Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: US SNRM  (Read 1253 times)

GaryW

US SNRM
« on: March 21, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »

Hi all,

I'm a fair distance from an ECI cabinet, DS sync banded at 14999 and US is a little over 500 (yes, that's the correct number of zeroes!) and only US0 and DS1 are being used.  If I look at the SNRM on my line, although the DS changes a lot over the course of the day/night, the short-term fluctuations are very slight (typically +/- 0.1dB).  However, if I look at the US SNRM the behaviour is completely different - the average stays constant throughout the day/night but the short-term fluctuations are much greater (typically +/- 0.7dB).  One of the effects of this is that when I resync, the US sync speed can be anywhere between 495 and 535...and I'd like to nudge it up a bit as every little helps  :)

Is this level of US fluctuation normal (or even normal-for-ECI!)?  If not, any thoughts on what may be causing it and if there's anything I can do about it?  (Dslstats picture attached)
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: US SNRM
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »

I don't experience this amount of SNR fluctuation on my line (for the upstream). That's quite a lot of fluctuation on that graph. The only time I had some fluctuation was when I was using homeplugs temporarily and that affected my D3 band.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: US SNRM
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 10:17:57 PM »

My upstream often goes down by 2dB in the evening.   

My graphs are set to 2 hrly
 - First graph is this evening
 - Second graph is yesterday eve.

By around ~ 8am it will be back to circa 12dB, then it will start to drop again ~5:30pm to circa 10dB.
As its currently cycling around daylight times I just assume its atmospheric RFI as the timings dont appear to coincide with anything else that I'm aware of.     

The jitter isn't always there - from a few years of observation, that usually only kicks in if I've had a remote resync from the DSLAM.  I can sometime cure that by leaving the modem switched off for a period of time, but the upstream daily swing is there most days.

Some lines also get it on the downstream - a lot of lines get 1dB daily swing & anything up to 3dB is considered within normal range. 
It's why DSL has SNR Margins sufficient to cover daily swings.       
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything