Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNR Margin  (Read 2000 times)

noddy

• Reg Member
SNR Margin
« on: April 06, 2018, 06:59:48 AM »

Hi I'm a little confused as to the true SNR Margin , I have one pc connected by ethernet which I run DSLstats from average SNR is 6.1 on a steady day . Now if I run it from my laptop with the pc off but still connected to the ethernet cable it's still 6.1 but if I unplug the cable SNR drops to 5.1 ? Cheers

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: SNR Margin
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 07:40:56 AM »

DSLstats reports what the modem tells it, so it appears that unplugging the ethernet cable to the PC causes some local interference to be generated, resulting in a 1 dB drop in the SNRM. All the values reported should be 'true' at the time they're reported.

I guess this is something to do with how the equipment is interconnected and which parts are earthed (the desktop PC should be).
  Eric

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 08:20:17 AM »

I'll have investigate may be plug the laptop in with the same cable see it it has the same affect . Cheers

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 07:15:10 PM »

I have noticed with these all in one units Billion 8800NL and Zyxel 8924 any device which LAN socket is connected close to the DSL Port for example PORT 1 or 2 would decrease the SNRm by 0.5dB, So for best results I use the ports further away 3 and 4 and zero decrease of SNRm when devices are on or off.

Just something you could easily try.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 08:04:49 PM »

Cheers worth a shot :)

anything