Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Idiot proof VDSL2 modem router combo unit  (Read 1994 times)

Mull

• Just arrived
Idiot proof VDSL2 modem router combo unit
« on: March 27, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »

Honestly not for me, but for my brother who lives a fair way away from me and I field enough IT calls with family so this has to be idiot proof...

The best combo VDSL2 unit to replace his home hub?

So far I suggested he look at either the DSL-AC88U or TP-Link AC2800 as it has to be idiot proof & very strong Wifi signal around his home (there are many WiFi device gamers in his house). I did try to convince him to get a great WiFi router and use a separate unit for modem but for his many excuses I think he really just wants an all in one he can plug in and update via a web console every now and then; Ergo, idiot proof.

Many thanks for any suggestions, my searching around the web gives me quite old information on a lot of routers so wondered really what you suggest to family members.

Mull

P.S. Thanks for all who post here, I have lurked for god knows how long but finally felt I should register on this insecure platform (honestly was the only thing keeping me from doing it...) to give advice to one other and ask one for myself. Cheers all, you helped even if you didn't know it.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Idiot proof VDSL2 modem router combo unit
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 04:51:03 PM »

Well I'm not sure any are really idiot proof, they all have quirks in their setup. So far my Netgear D6220 has been quite good but its setup is certainly not idiot proof. I have used ZyXEL VMG8324/8924/3925 routers but their again not really idiot proof. The 8324 is only 2.4ghz wifi. My Netgear has been the best for wi-fi but you mileage may vary, it will all depend on the structure of your brothers house. Modern partition walls as long as they are not foil lined are good for wifi but solid concrete or brick as often found in older houses are not so good. Also can depend on where the master socket is and whether you can place the router in an optimal position for wifi transmission.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Mull

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 04:55:54 PM »

Well I'm not sure any are really idiot proof, they all have quirks in their setup. So far my Netgear D6220 has been quite good but its setup is certainly not idiot proof. I have used ZyXEL VMG8324/8924/3925 routers but their again not really idiot proof. The 8324 is only 2.4ghz wifi. My Netgear has been the best for wi-fi but you mileage may vary, it will all depend on the structure of your brothers house. Modern partition walls as long as they are not foil lined are good for wifi but solid concrete or brick as often found in older houses are not so good. Also can depend on where the master socket is and whether you can place the router in an optimal position for wifi transmission.

Stuart

His master socket is right by his front door which is part of his wanting to keep it one box, anything close to idiot proof is close enough though. Will suggest he looks at the Netgear although from my old experiences I avoid Netgear with a wide berth hence didn't even give those the time of day. Cheers for the tip, will pass it on.

Mull

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 05:10:11 PM »

I'm not sure that any non-ISP router can be classed as idiot-proof as they all require a degree of manual setup.
Like @broadstairs I'm currently using a Netgear D6220 and the setup wizard on that was easy enough to use and got all of the basics working pretty fast.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 07:06:02 PM »

You mention Home Hub in your original post. Does this mean that your brother is on BT?

If so, it's just that the Home Hub 6 is pretty idiot proof... and it's quite decent for an ISP provided model.