Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vodafone Bandwidth/Congestion Tonight?  (Read 2389 times)

displaced

• Reg Member
Vodafone Bandwidth/Congestion Tonight?
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:23:07 PM »

Hi all,

My HG612 modem's connected at its usual 58Mbit, but an ethernet-connected machine at home is seeing ~7Mbit/sec speedtest-cli results.  It's normally rock-solid at about 58Mbit download.  I've checked my pfSense box -- not traffic congestion on my side.

Everything looks normal at my end, but am getting horribly slow throughput.  Has the elastic snapped or the hamster fallen off the wheel in Vodafone's core?
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

JamesK

• Reg Member
Re: Vodafone Bandwidth/Congestion Tonight?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »

There's been a few posts on the Vodafone forums about this. Quite a few people complaining about good sync speeds to the cabinet, but terrible download speeds, especially at peak times. Others have been complaining of high pings, packet loss, etc.  This has affected people using the Vodafone supplied router, and 3rd party devices, on wired and wireless connections. To me it looks like their network can't cope.

It seems the technical support that people have been getting has been pretty woeful. One of the best examples is saying "wireless interference" is the reason for slow downloads. Even on a wired connection.

Initially I was tempted to move over to them with their current deal of £20/month for 18 months. But the comments about the issues above have put me off.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

Adam86

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 12:21:38 PM »

How are you finding the Vodafone service at the minute?

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 04:55:58 PM »

I'll add my two penny-worth here, since I migrated to Vodafone just over two weeks ago.
Generally I have not noticed much problem with download speeds, although at peak times there can be a slight slowdown.

However, we don't have big download requirements, and if the cost of Vodafone FTTC had not been so cheap we would probably have stayed with ADSL. We also have a VERY good line, with a maximum of 190m of underground copper between us and the fibre cabinet, 70m of which is the single line on our property and thus without the possibility of crosstalk. We are also in a village location, so unlikely to experience as much local congestion as many others.

As always, YMMV.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 09:35:35 PM »

Sorry for not replying -- I'd forgotten to subscribe to the thread (or something... I didn't get any emails!)

Turned out it was temporary.  Back to normal a few hours later.

I must admit, Vodafone's performance has been great -- we're about 15 months into an 18 month contract, and that was the first instance of a network problem that wasn't something on my side.

Other than the initial fight I had to get my PPPoE login (back when they didn't allow any routers other than their own), the service has been fine. 

The only odd thing I've noticed is that VF seem to have very lazy PPPoE servers.  When establishing a new PPPoE session, my pfSense box can be sending PADI packets for ages before a PADO finally comes back.  Not something that happens unless I deliberately restart the session, but interesting to note.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:20:25 AM »

Vodafone's network has a bunch of congested backhauls at the moment.

They are pretty much giving away their service in an attempt to build market share and all those exchanges with a single gigabit backhaul, in some cases inevitably shared with others, are suffering.

I note a reseller stopped selling their product and moved their customers off the network Vodafone acquired from C&W for this reason.

anything