Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32

Author Topic: BCM63168 Modems that Support Baby Jumbo Frames (Bridge Mode)  (Read 117026 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: BCM63168 Modems that Support Baby Jumbo Frames (Bridge Mode)
« Reply #375 on: October 23, 2019, 10:56:15 AM »

It has the least attention from me because its inferior to 1312s & 8x24s. It is missing the input filter that makes these modems the best syncing, I bought one to test and found these results.

The new GUI is really quite a step up from the old, it works well on smaller screens and mobile where the old one was broken.

Regarding v13 and v5.13, you are looking at the wrong part of the version number. V5.13(AAVF.12) vs V5.13(AAVF.13).

I dont know how good those filters are as the 3925 on my line has the lowest ES rate and syncs as high as the older zyxel devices.  I do own a 8924 but chose to use the 3925 over it for the better sync performance.  Also the 8924 is ugly by design, the 3925 is a much more smaller unit and similar design to the 8800nl which I like :)

Please support this device thank you.

The mobile ui is the exact reason I think its a regression as usually mobile ui's on desktop screens pretty much suck.  Wish developers learnt how to detect via agent type again and maintain two ui's instead of pushing mobile ui's to desktops.  But aside from the design the new ui does have some bugs not in the old ui.

Since you have all the build tools setup isnt it just the case of compiling one extra image for each release or is there complications I dont know off?

I am guessing I am the only one that see's ES rate as a performance metric and can look past the headline sync speed? although the 3925 doesnt really sync any lower than the 8924 on my line.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 11:02:06 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #376 on: October 24, 2019, 10:17:59 AM »

It has the least attention from me because its inferior to 1312s & 8x24s. It is missing the input filter that makes these modems the best syncing, I bought one to test and found these results.

The new GUI is really quite a step up from the old, it works well on smaller screens and mobile where the old one was broken.

Regarding v13 and v5.13, you are looking at the wrong part of the version number. V5.13(AAVF.12) vs V5.13(AAVF.13).

I ordered one now, giving this famed filter a 3rd chance to improve my line :)  My view on filters has always been they can help, they can make things worse, they may make no difference.  The 3925 has a discrete dedicated switch chip, and gigabit ports, plus a dedicated wan port, so is superior spec wise to a 1312.  The only downside is the lack of this filter.  I will report back on here of course on how well the 1312 works.

https://support.aa.net.uk/VMG1312_Vs_VMG3925

I am guessing the 3925 devices have firmware differences tho that make custom builds a bit more of a challenge than the other two models? As I know the shell functions a bit different from discussions in the modem unlocking section.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #377 on: October 24, 2019, 03:48:35 PM »

https://support.aa.net.uk/VMG1312_Vs_VMG3925

Just a quick note to point out that the above quoted A&A wiki page is comparing the inferior ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D (and not the superior ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A) with the ZyXEL VMG3925-B10B.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #378 on: October 24, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »

The 3925 has a discrete dedicated switch chip, and gigabit ports, plus a dedicated wan port, so is superior spec wise to a 1312.  The only downside is the lack of this filter.  I will report back on here of course on how well the 1312 works.

I only ever recommend the VMG1312-B10A as a bridge modem.
It has a few flaws as a router.

As it's being used for UK FTTC with a max sync of 80/20 the lack of gigabit Ethernet ports makes no difference.

I'm yet to come across a modem that syncs higher, including 2 newer modems using the newer BCM63138.

The 8924 comes a close second.

I hope the 1312 has a positive effect on your line.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #379 on: October 24, 2019, 07:55:15 PM »

What j0hn said. AA support.aa.net.uk website has a page with bugs in the B10A . However if used in modem-only mode then these B10As work perfectly in my experience; I have four of them and I use IPv6; they have no clue about IPv6 the way I’m using them; everything carried is just a PPP frame of some sort or other.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 07:59:00 PM by Weaver »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #380 on: October 28, 2019, 04:18:49 PM »

I have had the 1312 boxed for a few days, but I suddenly gone back to the "not caring" mode.   I guess for a week or so I was but now I am not, I will probably end up trying it at some point, but the enthusiasm has gone for now.

