Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PPPoE via wifi  (Read 4931 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
PPPoE via wifi
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:41:22 PM »

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone here knows or has had experience in authenticating PPPoE over a wifi connection/bridge to a DSL modem.

I say this because my networking equipment, e.g. the EdgeRouter Pro 8, is upstairs while the master socket and modem are in the dining room downstairs. Currently I'm using Devolo homeplugs but I'm not a fan of homeplugs as they are known to create interference for DSL signals (particularly VDSL2) so would like to stop using them. Short of drilling holes to extend the master socket wiring to upstairs, the only other idea I had was trying to do PPPoE over a 5GHz wifi bridge. Question is whether this is even possible as I'm thinking the PPPoE packets might not automatically be sent to downstairs via wifi.

Any ideas or comments please? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I could move all the networking equipment downstairs but I need to get another cabinet to do that since it's rack mounted stuff :P. The one I've got isn't easy to take apart and already houses my PC.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: PPPoE via wifi
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:47:28 PM »

Currently I'm using Devolo homeplugs . . .

:no:  :wall:  :rant:  :shoot:

Short of drilling holes to extend the master socket wiring to upstairs, . . .

Drill holes and install CAT6 structured Ethernet cable between the two locations.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »

:no:  :wall:  :rant:  :shoot:

Drill holes and install CAT6 structured Ethernet cable between the two locations.  :)

Don't really want to do that if I can help it as it's a rented house plus was recently replastered throughout :), that's why I want an alternative ideally. I can typically get around 300-400Mbps over 5GHz wifi which is ample enough for even two bonded VDSL2 connections. I just don't know if what I want is possible over wifi. I will however try it probably tomorrow unless I know before then that it's not possible for sure.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:07:20 PM »

It's theoretically possible but I've never tried it. I guess that will be your next experiment.  ;)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:51:14 AM »

It works :). I've got an N300 extender (Netgear) unused spare so I tried that first, now it works I'll buy a faster one which is 5 GHz and not just 2.4 GHz. Woohoo, now I can put away those pesky Devolo homeplugs :comp:.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 12:04:15 PM »

Just a thought...

Do you have sufficient bandwidth on your WiFi to support PPPoE to the modem as well as your WiFi LAN devices at the required speeds?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 12:10:44 PM »

Just a thought...

Do you have sufficient bandwidth on your WiFi to support PPPoE to the modem as well as your WiFi LAN devices at the required speeds?

Good question, all being well yes. Two VDSL2 connections hopefully will achieve a peak throughput of 130-140 megabits downstream or 30-35 megabits upstream. Wireless devices other than that are primarily two mobiles phones, two Google Home assistants and a laptop. My desktop PC is connected via LAN cable. Only time will tell I guess :P. If things do go end up going wrong then I'll resort to drilling holes and putting in a LAN cable from downstairs to upstairs, however this has been an interesting experiment so far haha.

Obviously at the moment with this crappy N300 I had spare, to make the wireless bridge, it's not particularly as fast as it can be. That should change later this afternoon once I have a much faster and newer wireless extender.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »

Woohoo, now I can put away those pesky Devolo homeplugs :comp:.

The sooner, the better!  ;)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »

The sooner, the better!  ;)

Haha yeah, unfortunately may have spoken too soon. While the connection is stable, it's not fast enough. I'm getting around 38 Megabits down and full upstream speed (as expected since that's slower than downstream) on a TP-Link AC750 extender. I've tried various things to increase the speed such as turning off the ability for it to broadcast a signal too, only connect via 5GHz, connect via my Amplifi HD mesh point which is right by it, change channel and finally reduce the wifi transmission power. All achieve similar results.

My final attempt is a NETGEAR EX7300 Nighthawk X4 AC2200, arriving by DPD later this morning. I'll post the results of that later today for anyone here who's curious. If my line was just 40/10 or even 40/20 (no such package however) then the TP-Link AC750 extender would've been fine. Ping is perfectly fine at around 9 to 10 milliseconds and rises a little when maxing out the downstream.

