Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband  (Read 62642 times)

sof006

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2020, 12:48:55 AM »

I had the same response. Sales seems like the wrong avenue to me. Surely upper level techie type needed to get on board with the trial perhaps.

I'll be sure to post back here if and when I hear back from Zen

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2020, 07:44:30 PM »

I have been on at Zen a couple of times now about getting on the openreach trial, 1st time was a flat no but now with this new info I have raised it again.

I would suggest any other Zen ECI user's that are keen to see this then get on to Zen as they still seem a bit unaware of it given my latest response 😖

The last time I had g.inp on eci was 2016..

Just emailed Zen, see what the response is but I expect it'll be a similar reply to everyone else. Hopefully the more emails they get, the more likely they are to get involved.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2020, 07:50:25 PM »

yup. I will try and make a call this week to follow up my email given the response...

BungalowBill

• Just arrived
« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2020, 08:27:13 AM »

RE: Zen Internet.

On Thursday (11th June), I had to speak to our Zen account manager regarding an unrelated matter; by which I mean my employer's account manager of course.

While I had him on the line, I asked him about Openreach NGA briefing (NGA017/20), as we now have quite a few pandemic induced teleworkers, using “Zen Small Business Fibre”, i.e. GEA-FTTC, connected to lousy ECI street cabinets, which includes my own connection.

He said that, whilst they hadn’t yet reached a final decision on the matter, they were unlikely to opt in to enabling G.INP on existing ECI circuits.

I then asked if he was able to offer an explanation; whilst I was expecting a reply along the lines of “the risk of non SIN498 compatible CPE etc., etc.”, what he actually said was, “Because of the effect it might have on off-net connections”.

I asked him what exactly he meant by “off-net connections”, to which he replied, “commercially sensitive so can’t elaborate”.

Any ideas?
Bill

Bill

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2020, 08:44:27 AM »

Sadly if zen don't give us the opportunity to benefit from it I for one will be looking to move to an ISP that will ???

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2020, 09:35:32 AM »

It is a pity Plusnet don't appear to have any comment especially as they seemed to be good on the first round of the trial.  The original post on Plusnet forums has been marked as resolved for weeks.

If anyone has any info or can get some info that would be great :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2020, 10:27:01 AM »

From Googling it seems that on-net is supplied  over equipment owned by the ISP, so off-net maybe when they are using others equipment owned by others, so might be the difference between using BT back haul and TT for instance, over Zens own, off net probably complicates things when there is a problem.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2020, 10:40:31 AM »

I got a different reply from Tech Support:

"Thank you for your email, I have been investigating this and unfortunately we cannot opt Openreach to implement G.inp on your line. Is it their infrastructure and have been implementing it over the years so it will happen once they plan it to go on your cabinet. So in answer to your question we do have them on our lines but we have no say in when it is implemented."

For what it is worth, I have replied to clarify the difference between ECI and the general implementation and referenced the NGA briefing, but I think we are out of luck with Zen!

I too suspect I will leave when my contract is up, depending on what the take-up is with other ISPs. I assume BT will be opting in?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #218 on: June 15, 2020, 12:23:00 PM »

I spoke with my provider (EE) and they have no ide if EE will opt in for this. Probably time for changes, got few months more with EE and will look at autumn for different provider.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #219 on: June 15, 2020, 12:50:01 PM »

Some ISP who opts in is going to get a lot of new users if they are the only ones opting in  ;D

Can't really understand why Zen seem so reluctant...it seems to work so let us have it  ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:52:04 PM by skyeci »

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2020, 01:13:04 PM »

Same problem here with Zen, a combination of not understanding and not willing, not like Zen really
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2020, 01:34:01 PM »

Same problem here with Zen, a combination of not understanding and not willing, not like Zen really
Maybe they'll join the dots. Whilst it is a tiny number of people, relatively, several people suddenly enquiring about the same thing will hopefully be snagged somewhere...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BungalowBill

• Just arrived
« Reply #222 on: June 15, 2020, 02:21:41 PM »

@Ronski

I’ve been doing some digging, regarding what he meant by “off-net”:

It would appear that Zen aren’t just buying backhaul from TalkTalk Wholesale, they are buying FTTC End User Access from TalkTalk as well.

i.e. Where Zen are using TTW backhaul, from an OLT (head-end exchange) location, they are also buying the end user access from TalkTalk, as a managed package, just like any other TTW re-seller would.

In those specific instances, the enablement of G.INP would be down to TTW to request and not Zen.
No excuse in the case of circuits procured directly from Openreach, but it does complicate matters somewhat.

Bill
Bill

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #223 on: June 15, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »

I suppose its just easier to say no to everyone, rather than explain why they can and can't.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2020, 08:18:06 PM »

So I have had a few further emails now from Zen with a bit of progress. The person concerned has seen a number of related emails in regards to eci g.inp. asked for permission to send on my emails to their internal contact who may be dealing with this so a bit of movement perhaps...

Keep on at em!..  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25