Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Should I get a pre filtered face plate?  (Read 14369 times)

V_R

• Reg Member
Should I get a pre filtered face plate?
« on: March 21, 2018, 10:46:40 PM »

So I'm moving to a new build property soon and this is the master socket in the living room, I'm just wondering if its worth getting a pre-filtered face if I can?

Even if its for no other reason than to not have a filter hanging out of it and making it look nicer.

If so, any recommendations?

Thanks!

Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Should I get a pre filtered face plate?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:55:51 PM »

Definitely definitely get a pre-filtered facplate, sometimes called an SSFP (service-specific faceplate) with two sockets in the front of it, one for DSL modem and one for a phone.

The thing will be neater, more robust and faster as they are better performers for various reasons. Dangly ‘microfilters’ are not the answer.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 11:42:50 PM »

I shall second Weaver's advice and add that you should source a Mk 3 SSFP.

Here is an example of what you will require.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:39:42 AM »

I hope and pray that your building contractor has wired the premises correctly, ie: a wire from the outside grey box/capping where the BT underground feed is .... direct to that master socket ........ and any other extensions wired onwards from that master socket ??.

Alas, I've visited more than a few new build estates whereby they have run the wire from the grey box/capping, to a central point in the house underneath the floor boards (or sheet boards as they are these days), and then 'teed out' all the sockets from this totally inaccessible point.

The only way around this, if indeed this is the case, is to re-run a new wire. Who needs that though,  when all wiring is currently buried and out of sight !!

Fingers crossed for you.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 05:51:56 PM »

I hope and pray that your building contractor has wired the premises correctly, ie: a wire from the outside grey box/capping where the BT underground feed is .... direct to that master socket ........ and any other extensions wired onwards from that master socket ??.

There really shouldn't be any excuse for any developer in creating a pig's ear out of it all.  :(  As far as I know, the Builders Guide (or other documentation) is still available . . . spelling things out in easy to understand pictures.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 10:06:22 PM »

There really shouldn't be any excuse for any developer in creating a pig's ear out of it all.  :(  As far as I know, the Builders Guide (or other documentation) is still available . . . spelling things out in easy to understand pictures.

LOL! What is written and what the do to save money are two totally different practices!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 12:38:03 AM »

LOL! What is written and what the do to save money are two totally different practices!

I have lived in a new build house, on a large estate, built by one of Britain’s largest Building companies.  Nothing would surprise me about how many corners were cut, or rules broken.  The day we took posession a BT engineer was already there, trying to work out what on earth they had done to phone wiring.   Despite his frustration in trying to fix the unfixable he was unable to contain his laughter, when overhearing a different conversation between me and the builder’s plumbers, about central heating wiring that also did not work and could never have worked.  :)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 11:37:16 AM »

Don't talk to me about new build houses - we bough one in Durham many years ago and someone forgot to tell them you are supposed to put cement in the mortar!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:49:26 PM »

Cheers for the replies chaps.

I'm going back there this weekend to check on the progress of a few things so I'll see if I can get the face off the current socket and check the wiring.

I am a little concerned as its slightly sunken into the wall and I think that limits my options from what I've seen.

As for the wiring, I have no idea, but its all been done pretty well by the looks of it, got a panel on the wall for 2x Sat, Digital TV and DAB. Everything is very tidy. Might do some digging and see if I can check out the behind the scenes stuff if I can.

Sounds like you guys got some dodgy builders, no such thing here. :)
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 12:14:48 AM »

I am a little concerned as its slightly sunken into the wall and I think that limits my options from what I've seen.

Ah, so the image you provided in the opening post isn't from your new property? That shows exactly what I would expect to see with the NTE5/A fitted to a recessed backing box.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 12:17:33 AM »

Yeah its from the new place.

What I mean't was, I wasn't sure if that being the case might hinder the possibilities to change/upgrade the faceplate. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 12:19:03 AM »

Yeah its from the new place.

Then I see no problem to fitting a Mk 3 SSFP.  :)

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 12:20:02 AM »

Fair play, cheers, as I said in my edit above I was just a bit concerned it might make things more difficult....

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 12:24:14 AM »

No difficulty, whatsoever. Just remove the lower front faceplate, offer up and plug in the SSFP, then re-fit the lower front faceplate with the longer screws (which should come with the SSFP).

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 12:27:05 AM »

Cheers, shame I can't use the Mk4 or something newer but hey ho.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything