can you provide more information on this?  Did you get back the SNR when you swapped to a 8800nl v1?  Thanks

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »

Slightly off topic, is there a recommended RJ11 cable to use? Seen the Tandy one, which for some reason, I seem to remember having one somewhere. Just wondering if there were any others?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:14:07 PM »

Can you provide more information on this?  Did you get back the SNR when you swapped to a 8800nl v1?  Thanks

tried vmg8324, 8924 and 3925 in bridge over a fair period of time. It would start at around 6.3 then fall. For whatever reason dlm would always resync my ds down. My billion 8800v1 has held on to 4.4  with a sync at 70 / and now 64mb attain on the DS after I got hit by a crosstalker 101 days ago. I can't explain why but the zyxels just seemed to let the snr reduce over time when no crosstalker was hitting me. I don't see this behaviour on the 8800. It seems to hold on no probs.
The 8800 v1 also gets the highest sync on my eci line against the zyxels.

If I still had my mdws stuff I could show you.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 10:49:52 PM »

I have not noticed it before (it started recently) but mine seems to start around 6.3 and after after 10 days I am down to 5.7 again.  I may resync in the morning and see if it resets it back 6.3 it has always in the past.  If it does I guess I may need to look at a 8800v1 but I am setup for a combined  modem/all gigabit ports (vmg8324-b10a eci cab).  Thanks for reply.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:58:40 PM by ktz392837 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 11:26:35 PM »

Without hesitation I recommend the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A.

ZyXEL modems with the BCM63168 chipset were the best performing on my line when I was connected to the ECI cabinet. They were the highest syncing and with consistently lower errors. The VMG1312-B10A being the best of them.

The ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A is ideal for wall mounting right next to the master socket. It has a very similar shape/style/size as the original OpenReach modem, the Huawei HG612.
As it's a discontinued model it is becoming harder to source at a reasonable price.

The above all applies for bridge mode only. I've never tried its router functionality.

Thanks for the replies. Thinking perhaps matching the chipsets may be best. Are there any other modems, other than the Draytek and the ECI Openreach modem, that have a Lantiq/Infineon chipset?

Lantiq chipsets didn't perform anywhere close to Broadcom chipsets on my ECI line.
I'd guess most users on these forums have the same experience.

Slightly off topic, is there a recommended RJ11 cable to use? Seen the Tandy one, which for some reason, I seem to remember having one somewhere. Just wondering if there were any others?

If you have a filtered faceplate (like an MK3 or MK4) it likely has an RJ45 socket. You want an RJ45 to RJ11 for a good fitting cable.
I use Mr Telephones cables (aka my mate Vince on YouTube) but last I checked his eBay shop was closed temporarily.

If you don't use a landline at all you could use 1 of these.
https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-patch-leads/adslvdslbtcat5patchlead1m/

edit: merged double post
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:47:41 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 01:34:51 AM »

Thanks j0hn. Will see how I get on with the Draytek, can always send it back to Amazon if needs be. I’ll keep an eye out for the ZyXEL modem at a reasonable price.

Thanks also for the recommendation on the cable. Hopefully they’ll be available again soon.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 05:34:34 PM »

I thought the Lantiq chipset modems achieved higher speeds than Broadcom for the time G.INP was enabled on ECI cabinets. So the best modem may depend on if G.INP ever returns to ECI cabinets.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 12:29:56 AM »

I thought the Lantiq chipset modems achieved higher speeds than Broadcom for the time G.INP was enabled on ECI cabinets. So the best modem may depend on if G.INP ever returns to ECI cabinets.

There was a weird difference in that the BCM modems had Interleaved delay of 3 set on bearer 1 compared to 0 when using a Lantiq modem with full stats.   
This doesn't usually* happen with BCMs on the Huawei cabs.

----
*But it has started me pondering at how some of the BCM modems on Huawei cabs quite often need a bit of a push to get rid of re-tx high when under 6dB target SNRM....  and if eventually the BCM modems could have been persuaded to get rid of that overhead. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 05:57:21 AM »

There was a weird difference in that the BCM modems had Interleaved delay of 3 set on bearer 1 compared to 0 when using a Lantiq modem with full stats.   
This doesn't usually* happen with BCMs on the Huawei cabs.

Bearer 1 is the overhead channel, and that could just be how ECI cabinets do retransmission (a bit like how ECI cabinets did retransmission with Bearer 0 D=1 whereas Huawei cabinets do D=Q). I didn't think that there were any Lantiq modems that give accurate framing parameters separately for each bearer channel.