Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DSLstats pre-release version 6.3.5  (Read 7660 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: DSLstats pre-release version 6.3.5
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 11:24:17 PM »

I'm using context editor which is usually quite good at this stuff and having opened it in wordpad I see the same - first block is two records then each record is a block of data on its own starting with a blank, just as context shows it.  So I'm not sure what to think now every which way I open it the same format shows.

Stuart

ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 12:04:15 AM »

I have tried opening the "Stats" file in "Libre Office Calc" and it, too, shows the first two records concatenated together . . .

This is what "file" and "wc" utilities tell me about the "Stats" file --

Code: [Select]
[Duo2 2018-03-31]$ file Stats
Stats: ASCII text, with very long lines
[Duo2 2018-03-31]$ wc -c Stats
118111 Stats
[Duo2 2018-03-31]$ wc -w Stats
39198 Stats
[Duo2 2018-03-31]$ wc -l Stats
278 Stats
[Duo2 2018-03-31]$

Notice that the "file" utility states "with very long lines" (plural) and that the "wc" utility confirms that the file contains 278 lines. Lines which end with a character with the hexadecimal value 0x0a. Confirmed by examining the "Stats" file with "hexdump -C"???
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 12:07:21 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 12:05:21 AM »

I open the file in nano on RPI (save each minute in same file option is enabled still .4 release), on the first line there is 31/03/2018 00:00 ...values.... and 31/03/2018 00:01 ....values.... entries and then on 2nd line the 31/03/2018 00:02 starts at the 3rd character.  The 3rd line starts at the 3rd character with 31/03/2018 00:03 and repeat.  I will open up the file in Notepad++ on a Windows machine to check what line endings there are and whether they are wrong in the morning?

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 12:42:23 AM »

I have opened the stats file in LibreOffice on a Pi.

Each data sample begins with a date and time. Between the first and second data sample there are 3 space characters. Between the second and third data sample there is a space, a paragraph marker, then two further spaces. The same applies between all following data samples.
The last data sample recorded concludes with a space and a paragraph marker, and I assume the next data sample to be appended will start with two spaces.

It seems that the second and subsequent data samples conclude with a paragraph marker as they are added, but the first data sample doesn't.

I'm sorry to contradict you, Eric, but there does appear to be a bug.  :(
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 12:56:40 AM by Westie »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 01:18:56 AM »

The issue here is not the file, but the way you're reading it. There are no newline characters in the file, it's just a long string with the fields delineated with spaces. If you open it in a GUI text editor this will break lines according to its own rules. Stuart and Kitz - if you open it in Wordpad you won't see any leading spaces. Or any of you could open it in Libre Office Writer, and again there won't be any leading spaces. Change the font size and you'll see that the line breaks are in different places.

I don't use wordpad.  I use various text editors which don't add their own spacing such as notepad++ and glogg.     
No matter what I do, I always see the same format.
I've tried stretching the page width.   Ive tried changing the fonts.   Ive turned font wrap on and off.    I even dug out word pad to view in that but its still the same.   

I attach below various screen caps which show the issue.

Attachments

1) Viewing in glogg.    Note 00:00 & 00:01 are always on the same line.  I can stretch and change the format but the issue remains
2) Viewing in notepad++ with wordwrap off
3) Installed wordpad.   Issue still there

cont in next post//

4) Viewing in notepad++ showing 00:00 and 00:01 on same line.   CRLF separates for 00:02 onwards
5) Viewing in notepad++ showing 00:00 and 00:01 has three spaces

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:40:05 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 01:21:33 AM »

///cont...  its taken me ages to capture all these and no-one else's reply was there when I started..  but since I took the time to capture them may as well post :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:40:26 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 07:34:34 AM »

I'm sorry, we've been talking at cross-purposes. I was talking about the single Stats file representing one sample, so I misunderstood what you were all saying.

The format of the long Stats file representing up to a day's worth of samples is supposed to separate the samples with two spaces, and within each sample the fields are separated by single spaces. Looking at my own Stats files I see that the intended format is adhered to sometimes, but at other times a line feed (hex 0A) has crept in. That's on a Linux system which uses LF as line breaks, so I can believe that on Windows systems CRLF appears sometimes. I was wrong, so I'm sorry. :-[

I'm going to take a bit of time now to resolve this. Please continue to report any other issues.
  Eric

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 09:06:13 AM »

Did you delete (or rename) the present dslstats.ini file before running v6.3.5? As I said before, 'default' means running the program as a new user, without any existing configuration. I just tried this on my system, and it responded as described, allocating "/home/eric/.dslstats/Snapshots" as the snapshots directory. This was on a Linux system, not the Raspberry Pi, but the code is the same so the result on the RPi should be the same.

No, did not delete, rename or modify the existing v.6.3.4 dslstats.ini file as per my normal program change procedure.

You can no longer manually edit the directory, but you can still click on the directory icon at the end of the box and select your preferred directory there.

Ahh, while realising that the manual path edit was now disabled as per your revision just assumed that the directory icon would now also be disabled !
As you have said, not the case, path now changed to /home/pi/.dslstats/Snapshots and test snapshots save location verified.

Apologies for adding to your already substantial work load associated with the new program revision and taking up time with my minor queries, your support is very much appreciated.

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »

No apology needed, I probably didn't explain clearly enough. :)
  Eric

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 09:53:50 AM »

Has anyone else got an issue with the 2 day ES graph?  Mine is not showing any data for yesterday but it has been working fine? Has the change over to the 1st of the month caused an issue?

I do not know how it is supposed to be working but can I suggest that each minute of data is stored on a separate line instead of one huge line?  A huge line is fine for a computer but for me it is much easier to compare values scrolling down.

DSLstats is great and thanks for the continued development.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 09:57:02 AM by ktz392837 »

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2018, 10:02:19 AM »

Hi. Same here No ES for yesterday following midnight. I guess this is related to the month end cross over. I expect it would correct today. Somthing im sure Eric can sort in due course as it’s another 30 days until next month 😄😄

Tony

Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2018, 10:02:52 AM »

Yup same here failng to show 31st March data.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »

Yes, same here on my 3 active RPi's (different lines/locations), currently still running v.6.3.4 before updating today.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »

Yes, I agree. It will be fixed within 30 days. :)

By the way, looking back over the previous 100 days, I see that the graph works properly at the beginning of January, February and March. It's only today (1 April) that it fails to show the last day of the previous month.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:53:01 AM by roseway »
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »

I do not know how it is supposed to be working but can I suggest that each minute of data is stored on a separate line instead of one huge line?  A huge line is fine for a computer but for me it is much easier to compare values scrolling down.

This will be referring to the data store Stats file. What do others think? At this stage I can do it either way.

Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything