Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: DSLstats v6.5 released  (Read 86266 times)

konrado5

• Reg Member
Re: DSLstats v6.5 released
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2018, 01:33:20 AM »

I haven't got selfish request. I am merely not convinced by kitz argumentation. I explained reasons.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2018, 02:41:49 AM »

I haven't got selfish request. I am merely not convinced by kitz argumentation. I explained reasons.

:o

I thought the reasons were quite clear.   I explained reasons why. 

but I don't want to change default setting on 1 telnet session at a time.

The one telnet session at a time is a restriction of many modems and why Eric has to close the telnet session rather than keep it open once the stats have been obtained. 

Every second is ridiculous because it takes longer than that to gather stats from the modem.    You are asking Eric to develop a feature that changes the structure of his code just for you, because I cannot see anyone else gathering stats more frequently than every minute*.
It is selfish because its putting pressure on Eric who already puts a heck of a lot of time into developing what is without doubt the best line stat monitoring app available.   Fair enough you can request a feature, but if he says no then he will have a valid reason for doing so.   

TBF you are very close to pushing the button.   Eric has said NO.  That's the final word.

*I think there may have been one person who had it running about every 10-15 seconds, and he was OCD about his stats.   He ended up getting banned from here and other forums.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2018, 03:00:40 AM »

Quote from: kitz
The one telnet session at a time is a restriction of many modems and why Eric has to close the telnet session rather than keep it open once the stats have been obtained. 
I don't understand. It is not obstacle to add additional function which somebody could enable ("use one telnet session").

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2018, 06:40:00 AM »

This discussion is at an end. One more word from you on this subject and you will no longer be a member of this forum.
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2018, 07:32:50 AM »

Well said Eric
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

99den

• Just arrived
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2018, 01:14:46 AM »

Hello,

at first thanks for this awesome tool and especially for the x-platform support!! (mainly Linux since I am an Arch user)

I have this tool (v6.5) running now for some weeks and I found some bugs and issues. I hope I am allowed to report some of them in this thread.

• if there is no DSL connection then time runs fast forward on the charts and it creates some weird graphs* after DSL connection is back
    for example see

https://i.imgur.com/1xaNS48.png
  • my line uses vdsl with profile 35b and when I activate "include with bitloading" in the Items to monitor options (the other options "SNR per Tone" and "show as separate graph" activated too), then I get an access violation error

You are asking Eric to develop a feature that changes the structure of his code just for you, because I cannot see anyone else gathering stats more frequently than every minute*.
[...]
*I think there may have been one person who had it running about every 10-15 seconds, and he was OCD about his stats.   He ended up getting banned from here and other forums.

*Well I gather information from my router/modem every 5 seconds. :P
Mainly because sometimes (but almost daily and several times a day) I have a disturber on my line which drains my SNRM with different intensity (which can change nearly every second) and imo a granularity of 1m is too low (but I never tested it, maybe it works quite well). But imo going lower than 5s has only little to no benefit.
But I have no plans on getting banned here.

Cheers

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2019, 02:22:03 PM »

Hi

Iam trying to use DSL stats 6.5 on  a Zyxell VMG 8924-B10A but upon login it says "UNABLE TO LOG IN TO ROUTER"...?  I got this router as I was told it had the Telnet unlocked and could access the stats, Im just hoping this one isnt locked out... or its going back on ebay

can anyone help?

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2019, 02:51:55 PM »

Can you log into the device manually by telnet? If you're not familiar with this you can install PuTTY on your machine and use that.

Depending on what firmware version the router has, it's quite likely that only a single telnet access is allowed at any one time. This will only be a problem if you have two devices trying to log in together.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »

Can you log into the device manually by telnet? If you're not familiar with this you can install PuTTY on your machine and use that.

Depending on what firmware version the router has, it's quite likely that only a single telnet access is allowed at any one time. This will only be a problem if you have two devices trying to log in together.

ive fixed it Eric thanks :)

it was TELNET wasnt enable in the zyxell webGUI - the program has come on leaps and bounds since I last used it about 4.5 years ago :) love the email/alert feature
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

m48t02

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2019, 01:17:40 AM »

Hi guys,

This question is directed to roseway - excellent application.

I am running 64bit linux DSLstats (6.5) headlessly within Xvfb on a system without a display (./dslstats minimised startrecording), and it's very stable. I am however not able to interact with the GUI, so am directly editing the ~/.dslstats/dslstats.ini file and having to kill the running process and restart DSLstats. In doing so I am loosing whatever data has been cached within the process during the stop/start process.

My question is therefore, is it possible to send an ANSI C signal to the DSLstats process PID after editing the .ini file, in order for it to reread the config file without the need to restart the process  SIGHUP, SIGUSR1 etc?

I have tried the obvious, but DSLstats doesn't currently seem able to handle the signal, and quits.

If not currently implemented, could it possibly be a feature request?

I know this application is used on Raspberry Pi's and I'm sure this would remove the need for VNC etc. and provide an alternate method to GUI administration.

SIGUSR1 to pause, SIGUSR2 to read config and start:  e.g. kill -USR1 <pid> ; kill -USR2 <pid>

Many thanks for considering.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:44:37 AM by m48t02 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2019, 10:52:50 AM »

DSLstats automatically saves its configuration and error data on shutdown. If you've already worked out what manual changes you want to make to make to the ini file, then shutting down, editing the ini file and restarting would only take a minute or so. Unless I'm failing to understand what you're hoping to achieve.

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to make significant changes to DSLstats in the forseeable future because of an eyesight problem which is limiting the time I can spend staring at a screen.
  Eric

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2019, 11:12:24 AM »

I don't think he has an issue doing what you said, but...

In doing so I am loosing whatever data has been cached within the process during the stop/start process.

I think he's asking for a clean way to do the shutdown when running headlessly.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

m48t02

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2019, 02:46:04 PM »

DSLstats automatically saves its configuration and error data on shutdown. If you've already worked out what manual changes you want to make to make to the ini file, then shutting down, editing the ini file and restarting would only take a minute or so. Unless I'm failing to understand what you're hoping to achieve.

Many thanks for the feedback, it's probably my not using dslstats correctly. But if running from the GUI, I can store graph data to XML on exit, and then restore the graph data when it is restarted. I currently only snapshot every 24 hours to get daily graphs in single image files for upload to remote server, and if I headlessly stop the process midday - I loose the first 12hrs of data upon restart - I can't restore from XML while headless?

I'm sure when I have all the settings correct this will be less of an issue, as I won't be restarting. I was hoping I could trigger the app to re-read its config without having to shut it down and loose the data.

Am I missing a trick here?

Fully understand on the development, and many thanks for the existing program :)

Cheers

m48t02

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2019, 03:49:57 PM »

I don't think he has an issue doing what you said, but...

I think he's asking for a clean way to do the shutdown when running headlessly.

I run dslstats in 'screen' under linux, so the shutdown is fine using CTRL-C, program terminates correctly and cleanly. It's the data loss in performing a restart that I am trying to solve....

Thanks again.

Alucidnation

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2019, 07:18:50 PM »

I know this might be the wrong question, but is there any version for OSX or one in the pipeline?

I only have a windows laptop at the moment, but have a MacMini right next to my modem.

Thanks.

:)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11