Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

Author Topic: BCM63168 Modems that Support Baby Jumbo Frames (Bridge Mode)  (Read 117055 times)

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: BCM63168 Modems that Support Baby Jumbo Frames (Bridge Mode)
« Reply #270 on: February 15, 2019, 06:09:45 PM »

I guess I can only suggest you revert to a previous firmware.

I am running the posted one currently on an 8324 and have full telnet access and 1472 pings working from linux and windows PCs.

The only change from stock are the jumbo frames patches which numerous people have used and the inclusion of that script.

The script does nothing to interfere with telnet. You have mentioned in PMs questions about setting your NIC to jumbo frames "2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or 9 KB MTU..?" Also you are changing windows MTU value manually? Modern OSs do not require intervention for such values, you are more likely to set something wrong than improve things changing them.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #271 on: February 15, 2019, 06:33:45 PM »

@ johnson

Am I right in thinking that the most up-to-date dsl driver is included in that firmware you've provided for the BJFs? And is it the general opinion of other knowledgeable people that it is the most stable driver available, more so than the d24j version, for example?

The reason I ask is that having started (once-upon-a-time) with a Huawei HG612 and then cycled through a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A, a Billion BiPAC 8800NL (v1) and a ZyXEL VMG3925-B10B, I've gone back to the HG612 as the other modem/routers haven't appeared to play well with my line and the HG612 appears to be quite settled with regard to downstream ES and hasn't yet thrown a fit.

See, I've been wondering if someone with The Knowledge would be able to take Asbokid's firmware for the HG612 and swap out the dsl driver within that firmware for the latest dsl driver contained within Johnson's BJF firmware for the ZyXELs. If you all get my drift of course. Has that been thought of before or would no one be that bothered since the consenus appears to be that the HG612 is inferior to the ZyXEls?

(Of course, it could be that the latest dsl driver in the ZyXELs is the source of my problems and the d24j is much better suited to my line.  ;)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #272 on: February 15, 2019, 07:12:52 PM »

The driver version makes absolutely zero difference.

The only noticeable change anyone noted trying it was Johnson fixing a vectoring issue on his own line.

The HG612 dsl driver is for a different chipset so won't work on these devices.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #273 on: February 15, 2019, 08:27:28 PM »

Ah, right, a non-starter then...  :)

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #274 on: February 15, 2019, 08:41:36 PM »

Ah, right, a non-starter then...  :)

Indeed, as j0hn says the newer adsl_phy (half the modem code) had not been shown to produce any improvement except in my weird edge case, and the HG612s driver is very much incompatible with these chipsets.

If you have tried a 3925 that has the very latest adsl_phy and accompanying kernel module I have seen in the wild for a BCM63168 device.

If the HG612 is producing the most stable line for you there is no reason to stop using it.  :)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2019, 12:31:40 AM »

i got telnet working, sodding firewall decided to block that port >:(

I still get the same results so have reverted firmware

Johnso, what was your windows MTU setting?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2019, 01:18:53 AM »

I would hazard a guess from his comment that he hasn't changed anything and he's using the default settings.
As am i and it works perfectly.

If you can revert any changes you have made or reset the settings to default if possible.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2019, 05:39:55 PM »

I would hazard a guess from his comment that he hasn't changed anything and he's using the default settings.
As am i and it works perfectly.

If you can revert any changes you have made or reset the settings to default if possible.

Initially I didn't make any changes.. my windows MTU was 1492 (to match the setting in the router) so when I changed FW I changed the windows MTU back to 1500 and those are the results I got... doesn't work for me? unless MTU in windows is set at 1492 and when I do that the 1472 tests fail which tell me its not functioning as it should

this FW is specific to 8x24, Im guessing the FW you will be using is the one for bridged setups

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2019, 05:53:02 PM »

Initially I didn't make any changes..

so when I changed FW I changed the windows MTU back to 1500

Very confused :-\

If you didn't make any changes what did you change back?

You don't ever need to touch any MTU settings in Windows.
Setting it on the router is enough.

