Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT NTE5 Master Socket to NTE 5C /VDSL mk 4 socket and extension  (Read 4874 times)

mpstevens

• Just arrived

Hi Guys,

My BT NTE5 Master Socket is in the hallway and i was going to replace it with a BT77A junction box and then run CW1724 cable (blue/blue white) from the junction box to my new NTE 5C /VDSL mk 4 socket (A+B).
Then from the extension (2,3,5) port on NTE 5C i was going to run an extension to a BT 2/3 extension socket into another room.
However not wanting to break the law !! I will go down the route of adding a new VDSL/ADSL faceplate to the old BT NTE5.

My query at this point is if i buy a new VDSL/ADSL faceplate for the old BT NTE5 Master Socket i understand if correct i can use A+B on this to go to A+B on the new NTE 5C/VDSL mk 4 socket (for both main phone and broadband) but if i want to also take my extension (just for second phone) from the old BT NTE5 is this possible or would i need to take the extension off the new NTE5C/ VDSL mk 4 extension port?

If i can take the extension from the old BT NTE 5C socket with the added VDSL/ADSL faceplate please can anyone advise which terminals should i use for the Blue/Blue White & Orange to go to the extension socket as A&B will already be taken up?

I know you’re probably thinking just get wireless phones off the new NTE5C/VDSL MK4 but i do like the current phones i have.

Or possibly there is an altogether different solution?

Many Thanks for any help.

Mike

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: BT NTE5 Master Socket to NTE 5C /VDSL mk 4 socket and extension
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »

Most filtered faceplates have both "AB"(unfiltered) and "235" (filtered) connections on the back, so you will be able to take both from it.
Check before you buy as there are some around that only have the "235" connections.

However, doing it as you propose will leave you with two master sockets which is not ideal at all.
I would use a secondary socket on the end of the "AB" connections and add a decent dangly filter for broadband/phone.
This is still not perfect as you have two filters but I doubt it'll make a noticeable difference.

If you don't mind "breaking the law" a little then replace your current NTE5 with the new NTE5C that you have (seems a shame to waste it ::)) and then proceed as above.

The optimal solution would be moving the NTE5C to where you want it, but that "breaks the law" a bit more.
 :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 04:23:15 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

mpstevens

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 04:45:14 PM »

Most filtered faceplates have both "AB"(unfiltered) and "235" (filtered) connections on the back, so you will be able to take both from it.
Check before you buy as there are some around that only have the "235" connections.

However, doing it as you propose will leave you with two master sockets which is not ideal at all.
I would use a secondary socket on the end of the "AB" connections and add a decent dangly filter for broadband/phone.
This is still not perfect as you have two filters but I doubt it'll make a noticeable difference.

If you don't mind "breaking the law" a little then replace your current NTE5 with the new NTE5C that you have (seems a shame to waste it ::)) and then proceed as above.

The optimal solution would be moving the NTE5C to where you want it, but that "breaks the law" a bit more.

Thanks for your reply Tubaman.

My original plan was to do away with the old BT Master Socket as it is in the wrong place therefore i was going to put a junction box where the old BT master socket is and then run new cable (Blue/White & White/Blue) from the junction box to the new NTE 5C /VDSL mk 4 socket to terminals A+B.
Then the plan was to run an extension from this new socket (i.e terminals 2 =blue/white ,3 = orange/white) & 5 = white/blue) to a BT 2/3 extension socket into another room.

However as i don’t want to run the risk of the wrath from BT instead of using the junction box i am now thinking of using the old BT master socket as my junction instead.

My ultimate goal is to have my router and main phone connected to my new NTE 5C /VDSL mk 4 socket in a different place to where the existing old BT master socket lives and then an additional phone only in another room.
However where i want to put this additional phone is actually closer to the Old BT Master Socket so my question is can i connect to the pins 2,3 & 5 for my extension if i buy a new ADSL face plate for the Old BT Master Socket and still connect to A + B which will be going to my new NTE 5C /VDSL mk 4 socket?

