Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: BCM63168 Modems that Support Baby Jumbo Frames (Bridge Mode)  (Read 117118 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: BCM63168 Modems that Support Baby Jumbo Frames (Bridge Mode)
« Reply #315 on: March 29, 2019, 09:35:42 PM »

Hmmm, I'm confused now.  I looked at the changes to the stock Zyxel distribution on Github and I can't see (anymore?) the change which syncs the passwords.  I will ask my brother (who put it up on Github).

Any news on this?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #316 on: April 23, 2019, 05:58:41 PM »

Can anyone help with the newest jumbo frame firmware for the VMG1312-B10A? Thanks.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #317 on: April 24, 2019, 02:56:15 AM »

@gigabitethernet - I can get a copy to you. Direct from our Johnson, the author, would be from the horse’s mouth. Or I could dig backwards through this thread and find the link.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #318 on: April 24, 2019, 03:28:41 AM »

This post at an earlier point in the thread contains the download link. That is the version I am using on all my (many) modems. Rock solid, ignore the reports in posts immediately following as I just made stupid mistakes and failed to install it. It is just superb.

That version has
  • the MTU 1500+8=1508 feature,
  • allows multiple telnet sessions iirc - please check
  • has the ‘easy stats’ SNRM graphing feature using a web server in the modem,
  • the ‘easy stats’ stats querying protocol where you can read pages of stats over http without login
A new version is under development.

I use all of the features of it all the time as I don’t currently have a suitable machine that can display stats via a telnet-based protocol because of limitations in the tools I use. I am iPad-only these days and I have not learned Python yet, which is probably the way to go for easy casual app development on iPad.

Another opportunity to thank our kitizen and friend Johnson for his outstanding (and continuing) work on this.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:58:41 AM by Weaver »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #319 on: April 24, 2019, 07:12:56 AM »

Can anyone help with the newest jumbo frame firmware for the VMG1312-B10A? Thanks.

If you mean based on the v17 sources then zyxel have not released them yet. Me and j0hn got responses stating June as time it will be released  ???.

From trying the v17 and poking around with it the changes are so minimal as to be completely unimportant, particularly if using as a modem not a router (from memory the only significant change was something to do with UPnP).

If you are after the v16 version with just the jumboframes patches I'l point you to this post:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21545.msg381478.html#msg381478

Specifically from the dropbox folder: 1312-B10A-AAJZ16-jumboframes.bin

Hope this helps!

@Weaver

Thanks for the kind words! As you know I should be able to offer a much nicer version than just the SNRM graphing in the linked firmware soon, so I wouldn't recommend anyone using that one unless they are specifically after HTTP based stats retrieval.

I have the orientation and point tapping working btw, I'l PM about testing.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #320 on: April 24, 2019, 06:39:21 PM »

If you mean based on the v17 sources then zyxel have not released them yet. Me and j0hn got responses stating June as time it will be released  ???.

From trying the v17 and poking around with it the changes are so minimal as to be completely unimportant, particularly if using as a modem not a router (from memory the only significant change was something to do with UPnP).

If you are after the v16 version with just the jumboframes patches I'l point you to this post:

Specifically from the dropbox folder: 1312-B10A-AAJZ16-jumboframes.bin

Hope this helps!

@Weaver

Thanks for the kind words! As you know I should be able to offer a much nicer version than just the SNRM graphing in the linked firmware soon, so I wouldn't recommend anyone using that one unless they are specifically after HTTP based stats retrieval.

I have the orientation and point tapping working btw, I'l PM about testing.

Thanks, I am in a BDUK area with vectoring - can you recommend the best firmware for me?

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #321 on: April 24, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »

Thanks, I am in a BDUK area with vectoring - can you recommend the best firmware for me?

Funny you should ask that, as I have recently been testing the latest adsl_phy.bin from the VMG3925, version A2pv6F039x6 vs A2pv6F039v.

For me the difference has been night and day. I have vectoring (BDUK) and the second Huawei cab connected to my PCP (serves over 600) went live around a month ago. This coupled with the seasonal change has resulted in hundreds of downstream CRCs a day and several full drops of connection a week.

Since trying the x6 modem code I have had 1 drop in 8 days and 10s of CRCs total. Also I have had upstream G.INP enabled, but I'm sure this is just coincidence as have had it briefly before.

Have not made a public VMG1312-B10A firmware with the x6 code, is there anything specific you would like if you want to try it? Or just the base jumbo frames patches and the new modem binary?

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #322 on: April 24, 2019, 07:28:44 PM »

Heres a v16 firmware with only the jumbo frames patches and newer A2pv6F039x6 adsl_phy. These are the only changes.