I'm really not familiar with tweaking MTU settings on Windows so I'm not entirely sure what has been changed and what needs restored.

I would start off by going to Settings > Network & Internet > Network Reset.

this FW is specific to 8x24, Im guessing the FW you will be using is the one for bridged setups

You still shouldn't be touching the Windows MTU settings, bridged or not.

I've just downloaded the firmware above and will load it on to my 8924 in a couple hours and try it on my line in modem/router mode.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2019, 06:47:00 PM »

ok I will try and explain better,

so when i first got the 8924 a few months ago and found its forcing an MTU of 1492 I changed the windows MTU setting to match that... it worked with 1500 or 1492 in windows, I left it at 1492 as it matches the router MTU and therefore packet fragmentation (more overhead) would not occur. When using Johnsons 8x24 1500MTU firmware, it works fine with a windows MTU of 1492 but not with 1500 on my setup.

I have read that (dependant on NIC and router specs and configs) the MTU value for the transport of data (between PC and Router) is determined by the lowest value of the two, this sounds to me, if for e.g. the NIC is set at 1492 and the router at 1500 then the router and windows should decide on using 1492, the problem is some NIC's and routers don't follow standards fully, so it is possible to end up with strange results dependent on hardware and configuration...thats what I read anyway.

will you be running your test from window 10..? I use W10x64Pro and an Atheros Ar8151 NIC (driver 2.1.0.27 - 18/9/17)

Im going to be making the move to Linux soon (dual-boot)..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:49:50 PM by snadge »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #280 on: February 17, 2019, 08:10:50 AM »

So I tried again this morning with a full from cold reboot of the 8324 still running the router-1500 firmware.

Once you wait the correct amount of time (worst case 60s) from the ppp session coming up 1472 pings work perfectly from windows PCs a linux system and even my android phone.

One new piece of information I found is that if you abruptly close a putty session from a windows machine no efforts are made to log out, the session remains and so no further connections via telnet can be made until that one times out - 5 minutes or so.

Indeed I have not changed the MTU on any of these computers, having a fixed MTU is not desirable. Path MTU discovery works so that your modem/router having a lower that ideal one will be discovered and accounted for, also in the opposite direction, large LAN to LAN transfers between PCs with supporting NICs will go up to the full 9000 byte jumbo frame MTU. There really is no reason to mess with it and I cant help but feel your changes to it may be the cause of your issues.

Do have any other systems to test from?

An android device with a terminal emulator can perform:
Code: [Select]
ping -M do -s 1472 cloudflare.com
For instance.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #281 on: February 17, 2019, 07:03:20 PM »

yeah I will try again in a few days (DLM)... all I changed was the MTU to match the router, I have always practiced this, as soon as I got the 8924 I set windows MTU to 1492, I will try my mobile (Android) in a few days.

my NIC supports something called JUMBO FRAMES and its currently disabled, the options are 'DISABLED' or 'xKB MTU' (where 'x' = a value of 2-9) - is it worth using this feature? if so, which MTU KB value?

also you mention 'MTU Path Discovery' - is this a feature that my NIC & router can use to set the LAN MTU? or is it a feature the router & dslam uses to set the WAN MTU..?

thanks

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #282 on: February 17, 2019, 08:00:32 PM »

I have always practiced this

Time to stop  :-[   ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2019, 01:16:50 AM »

... all I changed was the MTU to match the router, I have always practiced this, as soon as I got the 8924 I set windows MTU to 1492, . . .

Isn't there an "auto" setting for the MTU within BGW?

If you were using a Unix or Linux kernel based system, there would be no need to change the MTU of the system's interface from "auto".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bkehoe

« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2019, 10:40:21 AM »

I gave this firmware a test and larger pings do work but something is amiss with certain websites. Cloud based websites using Amazon for hosting don't appear to work as an example and certain other sites are very slow to load. Verified on both Mac and iPhone and totally rebooted both devices just in case.

I noted that the Speedguide.net TCP analyser correctly identified that 1500 MTU was possible. However http://www.letmecheck.it/mtu-test.php still showed a max MTU of 1492.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

anything