Do i actually need to connect the Orange/White wire to terminal 3 of the new ADSL face plate for my extension to the additional phone? I assume i do as this is the bell wire.

Also do i actually need to buy a new ADSL face plate for my old BT socket or can i connect to the existing face plate terminals?

Sorry and thank you for your help.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 05:09:45 PM »

The ideal solution is to end up with one, and only one, filtered outlet which you connect your modem to, and run extensions from.
Your current master is in the wrong place, but by keeping your existing NTE5 and adding a NTE5C you will end up with two master sockets, and that should be avoided.
The only easy way to do what you want legally will involve two filters - one filtered faceplate on the NTE5 and another, likely of the dangly kind, where the modem is sited.

I would do it so:
1. Purchase a filtered faceplate for your NTE5, making sure it has both "AB" and "235"(might be "2345") connections on it.
2. Run a secondary socket from "AB" on the filtered faceplate to where you want your modem.
3. Run another secondary socket from "235" (yes, use "3") on the filtered faceplate to where you want your extension phone.
4. At the modem socket use a decent dangly filter (if BT supplied one with your modem it should be a decent one) to connect your modem and other extension phone.

All of the above wiring should be at least CW1308 (twisted pair) standard. The CW1724 you mentioned is fine.
Note that this does not use your NTE5C at all to avoid the double master situation.

Other members may suggest other routes to doing this.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 05:30:52 PM »

The filtered faceplate will have 3 sets of terminals, incoming A&B unfiltered data extension terminals and filtered ext terminals 2,3 &5. So run secondary socket from data extension terminals rtaher than A&B.

mpstevens

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 05:40:17 PM »

The ideal solution is to end up with one, and only one, filtered outlet which you connect your modem to, and run extensions from.
Your current master is in the wrong place, but by keeping your existing NTE5 and adding a NTE5C you will end up with two master sockets, and that should be avoided.
The only easy way to do what you want legally will involve two filters - one filtered faceplate on the NTE5 and another, likely of the dangly kind, where the modem is sited.

I would do it so:
1. Purchase a filtered faceplate for your NTE5, making sure it has both "AB" and "235"(might be "2345") connections on it.
2. Run a secondary socket from "AB" on the filtered faceplate to where you want your modem.
3. Run another secondary socket from "235" (yes, use "3") on the filtered faceplate to where you want your extension phone.
4. At the modem socket use a decent dangly filter (if BT supplied one with your modem it should be a decent one) to connect your modem and other extension phone.

All of the above wiring should be at least CW1308 (twisted pair) standard. The CW1724 you mentioned is fine.
Note that this does not use your NTE5C at all to avoid the double master situation.

Other members may suggest other routes to doing this.
Ah that makes sense then Tubaman.

So if I connect A+B from the filtered face plate on the NTE5 (Old BT Master Socket) would you recommend where the router/main phone is going to use a 2/3a Telephone Socket Extension + Dangly Filter or is there an alternative socket I should use?
If using a 2/3a Telephone Socket Extension then I assume A wire goes to 5 and B wire goes to 2 ?

And then for the second phone only I use wires 2,3 + 5 from the filtered face plate to the other 2/3a Telephone Socket Extension?

Will I need another dangly filter on the second phone extension socket?

Thank You

:thumbs up:

mpstevens

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 05:56:21 PM »

The filtered faceplate will have 3 sets of terminals, incoming A&B unfiltered data extension terminals and filtered ext terminals 2,3 &5. So run secondary socket from data extension terminals rtaher than A&B.
Hi Licquorice,
Do you mean where my router socket is to change it around and run from terminals 2 & 5 of the filtered faceplate instead of terminals A&B ?
In which case where my (phone only) extension is going to then run from A&B of the filtered faceplate to this second extension socket?

If so do both extension sockets still need a dangly filter?