----

got round to doing it, extra 200kbps sync speed, which is easily within the normal level of variance expected from sync to sync.  I will monitor ES to see if any differences on that.

The firmware is interesting tho, keeps the old zyxel UI. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:45:20 PM by Chrysalis »

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #381 on: December 22, 2019, 07:47:32 AM »

Old thread, but for comparison on my line modems with broadcom chipset sync higher than lantiq only on interleave, on fast patch latiq sync good 3Mb/s faster than broadcom(without tweaking snr of course) . I tested asus dsl-ac88u, VMG1312-B10A, and eci BTOR unlocked. Zyxel sync same if not even lower than asus, but best for higher sync is eci, and by dropping 0.5db on snr I got full sync speed.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #382 on: December 24, 2019, 09:59:10 AM »

Hi All,

Is there any benefit in terms of performance in getting a VMG3925-B10B over a VMG1312-B10A?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #383 on: December 24, 2019, 11:00:48 AM »

Hi All,

Is there any benefit in terms of performance in getting a VMG3925-B10B over a VMG1312-B10A?

The VMG3925-B10B synced lower than my 1312.
In bridge mode it would likely be no better.

If used as a modem/router then the better spec'd hardware on the 3925 will provide other benefits.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

xlr8r

« Reply #384 on: January 09, 2020, 02:42:05 PM »

ok, i have read that much on this topic i have brain-freeze lol.

what i would like to ask though is;

Given that my current setup is;

I have a John Lewis (partially unbranded) VMG8324-B10A with generic v.28 firmware installed and setup in bridge mode only.
I have a Asus Rog Rapture AX-GT11000 router attached. (BT Infinity 1492 MTU PPPoE connection)
I am connected to BT infinity 2 via a Huawei CABinet

I would like to try one of the .28 custom firmware's that i believe includes a better vdsl driver ?

If i upgrade to one of these ;

1. Will it allow supervisor password to be easily accessible from dumpmdm command ?

2. Since I'm already on the .28 generic zyxel version firmware, could I just simply upgrade to the .28 custom firmware without having to do any factory resets or anything and will current config settings remain intact ?

3. After changing firmware's (original .28 to custom .28) what settings would i need to change on the zyxel (if any) and what settings would i need to setup in Asus Rog rapture router , MTU and MRU values (currently at 1492 on both).

4. Which of the custom v28 firmware is my best option ? I still want to be able to telnet / putty and get stats from the modem using dsltstats utility.

5. will I see any noticeable difference by doing using one or any of the custom firmware's ?

These is my current stats from the VMG8324-B10A modem.

many thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 02:44:14 PM by xlr8r »

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #385 on: January 09, 2020, 03:34:46 PM »

1. Will it allow supervisor password to be easily accessible from dumpmdm command ?

You should be able to do that on your current (generic) firmware. Can you not?

2. Since I'm already on the .28 generic zyxel version firmware, could I just simply upgrade to the .28 custom firmware without having to do any factory resets or anything and will current config settings remain intact ?

I believe that should work. I've upgraded numerous times over the years (but always to a newer firmware) and have never lost any of my custom settings. I take a full backup of the config before I upgrade, just in case.

3. After changing firmware's (original .28 to custom .28) what settings would i need to change on the zyxel (if any) and what settings would i need to setup in Asus Rog rapture router , MTU and MRU values (currently at 1492 on both).

On the bridged modem, nothing. You will need to reconfigure your router to use 1500 MTU on the PPPoE connection. This is how I do it on my EdgeRouter:

Code: [Select]
ubnt@ubnt# show interfaces ethernet eth1
 address 192.168.2.1/24
 description "Internet (PPPoE)"
 duplex auto
 mtu 1508
 poe {
     output off
 }
 pppoe 0 {
     default-route auto
     dhcpv6-pd {
         pd 0 {
             interface switch0 {
                 host-address ::1
                 prefix-id :1
                 service slaac
             }
             prefix-length /48
         }
         rapid-commit enable
     }
     firewall {
         in {
             ipv6-name WAN6_IN
             name WAN_IN
         }
         local {
             ipv6-name WAN6_LOCAL
             name WAN_LOCAL
         }
     }
     ipv6 {
         address {
             autoconf
         }
         dup-addr-detect-transmits 1
         enable {
         }
     }
     mtu 1500
     name-server auto
     password xxxx
     user-id xxxx
 }
 speed auto

