Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A  (Read 3821 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
« on: March 15, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »

Hello all,
I am currently using my Billion 8800NL modem router, and would like to switch to my recently purchased 8924-B10A. When I tried setting it up a couple of weeks ago, I just could not get it to work with DSLStats (one of the best things since sliced bread !!!!) I think the problem was that I had not supplied the correct username / password combination to allow DSLStats to login to the device to enable it to collect the stats. There were many Error / Warning messages in the DSLStats Event Log suggesting that the program was unable to log in to the modem / router.

So my question is - how can I find the correct username / password combination to make DSLStats work with this device. I read through the complete topic about 8324 / 8924 Firmware versions, and I believe some of the username / passwords are only available with some of the firmwares. I currently have installed Firmware version 20, if that helps.

Thanks for any / all suggestions

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »

should be the admin password. can you login via telnet using the admin account? V18 works on my 8324

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »

Also remember only one telnet session at a time - or at least it is for me with my 8324.  Eg so if you are using dslstats ensure you are not telneted into the modem with Putty separately as dslstats will then not work.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 03:51:03 PM »

Hello skyeci and ktz392837,

Thanks for replying, but just to check that I'm on the right lines, the username is admin and the password is a 4 digit number as provided in the accompanying documentation. Is that correct ?

I don't have the 8924 connected at the moment so I can't try the telnet login just yet, but I am hoping to do that either tomorrow or over the weekend.

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 03:55:34 PM »

hopefully yes.. the admin password should it work will also be the required password for dsl stats with the user being admin.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 02:03:04 PM »

Hi guys (and gals),
I seem unable to get this modem / router to work with DSLStats. As part of the setting up of the device, I was prompted to set a new password for user 'admin', and I am assuming that it is this password that I should be entering into DSLStats. But even when I do that the only thing that happens is that DSLStats is 'unable to login to modem /router'.

I have this morning reverted the firmware to v19, having been on v20, but this causes the same problem when trying to connect to DSLStats. I really am struggling to get this device to work with DSLStats -  it's obviously something STUPID that I'm doing, but I just don't know what. I guess that it may be worth a 'factory reset' and start from scratch. Forumite 'skyeci' asked if I was able to login via telnet using the admin account, but that doesn't seem to be possible either - the connection times out !!!!

I really would like to get this sorted, so if anyone has any other suggestions I would like to hear from you.

TTFN

Toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 02:18:31 PM »

roll it back to v18,just in case.

Whatever the routers admin password is will be the password dsl stats needs

Have you entered  the correct ip address for the router and selected the right modem from menu in dsl stats?

try telnet to the router and login as admin / the correct password. If this works then dsl stats should if you have configured the program correctly

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »

Hello skyeci,

Just carried out what you suggested, i.e. rolling back to v18, etc., but I've still got the same problem with DSLStats being 'unable to login to modem /router'. I'm using the correct modem selection in DSLStats (VMG8924-B10A), username (admin) and the password that I set following rolling back to v18 firmware, which resulted in me having to re-enter my ISP username and password.

The only telnet client I seem to have is on an old XP machine, but that doesn't connect either.

This is getting a bit weird

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 05:21:52 PM »

Have you definitely enabled telnet on the webui of the ZyXEL?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 05:41:21 PM »

Hello j0hn,

in answer to your question I have to say NO. I've just taken a look at all the setup options and I am unable to see anywhere that will enable telnet in the webui of the ZyXEL. Any pointer would be most welcome.

Toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 06:26:21 PM »

. . . I am unable to see anywhere that will enable telnet in the webui of the ZyXEL. Any pointer would be most welcome.

With a VMG1312-B10x device it would be under "Maintenance" --> "Remote MGMT".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 06:39:17 PM »

Thank you burakkucat, that's precisely what I had missed. It's now running again and DSLStats on my Raspberry Pi is once again producing what look like valid stats.

Thanks to all who have assisted in resolving this for me.

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 06:48:41 PM »

Thank you burakkucat, that's precisely what I had missed. It's now running again and DSLStats on my Raspberry Pi is once again producing what look like valid stats.

Purrfect.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 02:22:05 AM »

Happy to help :)
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM