Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25

Author Topic: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband  (Read 62077 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »

I agree on the cutting corners, openreach have a history of spending as little as possible on capital expenditure.  I also called it (to much abuse) that prior to g.fast product launch it would be deployed from cabinets not street poles.

However what I have also said before, is that if this ECI equipment was not available, its entirely possible some of us in ECI areas may not have had VDSL at all, it may be the only reason our areas became financially viable for them, and I would rather have ECI vdsl over 4km ADSL or VM cable.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:47:45 PM by Chrysalis »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »

Yeah it's better than nothing, just slightly annoying perhaps that we're paying the same price for a lower standard of service.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »

I've just noticed this thread. I'd like to say I'm shocked or suprised. But sadly I'm not.

I have said somewhere else that I suspect ECI problems will be low down on the list of solving now FTTP is becoming more of a priority.

G.fast, if deployed in the way OR first said, could have solved all these problems.

BT/OR seem to be extremely slow when it comes to rolling out new technology. I remember when Be was using their own ADSL2+ technology many years before BT started doing it.

When we come out of the EU hopefully Ofcom will be disbanded and the landscape will change.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 07:49:56 PM »

Don't believe for one moment it's halted because of rouge Modems not able to perform bit-swapping the Huawei estate has all different kinds of modems connected to it across the UK without any issue, so I can only think the real problem must lie within the ECI Cabinet hardware.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »

Newt yeah sort of, its probably a compatibility issue, broadcom is probably the biggest name in the xDSL industry, I expect when modems are introduced to market, if they get tested then its much more likely against broadcom dslams than lantiq dslams.  Sky's g.inp ADSL I believe uses broadcom dslams (not entirely sure tho), which means broadcom have a lot of technical experience with the technology.

Back in my ukonline days using connexant dslams, the dslams were configured to be more capable than BT wholesale's dslams, by supporting SRA, and it was amazing when it worked, but compatibility was a dog compared to broadcom. SRA itself only worked on older gen connexant modems, and without SRA overall reliability and performance was inferior to broadcom.

The hauwei deployment is not problem free, but rather they have managed to get automated workarounds in place to get problems down to an acceptable level for support costs.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 10:26:29 AM »

Sky's g.inp ADSL I believe uses broadcom dslams (not entirely sure tho), which means broadcom have a lot of technical experience with the technology.

You're correct - they're Huawei MSANS with BCM chips.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

EvilShubunkin

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »

well 2 years come april 16th for my line since its removal after the initial 2 week period.

I wonder if  that chap on here and mdws still has it on his line, trying to remember his name. got it "EvilShubunkin"

Yeah still have G.INP on my ECI line - never lost it since it was first enabled yonks ago.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 07:43:51 AM »

Yeah still have G.INP on my ECI line - never lost it since it was first enabled yonks ago.

nice- wish OR would sort it out.still seems odd you have managed to hold on to it for nearly 2 years. perhaps you are one of the trial lines too...

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 03:11:37 PM »

As its been a couple of months does anyone have any further information on whether there is hope for ECI cab customers or has all work stopped and hope is completely lost?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 03:33:51 PM »

I don't know either, would like to know but I'm betting we'll be waiting at least another year (if ever) before we get any possible progress again.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 04:17:53 PM »

be very surprised if it's this year or even ever ?...... it's gone on too long now I feel..

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »

Got a feeling they'll put more of their focus into the G.Fast rollout to be honest, seems a bit pointless wasting blood, sweat and tears with vectoring methods on ECI cabs.

Although I still think Openreach's direction with G.Fast is screwed as well.
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 05:01:35 PM »

Maybe BT could pick the ECI cabs first for replacement by G.Fast and then dump them that way?

Doesn't help many people though obviously. But it’s presumably just a matter of getting heavy with the developer and forcing them to get the software finished? Unless the hardware is inadequate and can't deliver the required cpu performance, or else the software absolutely needs hardware support to get the job done because it isn't a software-only subsystem?

None of this makes them any money of course. Not a cent.

Indeed, what incentive do they have to give me FTTP or FTTC instead of 2.5 Mbps ADSL2, never mind ECI software upgrades ? Neither makes any money for them, it just eats into their profits.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »

Maybe BT could pick the ECI cabs first for replacement by G.Fast and then dump them that way?

Doesn't help many people though obviously. But it’s presumably just a matter of getting heavy with the developer and forcing them to get the software finished? Unless the hardware is inadequate and can't deliver the required cpu performance, or else the software absolutely needs hardware support to get the job done because it isn't a software-only subsystem?

None of this makes them any money of course. Not a cent.

Indeed, what incentive do they have to give me FTTP or FTTC instead of 2.5 Mbps ADSL2, never mind ECI software upgrades ? Neither makes any money for them, it just eats into their profits.
I might be wrong, but I'm sure I read that its chipset hardware and firmware that's the issue on ECI cabs? (Amongst other things)

To be honest, a lot of the FTTC estate is ECI (all of Southampton is ECI), so it would take some significant investment and manpower to change those all up just for minimal current product improvements - for what would be zero return as you said, no making at all in that.

Whereas leaving the ECI cabs as is and focusing on Huawei pods for G.Fast would likely be the most cost effective option, as that would provide an additional service at which they could sell to ISP's. And that’s also not forgetting their FTTP rollout and putting their manpower into that.

Give it a few years and there will be tons of dormant ECI cabs bearing graffiti all over the country, I'm sure of it!
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 05:23:11 PM »

We have a user from Israel on the forums who is connected to the exact same ECI DSLAM with what certainly appears to be the same 206 firmware.

That particular user has G.INP working perfectly.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25