Thanks
Mike

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 06:22:37 PM »

No, run as Tubaman has suggested but connect to data extension terminals in master socket rather than A&B terminals in para 2. The A&B terminals should be purely for the incoming feed. You will only need a dangly filter where you connect the router and phone. No filter needed at the extension socket connected to 2&5 in the master.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 06:24:55 PM »

"AB" on the filtered faceplate is an unfiltered connection so will need a filter at the far end if you plan to use a telephone as well as the modem.
"235" on the filtered faceplate is a filtered (telephone only) connection and will not need a filter at the far end.

I believe you can purchase filtered sockets as an alternative to a BT 2/3a + dangly filter, but I have not used these so will leave it to other more learned members to comment.

@licquorice - when I refered to "AB" I was meaning the connections on the filtered faceplate and not those on the incoming connection.
If they are marked "Data Extension" then that would be the same thing.

I have used one like this photo in the past.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 06:29:03 PM by tubaman »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 06:36:47 PM »

Ah, guess we are both saying the same thing just different terminology.  :)

mpstevens

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 07:49:56 PM »

Bloody great stuff both  :yay:

So I will do the following :

1, Get a new Filtered face plate for the existing NTE5. (as pic shown above)
2, Run CW1724 cable from new filtered face plate (A+B) TO (5+2) on extension socket with router and main phone (with Dangly filter).
3, Run CW1724 cable from new filtered face plate (2,3+5) TO (2,3+5) on extension socket with second phone -No Dangly filter required

Main phone + Router from filtered adsl face plate to extension socket 1 (main phone + router) with dangly filter.
A to 5 = WHITE/blue
B to 2 = BLUE/white

Second phone from filtered adsl face plate to extension socket 2 (phone only) no dangly filter.
2 to 2 = BLUE/white
3 to 3 = ORANGE/white
5 to 5 = WHITE/blue

Just as a matter of interest for future reference if I had decided to replace the Old BT socket (NTE5) with a junction box (BT77A) and then run CW1724 cable from terminals 5+2 on the junction Box to A+B on the new NTE 5C /VDSL mk 4 Socket this I understand would be ok?
But if I wanted to then run another extension (phone only) would I be able to run this directly from the junction box to another extension socket or would I have to run the (phone only) extension from ports 2,3+5 from the new NTE 5C /VDSL mk 4 Socket ?
If I could run the phone only from the junction box would it be ok to double up on terminals 5+2?

Cap my tip to you both  :oldman:

Mike

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 10:24:43 AM »

Just as a matter of interest for future reference if I had decided to replace the Old BT socket (NTE5) with a junction box (BT77A) and then run CW1724 cable from terminals 5+2 on the junction Box to A+B on the new NTE 5C /VDSL mk 4 Socket this I understand would be ok?
But if I wanted to then run another extension (phone only) would I be able to run this directly from the junction box to another extension socket or would I have to run the (phone only) extension from ports 2,3+5 from the new NTE 5C /VDSL mk 4 Socket ?
If I could run the phone only from the junction box would it be ok to double up on terminals 5+2?

Once you have a filtered NTE in place you need to run all your extensions from that, preferably in a daisy chain fashion if you can although it's not essential on the telephony side of the circuit.
If you ran an extension from your BT77A you would be creating a bridge tap - ie an unfiltered branch in the circuit.  This is undesirable as it can significantly effect the quality of the VDSL signal.

mpstevens

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 10:48:24 AM »

Once you have a filtered NTE in place you need to run all your extensions from that, preferably in a daisy chain fashion if you can although it's not essential on the telephony side of the circuit.
If you ran an extension from your BT77A you would be creating a bridge tap - ie an unfiltered branch in the circuit.  This is undesirable as it can significantly effect the quality of the VDSL signal.
Thanks Tubaman for your help ..I now understand  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 08:23:17 AM »

You aren't breaking any laws if you leave the back part of you NTE5 alone and just replace the removable front part. The wiring behind the test socket, on the back part of the NTE5, is BT’s the rest is yours.