Announcements > News Articles

Openreach UK Trial Finally Brings G.INP to ECI FTTC Broadband

<< < (3/75) > >>

kitz:
Just found an archived copy here of COE VDSL2 supported linecards,  which shows that there was a VTU-C64 which contained a Vinax 2.2 chipset, however I note that it only supports 48 DSL interfaces.  That could be a limitation though of the ECI F61 rather than the C64  :-\

smallal:
Openreach need to go back to ECI immediately & demand a REAL fix under the sale of goods act.
The equipment is clearly 'not fit for purpose' under UK law, as it doesn't comply with the spec. they were given for the equipment.
Replacement circuit boards for the street cabs. is the obvious & cheapest solution, they're plug-in units so can utilise the existing cabinets & power supplies.
It's time to stop messing about with trying to fix the existing hardware, after all it isn't days or weeks of failure, it's YEARS!
It isn't working & customers are suffering.

PhilipD:
Hi

Sale of goods act doesn't apply to commercial purchases so there will be a separate contract in place.  I suspect that contract will not include things that can't be added now that wasn't part of the original equipment.

The blame is squarely with BT for commissioning VDSL without everything working from day one, they cut corners at the beginning and installed VDSL Lite, so we have no vectoring (apart from some exceptions) and no G.INP on ECI cabinets.  This sort of things is repeated all the time, commercially and in retail, where we buy a product that is missing a "feature" that will be enabled later by a firmware update, which either happens late in the day or often not at all, and usually fails to work very well if it is implemented.

G.Fast is the same, corners cut and we now have pods at the side of cabinets and no reduction in line lengths for anyone.  ADSL was also similar, Seamless rate adaption was an option they missed out, and they also never implemented PhyR retransmission on ADSL, which is what G.INP is today.  So G.INP, a technology available a long time ago on ADSL, is still absence from a very large percentage of VDSL lines.

It's about time BT stopped messing around with corroded, unshielded, hardly twisted paired cable that wasn't much good for audio let alone data, and got around to upgrading the infrastructure for the 21st century.

Regards

Phil

Ronski:
Well said PhilipD, it's also about time that Ofcom stopped putting barriers in their way and just let them get on with it.

smallal:
Well G.FAST should solve all my problems, but I've no idea when the pod on my street cab will go live.
It's been fitted & is working according to the Kelly Comms crew who wired it up.
However, trying to find out when exchanges like mine are going live is like trying to get blood out of a stone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version