Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: DSLstats v6.5 released  (Read 8355 times)

konrado5

• Reg Member
Re: DSLstats v6.5 released
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2018, 01:33:20 AM »

I haven't got selfish request. I am merely not convinced by kitz argumentation. I explained reasons.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2018, 02:41:49 AM »

I haven't got selfish request. I am merely not convinced by kitz argumentation. I explained reasons.

:o

I thought the reasons were quite clear.   I explained reasons why. 

but I don't want to change default setting on 1 telnet session at a time.

The one telnet session at a time is a restriction of many modems and why Eric has to close the telnet session rather than keep it open once the stats have been obtained. 

Every second is ridiculous because it takes longer than that to gather stats from the modem.    You are asking Eric to develop a feature that changes the structure of his code just for you, because I cannot see anyone else gathering stats more frequently than every minute*.
It is selfish because its putting pressure on Eric who already puts a heck of a lot of time into developing what is without doubt the best line stat monitoring app available.   Fair enough you can request a feature, but if he says no then he will have a valid reason for doing so.   

TBF you are very close to pushing the button.   Eric has said NO.  That's the final word.

*I think there may have been one person who had it running about every 10-15 seconds, and he was OCD about his stats.   He ended up getting banned from here and other forums.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2018, 03:00:40 AM »

Quote from: kitz
The one telnet session at a time is a restriction of many modems and why Eric has to close the telnet session rather than keep it open once the stats have been obtained. 
I don't understand. It is not obstacle to add additional function which somebody could enable ("use one telnet session").

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2018, 06:40:00 AM »

This discussion is at an end. One more word from you on this subject and you will no longer be a member of this forum.
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2018, 07:32:50 AM »

Well said Eric
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

99den

• Just arrived
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2018, 01:14:46 AM »

Hello,

at first thanks for this awesome tool and especially for the x-platform support!! (mainly Linux since I am an Arch user)

I have this tool (v6.5) running now for some weeks and I found some bugs and issues. I hope I am allowed to report some of them in this thread.

• if there is no DSL connection then time runs fast forward on the charts and it creates some weird graphs* after DSL connection is back
    for example see https://i.imgur.com/1xaNS48.png
  • my line uses vdsl with profile 35b and when I activate "include with bitloading" in the Items to monitor options (the other options "SNR per Tone" and "show as separate graph" activated too), then I get an access violation error

You are asking Eric to develop a feature that changes the structure of his code just for you, because I cannot see anyone else gathering stats more frequently than every minute*.
[...]
*I think there may have been one person who had it running about every 10-15 seconds, and he was OCD about his stats.   He ended up getting banned from here and other forums.

*Well I gather information from my router/modem every 5 seconds. :P
Mainly because sometimes (but almost daily and several times a day) I have a disturber on my line which drains my SNRM with different intensity (which can change nearly every second) and imo a granularity of 1m is too low (but I never tested it, maybe it works quite well). But imo going lower than 5s has only little to no benefit.
But I have no plans on getting banned here.

Cheers
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything