Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25

Author Topic: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband  (Read 62368 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2020, 08:32:20 AM »

When G.INP was turned on originally on my ECI cabinet it worked perfectly for me. Been interlaced more or less permanently since it was turned off!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2020, 12:12:46 PM »

@Bowdon as you’re aware, I use IP-bonded lines; it works superbly and I thoroughly recommend it if you’re sufficiently fed up with your speed. Unfortunately we all knew there was going to be a honeymoon with FTTC, as you say, until your neighbour eventually goes for it especially. Still that doesn’t help with the gnawing feeling of disappointment I’m sure; not that I know, as I’ve never even seen FTTC.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2020, 12:16:15 PM »

I wonder if my line being below the handback threshold would push Plusnet into opting in?

Incidentally, does 3dB on ECI actually mean 3dB or is it more like 3.8dB?  Because with the Lantiq adjustment to SNRm that seems to be as low as either of my lines will go, frustrating as my Zen line could have full sync if it would push a little lower.

It won't go lower because your line is banded.

With the right Lantiq modern you can go below 3dB.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2020, 02:14:47 PM »

There's a few ECI lines which have been interleaved over the past few months which don't follow the rules as we know them.
My ECI lime no longer uses 2880 ES / 20 resyncs per day it seems to be dependant on SES also now.  If you get enough SES you end up on interleave even if you only have 500ES and 0 resyncs.  It is very annoying as I have to wait 14 days for it to be removed.  Basically a few seconds of SES and you have a reduced speed line for 14d.  Hopefully GINP will help so I really do hope GINP is coming.

I hope we get to see some people posting when they notice ECI GINP on their lines.  I still miss MDWS.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2020, 03:04:16 PM »

It won't go lower because your line is banded.

With the right Lantiq modern you can go below 3dB.

I figured as much, but why would the line be banded in the first place?  I don't think I've ever synced at this speed before, went from full speed to much lower and its still on fastpath.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

factorial

• Just arrived
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2020, 10:51:47 PM »

Hope it works. I'm on fastpath again (~73Mbps, 4-5ms ping to London servers), but it usually goes back to interleaved after 2-4 months :-/

Same here. Hoping with toes, fingers and eyes crossed it comes to my cab as BT have some SERIOUS geographic issues with their cab locations (I have a cab within 30m of my house, but the one I'm connected to is ~600m away!), and while I initially started with FastPath, I'm now below the minimum handback threshold with a massive interleave both up and down.

To add insult to injury, both cabs are G.Fast-enabled. Argh!

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2020, 12:15:41 AM »

If this is ISP 100,000 lines opt in how can this possibly work - wouldn"t this be a cabinet not specific line setting? The last time it was enabled we had to wait for the cabinet having it enabled and then everyone on that cabinet had ginp?  Confused?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2020, 09:27:40 AM »

DLM doesn't do the same thing to every line on a cabinet.

Because a cabinet can do something doesn't mean it will for every line - remember CPs can request specific profiles: this is a new one.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2020, 04:40:58 PM »

Confused?

I suspect you are confusing G.Inp (ITU-T G.998.4) with G.Vector (ITU-T G.993.5). The former, as CarlT has pointed out, can be per line (circuit) but the latter is either all lines (circuits) per DSLAM or none.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2020, 10:39:46 PM »

Yes you are correct I should stop posting in the middle of the night :)

I guess we may see some cabinets getting updated with new software unless they are already all updated.

I wonder if we will find out which isps are accepting trialists and whether you can volunteer?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2020, 03:38:37 PM »

They may have already been updated. 
I had an overnight outage about 5/6 wks ago.  Only noticed because I was streaming something at the time.  If that's what it was, it didn't take long.

If like previous trials it wont be anything that you as a consumer can select to opt into.   
The ISP decides if they want to participate and then that usually includes all their customers using that product.   I suppose it depends if they think it will be advantageous and/or if it will incur any additional workload.   
Plusnet usually opt in to most trials, but it's not always a foregone conclusion - for some reason they didn't for the initial 'x'dB trial.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2020, 06:18:20 PM »

My mate was enabled 61.5Mbps as I thought he would easily get around 72Mbps but until I checked his green cabinet it was ECI - and he is with Plusnet ISP so I told him to ask Plusnet tomorrow to get option in trial of G.INP to get it enabled

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2020, 10:39:51 PM »

and the standard reps probably wont have a clue :(

1) The trial hasn't started yet.
2) We don't even know if any ISPs have yet opted in - or even been accepted to opt in as it's still too early. The opt in decisions are taken at a much higher level than CS/TS and we as consumers have little influence.
3) It will be on a ISP basis and not by line - backed up by the number which they anticipate will be on the trial.   Sometimes they do a by line basis trails which is usually restricted to say staff members and that figure is a lot less than 100k .

If they opt in, then we will find out eventually in a month or so.
As Carl has already said the DLM works on profiles which does allow for specific ISP profiles.   The easiest way I can think how to compare it which you may understand, is similar to how an ISP can select 'Speed' or 'Standard' and that then becomes default for all their customers.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2020, 06:10:05 AM »

AAISP have kindly took this up the chain at my request to see what info they can get.

With both BTw and TTB.

Same here. Hoping with toes, fingers and eyes crossed it comes to my cab as BT have some SERIOUS geographic issues with their cab locations (I have a cab within 30m of my house, but the one I'm connected to is ~600m away!), and while I initially started with FastPath, I'm now below the minimum handback threshold with a massive interleave both up and down.

To add insult to injury, both cabs are G.Fast-enabled. Argh!

Know the feeling, I have a cab across the road from me, at a guess maybe 5-10m from pole.  But I am connected to one about 370m away.

The reason for these oddities in that the coverage for each cabinet is not a circle it is more like a D shape.  So basically half a circle, one side of the cabinet would be connected to another cabinet and the other side to that cabinet.    Sometimes it might be even less radius than half a circle like nearer quarter of a circle.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 06:14:16 AM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25

anything