Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Google ads causing site issues.  (Read 6465 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Google ads causing site issues.
« on: March 13, 2018, 09:01:28 PM »

We are aware of the problem causing slowness of some pages to load.   This is due to google ads.

DoubleClick for Publishers - Service Details

We're investigating reports of an issue with DoubleClick for Publishers. We will provide more information shortly. The affected users are able to access DoubleClick for Publishers, but are seeing error messages, high latency, and/or other unexpected behavior.

Tracking signals are sometimes returning HTTP errors in Europe

Whilst this issue is still unresolved, I have spent the past few hours adapting code to ensure impact on the site is minimal.
There are several posts on google forums about this service disruption which is affecting UK websites.

Link

There have been major problems with AdSense for 3-4 hours here in the UK (don’t know about elsewhere), intermittent 502 & 503 errors affecting various Google domains, preventing ads from loading, and when they do occasionally load they take a very, very, long time.

It’s not just DoubleClick, so far I’ve noticed that the following domains are affected:
pagead2.googlesyndication.com
googleads.g.doubleclick.net
adservice.google.co.uk

The symptoms resemble a DDOS attack, but with the resources that must be available to Google I’m guessing it’s more likely to be a major system fault, presumably only affecting Europe.

It's surprising that no-one on the forum mentioned this, but I guess it just goes to show how many people these days use ad-blockers and why for the past 3 months I've not received a single penny from google ads.    :'(

Please remember we are not profit-making and without any revenue from the small amount of income we do receive from advertising and donations then this site just cannot survive.  Our server running costs do not come cheap   :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: Google ads causing site issues.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:12:20 PM »

I thought the slow page-loads were a problem with my long-in-the-tooth iPad having WiFi issues!

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »

I had noticed it but not got round to reporting it.

but I guess it just goes to show how many people these days use ad-blockers and why for the past 3 months I've not received a single penny from google ads.    :'(

Please remember we are not profit-making and without any revenue from the small amount of income we do receive from advertising and donations then this site just cannot survive.  Our server running costs do not come cheap   :(

:o Not a penny? - I've deliberately set it not to block ads on this site - what's going on?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:16:34 PM »

Nope..  zilch this year :(

---
eta I think there may be some pending and still accumulating,  but google doesn't pay until you reach a min figure which iirc is £30/40.   Last time I rec'd anything was Dec.   The downtrend over the past year or so is worrying, yet traffic hasn't gone down.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:24:54 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:32:54 PM »

Hi

I’m soo sorry kitz, I use Tapatalk an awful lot so I guess I’m not seeing adblockers.

To be honest, I don’t use adblockers in browsers anyway, I use them rarely sorry. I think that’s why I don’t know all the features of your site and have asked some silly questions

Tapatalk does display ads though, just not sure if there your ads or not sorry

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »

I think Tapatalk display their own ads to cover their own costs... and nothing to do with me.
-----

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 10:44:46 PM »

I have ads blocked on here because in the past I've had issues with the site not behaving properly because of some of the ads being displayed where I could not use the back button to go back to my list of threads I was viewing.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:46:00 PM »

I had noticed slowness in pages loading and could identify "pagead2.googlesyndication.com" as a common factor but did not think it was worth mentioning.  :-[

As for advertisement blocking, "*.kitz.co.uk" is on my white-list and all advertisements are permitted. That has been the status for the last 18 months.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 10:57:01 PM »

I noticed it earlier, and I too have kitz.co.uk whitelisted. I guessed it was a temporary problem with Google ads.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »

google ads isnt what it used to be, on a site with 200k unique hits per week they get about £3 per week ad revenue. ad blockers have an impact of course but the revenue per hit is just so low now.

anything