As you can see, the interface MTU is set to 1508 and PPPoE MTU is set to 1500. I'm not familiar with your Asus unfortunately :no:

4. Which of the custom v28 firmware is my best option ? I still want to be able to telnet / putty and get stats from the modem using dsltstats utility.

I compiled one which only has the jumbo frames patch. If you want more functionality, check out one of johnson's more exotic variants ;D

Mine: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21273.msg403176.html#msg403176
johnson's: https://github.com/johnson442/custom-zyxel-firmware/releases

5. will I see any noticeable difference by doing using one or any of the custom firmware's ?

Depends on what you are after. My requirement was to only have RFC4638 support, that's it. But various others required more features, hence all the additional patches.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #386 on: January 09, 2020, 11:24:34 PM »

I use the Johnson ‘all the toppings’ build, with fancy added features such as easy-stats protocol (get stats via http, without login) and SNRM vs time graphing stats from a second separate small http server, as well as the basics : MTU 1508 and multiple telnet sessions support. It works beautifully, totally reliable.

xlr8r

« Reply #387 on: January 10, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »

thanks for all the info everyone, ill give it a blast over the weekend and see how it goes.

cheers  ;D

xlr8r

« Reply #388 on: January 10, 2020, 11:43:31 AM »

I use the Johnson ‘all the toppings’ build, with fancy added features such as easy-stats protocol (get stats via http, without login) and SNRM vs time graphing stats from a second separate small http server, as well as the basics : MTU 1508 and multiple telnet sessions support. It works beautifully, totally reliable.

how do u access the stats from the "separate small http server" ? Do u just log into the router as normal and theres a new page , or is there another http url to use ? thanks

xlr8r

« Reply #389 on: January 10, 2020, 01:25:34 PM »

You should be able to do that on your current (generic) firmware. Can you not?

I believe that should work. I've upgraded numerous times over the years (but always to a newer firmware) and have never lost any of my custom settings. I take a full backup of the config before I upgrade, just in case.

On the bridged modem, nothing. You will need to reconfigure your router to use 1500 MTU on the PPPoE connection. This is how I do it on my EdgeRouter:

Code: [Select]
ubnt@ubnt# show interfaces ethernet eth1
 address 192.168.2.1/24
 description "Internet (PPPoE)"
 duplex auto
 mtu 1508
 poe {
     output off
 }
 pppoe 0 {
     default-route auto
     dhcpv6-pd {
         pd 0 {
             interface switch0 {
                 host-address ::1
                 prefix-id :1
                 service slaac
             }
             prefix-length /48
         }
         rapid-commit enable
     }
     firewall {
         in {
             ipv6-name WAN6_IN
             name WAN_IN
         }
         local {
             ipv6-name WAN6_LOCAL
             name WAN_LOCAL
         }
     }
     ipv6 {
         address {
             autoconf
         }
         dup-addr-detect-transmits 1
         enable {
         }
     }
     mtu 1500
     name-server auto
     password xxxx
     user-id xxxx
 }
 speed auto

As you can see, the interface MTU is set to 1508 and PPPoE MTU is set to 1500. I'm not familiar with your Asus unfortunately :no:

I compiled one which only has the jumbo frames patch. If you want more functionality, check out one of johnson's more exotic variants ;D

Mine: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21273.msg403176.html#msg403176
johnson's: https://github.com/johnson442/custom-zyxel-firmware/releases

Depends on what you are after. My requirement was to only have RFC4638 support, that's it. But various others required more features, hence all the additional patches.

on my router i have these options that i can edit MTU and MRU, do i set these to 1500 or 1508 ?

do i need to do anything else on my LAN network for these baby jumbo frames to work correctly?

thanks

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32

anything