At least my DSL connection isn't seeing significant SNR fluctuations in the D3 band since using the wifi bridge however :).

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »

Final update to say that I've exhausted all ideas I had.

The NETGEAR didn't want to handle a PPPoE connection for some reason, so I tried turning a spare RT-AC68U into a media bridge which did allow a PPPoE connection but for some reason according to the EdgeRouter it could only transmit and not receive. It does sadly look like I'll need to start drilling into a few walls to install an ethernet cable.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 06:27:49 PM »

It does sadly look like I'll need to start drilling into a few walls to install an ethernet cable.

Done properly, with solid core structured cabling and sockets at each end mounted into shallow-depth backing boxes, I'm sure it won't look out of place.

Then, of course, there is your second line. Is that going to have its NTE5 located next to the existing socket? If yes, then you should run two lengths of the CAT6 cable between the two locations.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 07:09:16 PM »

Wherever you run an Ethernet cable I’d suggest you go the extra mile, and run several, for future proofing.   Doing so may avoid the need for extra switches later.   Cable is cheaper than switches, and less prone to failure.    And whilst the energy footprint of each switch is often exaggerated and actually pretty negligible, it’s more than nothing.

Echo previous suggestion for shallow boxes, but even a 4 way RJ45 box doesn’t look too out of place. ;)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »

Thanks for the replies all.

Then, of course, there is your second line. Is that going to have its NTE5 located next to the existing socket? If yes, then you should run two lengths of the CAT6 cable between the two locations.

The second master socket is already in place and next to the other master socket. Just no VDSL2 signal on the line of the second master socket, yet :). Just to clarify, in case there's some confusion, the plan kinda was to run CAT6 ethernet cable from the two master sockets downstairs as an extension cable to upstairs, then ultimately connect the two modems and phone upstairs where the other networking equipment also is. It made more sense to me to just have all the networking equipment and such in one room rather than split up in two different parts of the house. Does this makes sense/seem sensible? I've got a fairly large roll of CAT6 cable waiting to be used :P.

Wherever you run an Ethernet cable I’d suggest you go the extra mile, and run several, for future proofing.   Doing so may avoid the need for extra switches later.   Cable is cheaper than switches, and less prone to failure.    And whilst the energy footprint of each switch is often exaggerated and actually pretty negligible, it’s more than nothing.

Echo previous suggestion for shallow boxes, but even a 4 way RJ45 box doesn’t look too out of place. ;)

A good idea, but my plan was to use the CAT6 cable as a short extension cable to upstairs instead (not that cheap CW something or another cable normally used for extension wiring).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 10:38:52 PM »

Understood.  :)

However I am always of the mind that it is best to convert the (very weak) xDSL signal to a considerably stronger set of Ethernet frames as soon as practicable.

Diagrammatically, this --

NTE5 <---> Modem <---------- relatively long distance ----------> Other networking equipment
       ^                                 ^
      xDSL                        Ethernet frames
      signal

-- rather than --

NTE5 <---------- relatively long distance ---------->  Modem <---> Other networking equipment
                             ^                                 ^
                            xDSL                        Ethernet frames
                            signal

In the latter case, it would be preferable to glue a rectangle of plastic over the xDSL port on the front of the NTE5 face-plate. Why? If any attempt was made to use the port, the in situ wiring would be an excellent bridge tap.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 11:22:49 PM »

A good idea, but my plan was to use the CAT6 cable as a short extension cable to upstairs instead (not that cheap CW something or another cable normally used for extension wiring).

The point I was making was, that whilst above may have been your immediate requirement, there might evolve later some other requirement for fast data movement around your home, quite apart from (or in addition to) access to the Internet.

I had nothing specific in mind as I have no functioning crystal ball, merely a general suggestion that data cabling is future-proofing. :)
Pages: [1] 2

anything