Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: DSLstats v6.5 released  (Read 85502 times)

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: DSLstats v6.5 released
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2018, 07:06:52 PM »

Why in the world do you even want to try and gather stats once per second? The modem itself doesnt update that fast in my experience.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2018, 07:49:55 PM »

If you've got a modem that normally only allows a single telnet session, and you've got the full root shell level access (which you usually do if you've got the ability to run the stats collecting commands), then you could probably enable additional telnet sessions by running extra instances of telnetd, each one listening on a different port.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »

Because if implemented in the way you are requesting, it would cause problems for those who have modems which only allow 1 telnet session at a time of which there are quite a few.
Perhaps I have explained it not clear enough but I don't want to change default setting on 1 telnet session at a time. I want merely additional feature which would be perhaps recommended on very fast sampling (sampling every second or every 2 seconds). Everybody could enable or disable this option.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2018, 09:27:07 PM »

How much did it cost you to buy/register DSLstats in the first place? How much are you paying per month/year for maintenance?

If like the rest of us the answer is nothing you just have to accept whatever the author of the software offers. Nobody is forcing you to use it and if there is something about it you don't like you have four choices:
  • Accept it as it is
  • Find some software that does what you want
  • Write your own
  • Do without
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2018, 09:34:25 PM »

I also not forcing roseway to change this code. I merely explain why I think it could be added.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2018, 10:26:58 PM »

Please understand konrado5 its free software, Eric develops it unpaid and he has the final say on whats implemented, he told you no which should be the end of the matter, I personally agree with his reasoning.  Adding every second support is the sort of thing that will cause problems with crashing modems, incomplete stats etc.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2018, 10:27:11 PM »

I also not forcing roseway to change this code. I merely explain why I think it could be added.

You still have not explained what aspect of the statistics you think are not being captured with the current sample rate. If you want a new feature, then at least give a compelling reason for it if you are not willing to implement it yourself. What do you think you could capture at 1 sample a second that is missed at one every 30? All errors accumulate and are still read, do you think you have some sub 30s noise bursts that you are aligning perfectly with to not sample? It makes no sense.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2018, 10:35:36 PM »

I have am radio enabled and I notice that I see new CRC error when I hear crack on the radio. Moreover, capturing at 1 sample a second is already feature of DSLStats. I merely give tips how this feature could work better.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2018, 10:39:18 PM »

So you are going on CRCs... they could be sampled once every 10 minutes and they would still be included. Why does 1 second updating matter to you?

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2018, 10:43:09 PM »

So you are going on CRCs... they could be sampled once every 10 minutes and they would still be included. Why does 1 second updating matter to you?
Because I have CRC errors which I hear on AM radio and CRC errors which I don't hear on AM radio. If crc errors are sampled every second I know if crack on AM radion in some second gives CRC error. Furthermore, rarely I have single second lowering of SNR margin.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2018, 10:46:25 PM »

If you are so inclined I suggest you get set up with a software defined radio and go chase your noise sources.

Having the CRCs show up in your DSLstats graphs real time isnt giving you any new information, and would be of little use to others even in the same situation.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2018, 10:48:25 PM »

Konrado, my answer is No, for several reasons mentioned above.
  Eric

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2018, 10:51:38 PM »

Konrado, my answer is No, for several reasons mentioned above.
Perhaps I have explained it not clear enough but I don't want to change default setting on 1 telnet session at a time. I want merely additional feature which would be perhaps recommended on very fast sampling (sampling every second or every 2 seconds). Everybody could enable or disable this option.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2018, 11:10:37 PM »

If you want this then write it yourself. From experience most modems/routers take seconds in total from telnet login to cmd output to close. If you think you have a special case that requires fast sampling then write it and demonstrate its worth, there are many languages with telnet clients that are easy to use. If you only sample a few things, no long lists like SNR per tone etc, fast sampling should be possible.

But again, can you tell me why this would be useful? You say:
Because I have CRC errors which I hear on AM radio and CRC errors which I don't hear on AM radio.

Where does differentiating between the two get you? Does it let you find the noise source better? I'm lost.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2018, 11:56:57 PM »

konrado5What do you not understand? Roseway has said NO - that is the end of it - give up!
On second thoughts - keep going and arguing - the result will be a permanent ban and the rest of us will no longer have to put up with your selfish requests!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11