Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Broadband Up To 8 meg = 1 meg cap?  (Read 12950 times)

madcolster

BT Broadband Up To 8 meg = 1 meg cap?
« on: November 08, 2006, 09:13:46 PM »

Story so far:
Had BT line reactivated. On that date, joined BT Total Broadband Up to 8 Meg. During registration, was informed that my line would only possibly support 1 meg. This is, of course, rubbish. I phoned the BT support people who said that it was likely that the stats on my line were not in the bt wholesale database and it defaulted to 1 meg. I specifically asked whether it would be an up to 8 meg ADSL Max connection and they said YES. So I went ahead and registered.

Now, yesterday my line was activated for broadband. It work FANTASTICALLY. Except that it appears capped at 1 meg. My neighbour can get an "up to 7 meg" connection based on his telephone number in BT Wholesale, whereas mine says I'll be lucky to get 256kbps. Ha. Indeed.

From my router, here are my current stats:

Uptime:   2503 days, 21:04:25
Modulation:   G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   288 / 1,152
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   337.04 / 732.06
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 10.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   10.0 / 18.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   30.0 / 30.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

What should I do to get BT to uncap my connection here? I've tried emailling customer support but they don't understand what I'm talking about.

Any help would be very very helpful,

Kind regards,

Madcol

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Broadband Up To 8 meg = 1 meg cap?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 09:53:55 PM »

Hi and welcome

>> Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   288 / 1,152

Theyve put you an a fixed 1Mb adsl connection not the 8Mb Max.

>> Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   10.0 / 18.0

Your line should easily be able to support the 8Mb service.

>> SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   30.0 / 30.5

A nice healthy SNR Margin.

Youre about the 3rd person in the past week or so that Ive seen in the same situation with BT.
They seem to be refusing to put anyone on max if the data base says 1Mb..  regardless of what the line stats are. :(

I think the problem is CS support dont even seem to know the first thing about line stats and have never even heard of SNR Margin.

I did a draft letter for someone else to send on to BT..  I'll go find it and paste it below.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:04:30 PM »

Draft letter which you may wish to adapt to suit your own situation.

I wish to upgrade my account to the new higher speeds.

However I strongly believe that the BT Wholesale database is wrong and this the only reason why you cannot perform an immediate regrade.

A test performed at http://eco.btwholesale.com/broadband1/ shows that my line will only support  XXXXXXX
But based on line stats taken from my router I should be able to support at least 6.5 - 8Mbps

I provide the following information to substantiate my claim that the BT Wholesale is showing wrong information for my line.

1). My downstream attenuation is 18.0dB. ~ Acceptable range for 2Mb is 0-42 dB, so I'm well within the acceptable limits.

2). My current downstream SNR Margin is 30.5dB. ~ This is an exceptionally good Signal to Noise Ratio and therefore should have no problems retaining synchronisation on higher speeds.

3). My distance from the exchange is approx XXX  Km and whilst I realise that my line length may be longer, I am still well within the guideline of 3.5km from the exchange.

4). Neighbours on either side of my property, already have 2Mb on traditional adsl. **

As proof to backup my claims I provide a screen shot of my router statistics showing the afore mentioned figures.

Therefore as my ISP would you please arrange to:-

~ Contact BT Wholesale so that they may correctly update the information on the BT Wholesale database.

~ Once this has been completed, would you then arrange to submit a regrade request through the ECO system.

Alternatively, you could arrange for my account to be upgraded to dslMAX immediately as my line statistics show that I should be able to handle the higher speeds of MAX without any problems.

If you do upgrade me to MAXdsl I wish this to be done without me having to enter into a new 12 month contract.

A modify order to maxDSL submitted via the ECO system under these circumstances does not attract any BTw fees to the ISP, and since I do not want, nor do I require any additional hardware for max, then this should be done without any penalty to myself.

I look forward to your reply, and eagerly await the higher speeds which my line is capable of achieving.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

madcolster

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 10:53:42 PM »

Thanks! You seem to be exceptionally knowledgeble about this stort of stuff! :)

BTW, any particular email address (or snail mail) to get this done?

Kind regards,

Madcolster

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 11:01:29 PM »

try email

and good luck :)

please let us know how you got on..  one lady is still struggling with BT but one guy who used that got upgraded last week.
-----

madcolster

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:18:26 PM »

Will do indeed. Thanks again!

madcolster

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 09:59:49 PM »

Hokay... I have confirmation that my line is capped at 1 meg so I've used that helpful email to request a faster speed. Fingers crossed!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 10:03:55 PM »

fingers crossed for you.

Hopefully it will get to somene who knows how adsl works.
-----

madcolster

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 10:39:52 PM »

Actually, you mentioned that somebody got through to a person with a "brane" who did the upgrade - - don't happen to have a name do you? That would be very handy, as I expect my offshore contact will come back with some sort of "reason" why my line can't get upgraded.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 11:05:10 PM »

I dont Im afraid. :/

Sorry
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »

You seem to be exceptionally knowledgeble about this stort of stuff! :)

She is :)
Chris

madcolster

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 11:26:23 AM »

I'm going round and round (and round) in circles here.

I'm currently trying to get these guys to realise that telling me to go to bt.com and type my phone number to see what max speed I can get ISN'T going to be a good idea since the database is wrong.

I'm going to ring sales and see what they can do - and if they try and put me through to zombies offshore then I'm going to go madder than a bunch of feral cats in a bag!

madcolster

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 11:56:53 AM »

Right, after going through 3 people, I've got some action going. Hopefully this is real action....

Somebody from BT Wholesale is going to contact me about my line speed. I got the CSR to include the d/s attenuation of 18 and SNR Margin of 30.5 in the report to them, so hopefully something positive will happen.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 07:04:16 PM »

Woo, sounds a bit more positive. Best of luck with that, please let us know how you get on :)
Chris

madcolster

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 04:47:08 PM »

Got a call today at 8:23am from the support centre in India (this wasn't related to yesterday's call to BT). Unfortunately, I couldn't make out what the gentleman was saying. Something about toasters or something and that I should call him back.

Don't you love customer support on the cheap?
Pages: [1] 2