Direct link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/631264ulfa7pm8h/1312-B10A-AAJZ16-jumboframes-x6.bin?dl=0

Is also available in the main dropbox folder from the previously linked post.

Have flashed to my testing VMG1312, but not put on a line. Your own risk etc etc.  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: BCM63168 Modems that Support Baby Jumbo Frames (Bridge Mode
« Reply #323 on: April 24, 2019, 07:52:13 PM »

@gigabitethernet - referring to the earlier post
see the reference to bin files named ‑x1 which have the later improved low-level DSL driver code in them. The files with that ‑x1 in them are the ones for you.

* Specifically, go for : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c5no9h8ckyp2i4i/AAD26V-J9eU498dDq8a4U0Kia/1312-B10A-AAJZ16-jumboframes-oldtelnet-customcmds-x1.bin

(which is kept in this folder.)

[ I’m assuming that that one does not have the lovely internal SNRM graphing web server and ‘easy stats’ over http features too, is that correct? If you would also like this superb but non-essential feature, which I use, then you would need to ask very nicely for a ‑x1 build of it, with all the trimmings.

I use the later version mentioned at
    https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21685.msg384925.html#msg384925
which has the SNRM-graphing internal web server feature, which is superb, but there is no file there containing the build ‑x1 variant, which would be the right one for you. ]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:02:11 PM by Weaver »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #324 on: April 24, 2019, 10:38:37 PM »

Funny you should ask that, as I have recently been testing the latest adsl_phy.bin from the VMG3925, version A2pv6F039x6 vs A2pv6F039v.

For me the difference has been night and day. I have vectoring (BDUK) and the second Huawei cab connected to my PCP (serves over 600) went live around a month ago. This coupled with the seasonal change has resulted in hundreds of downstream CRCs a day and several full drops of connection a week.

Since trying the x6 modem code I have had 1 drop in 8 days and 10s of CRCs total. Also I have had upstream G.INP enabled, but I'm sure this is just coincidence as have had it briefly before.

Have not made a public VMG1312-B10A firmware with the x6 code, is there anything specific you would like if you want to try it? Or just the base jumbo frames patches and the new modem binary?

You're extremely kind doing all of this so first of all many thanks and thanks to Weaver as well.

I don't wish to make life too difficult for you so I would be perfectly content with the jumbo frames and newer modem binary.

The SNRM graphing stuff sounds interesting as well but I will completely understand not including this - I don't wish to give you any more work than is needed, you have already been so helpful.

I feel like something of a specialty, I don't know many who have vectoring on this forum. I remember when it appeared out of nowhere several years ago now. I did not have it initially (I was the first line to go live on my cabinet back in 2015 I think it was - I think I got vectoring sometime in 2016 although I might be wrong).

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #325 on: April 24, 2019, 10:52:34 PM »

@gigabitethernet - Sorry about that posts crossed over somehow. What a twit.  ??? :-[

@johnson - sorry for being a bit slow. Is it true that the only advantages of the newer x6 low level dsl driver code are for VDSL2 users who also have g.vector?

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #326 on: April 24, 2019, 10:58:33 PM »

I feel like something of a specialty, I don't know many who have vectoring on this forum. I remember when it appeared out of nowhere several years ago now. I did not have it initially (I was the first line to go live on my cabinet back in 2015 I think it was - I think I got vectoring sometime in 2016 although I might be wrong).

Indeed, from my recollection there has only been a handful of people with vectoring talk here. Maybe its testament to its efficacy that people with it have less problems and so seek help less on forums like this.

Would be neat if you could test the x6 firmware linked and report back, from experience vectoring produces unpredictable results. Last person I spoke to here with it ended up using a firmware from years ago just to get a normal sync speed.  ???

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #327 on: April 24, 2019, 11:02:50 PM »

@johnson - sorry for being a bit slow. Is it true that the only advantages of the newer x6 low level dsl driver code are for VDSL2 users who also have g.vector?

As far as I know yes. The last document (from cisco I believe) I found that detailed the changes between versions had very little to say about ADSL, but it may have been tunnel vision on my part.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2019, 11:52:20 PM »

Any idea how hard it would be to patch in the SNRM graphing into the VMG3925-B10B firmware?

I really didn't want to have to compile it myself, but I'd also like to re-enable the administrator passwork sync functionality so it may come to that if the original person who compiled it is too busy.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #329 on: April 25, 2019, 07:37:05 PM »

Bit of a weird one this - haven't tried johnson's new firmware yet - but after switching from a Huawei HG612 to the Zyxel VMG1312-B10A, the Internet feels less responsive, like websites take a bit longer to load and sometimes websites freeze a bit (e.g. YouTube).

I am using a TP-LINK Archer C7 running OpenWrt and I haven't changed its setup at all. It worked fine with the HG612.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32