Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Italk Branded Zyxel VMG3925-B10B  (Read 5824 times)

wattoo

• Just arrived
Italk Branded Zyxel VMG3925-B10B
« on: March 16, 2018, 02:27:47 PM »

Hi to you all
I've been looking through the forum for the past 24hrs trying to find some help to get into this router's admin page.
I bought a new VMG3925-B10B from ebay, and probably no surprise that there was an italk leaflet inside, and a sticker on the back with italk wifi login info.
However, this router appears to have a ROM D with italk's own setup on it. No problem to change I thought, however I cannot login using admin, 1234 as I would expect. Even after trying reset it reatins its italk wifi settings, so I know it's not going back to the zyxel default settings.
Before sending back & getting a refund, does anyone out there have italk's default username/password for this type of router? It might just save me a lost few days with the setup I'm trying to get sorted.
I have used puTTy, and tried telnet access which just gets me as far as username & password prompts. I have tried a few configurations but nothing obvious has worked. I have read probably all the other threads re. the supervisor password, however without even admin access it's only going to work using hashcat I'm guessing....
Thanks for any ideas  :fingers:

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Italk Branded Zyxel VMG3925-B10B
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »

If you can't login as admin then there's no way to get the hash to crack.
If the firmware is completely locked down it usually needs a serial connection to debrand it.

Having had 3 separate iTalk provided ZyXEL devices it's unusual to see them so locked down.

Do they provide ANY username/password that can access any (even limited) web interface? Really crap if they don't let you configure anything at all.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 02:49:33 PM »

try this

supervisor
zyad1234 or zyad123

by a fluke a friend's vmg8324 was locked down but the above got us in..

wattoo

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »

Thanks both of you.

J0hn yes I'm surprised admin access is blocked, but know aaisp do the same on their Zyxels of more recent times.

Thanks skyeci, I have tried zyad1234 but not zyad123, will do so & post results here.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:45:13 PM »

Last year, I purchased a used-for-one-week, iTalk branded, ZyXEL VMGnnnn-B10x.

Upon its arrival I carefully peeled off the iTalk label from its bottom so that the original ZyXEL label was visible. I then downloaded every firmware image from the ZyXEL ftp server that were relevant for the device usage in this country. The rest of the de-branding process was as follows --
  • The device was powered up, allowed to stabilise, was given a 10 second press & hold of the recessed reset button and was allowed to re-stabilise.
  • With the device un-powered, the recessed reset button was depressed and was held in the operated position. The device was then powered up. Once the power LED had stopped flashing red and had turned solid red the reset button was released.
  • The LAN1 port of the device was then connected, via a standard Ethernet patch cable, to a computer whose NIC was configured with a static IPv4 address from within the range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254
  • On the computer, a web browser was opened and the address 192.168.1.1 was entered into the browser's address bar. The firmware upgrade page was then displayed.
  • A very early (i.e. old) firmware image was then uploaded to the device and, once the upload had completed, the device was left alone for five minutes.
  • After the five minute quiescent period, the recessed reset switch was pressed and held for ten seconds. The device was allowed to re-boot, stabilise and stand for a further five minutes, when it was then powered off.
  • The device was powered up and once it had stabilised, a logging telnet session was opened. The IPv4 address was 192.168.1.1 and the credentials admin/1234.
  • From the CLI prompt, the command save_default clean was issued.
  • From the CLI prompt, the command dumpmdm was issued.
  • The telnet session was terminated and the log file was examined. Towards the end of that log file could be found the supervisor password in plain text.
  • From a web-browser the GUI was entered using the admin/1234 credentials. The admin password was changed, as directed.
  • From the GUI, the device's firmware was updated to the latest, current, ZyXEL image.
The device was now pure vanilla ZyXEL, with all traces of iTalk removed. It was then ready to be configured and put into service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

wattoo

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 02:46:13 AM »

Thanks burakkucat

I tried this a day ago - the button hold from startup does result in a flashing red after a few seconds, however I was not able to get the solid red power light to illuminate with it held pressed for about a minute. How long did you have to wait for this? I have read elsewhere it is approx 30 seconds.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »

I suspect b*cat's method may only work with the VMG1312-B10A model.
I've not heard of it working on other Zyxels (happy to be corrected on that).
 :no:
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 05:03:17 PM »

It may or may not work for a VMG3925-B10B . . . but it is worth a try.

If after 30 seconds, with the power LED still flashing red, just try to establish a connection via each of the LAN ports in turn. You should be looking for the presence of the GUI when the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address is accessed via a web-browser.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

wattoo

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 10:03:44 PM »

Thanks, will try in the morning. The red light flashes once then reverts to green flashes (I recall). Will update here  :fingers:

wattoo

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 09:25:04 AM »

Not managed to get this working, returning to seller. Appears this model has no factory hard reset.

Thanks for all your response & help on this.

anything