Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: what to do in advance of engineer visit?  (Read 6202 times)

EFT

Re: what to do in advance of engineer visit?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 08:23:42 PM »

It's the Pod variety.

I'd been told that they weren't offering that product anymore. IIRC OR would cough up a certain amount of the install cost and I would cough the rest AND have to sign up for a 3 yr contract. But it was a few years back and my memory sure isn't what it used to be!

EFT

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »

And while we're at it - I just fired up Terminal and found the 'linestats' command. Please see attached...

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 01:02:14 AM »

I dug out my ancient HH5A and looked up how to reconnect it. It's been a few years since I've done so, and I recognise I just don't have the time to spend on stuff like this anymore - what with having young kids around these days.

My HH5A was up for about ten minutes before it reset itself with what I think was the "TR069" "4 value change" error.

It could well be that the TR069 messages are to do with the modem checking for and downloading/installing newer firmware (hence the reboot) something it may have to do multiple times given you haven't used it for so long

EFT

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »

Attached is a grab from my HG612. I set the clock on it at 2020pm last night. The grab shows all the disconnects I have had since then.

I need help with the appropriate terminology really. Is this a disconnection or a loss of sync? They look like such short periods of time to me. And I've not seen anything like this in six or seven years really.

EFT

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 11:30:58 AM »

Latest update for me - connection drops when the phone rings and I answer a landline call. Plus the noise seems much worse this morning.

engineer coming this afternoon.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 11:38:47 AM »

Is it just the ringing that does it or is it only when you answer? If it is the former does it still happen even when there is no phone plugged in?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 03:32:04 PM »

You have a defective joint in the circuit. A joint that is either semi-conductive or HR (high resistance). The audible noise and the loss of modem synchronisation when answering an incoming call are classic, "smoking gun", symptoms.

Your screen-scrapes show the modem re-training, following a loss of synchronisation with the cabinet based DSLAM.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

EFT

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 04:05:28 PM »

The engineer was a professional helpful guy. He called it "a fault that won't show itself/intermittent" where the dial tone would disappear and then return.

He traced the error back to my cabinet and will return there first thing to work on it. He also thinks another line is connected with mine as he heard my line still ringing when it should not have.

A good BT repair experience then and will report back when the fault is hopefully resolved tomorrow.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »

Progress has been made.  :)

I wonder why he was not able to finished the task today?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

EFT

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 09:19:41 AM »

He said yesterday there was too much foot traffic at the cab location for him to work safely. The nearby School was emptying out.

He was back onsite at 8am this morning. I knew my line was on and off from that time as my alarm system makes a few noises when there is no monitoring connection.

He just called me to let me know the problem was fixed. The line was clear again with no crackling in the background.

He said there was a break in the cable under the main road next to the cabinet. He moved me to a different cable.

I will monitor the line and the HG612 for the next 24 hours and see if I can beat last years record of 340 odd days of uptime.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments and assistance. It really is very much appreciated.

EFT

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 10:43:52 AM »

Attached are my latest grabs.

Shows I had another disconnection of less that thirty seconds just after 10AM.

Any further thoughts appreciated...

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 11:30:00 AM »

You know that the HG612 stats pages are Not to be relied !.
Install DSLstats and put some graphs up.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

EFT

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 01:39:08 PM »

No I didn't. As I said before, I haven't really had to think about the modem and the connection in years. It's been rock solid for a long time now. I'd take a look after a power cut but that's it.

I'm not familiar with DSLStats as I didn't have a Windows machine until last year.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 02:48:55 PM »

I'm not familiar with DSLStats as I didn't have a Windows machine until last year.

DSLStats will run on Windows, Linux or a dedicated Raspberry Pi version, see Roseway's, Eric's site here:
http://dslstats.me.uk/

The Huawei HG612 needs to be unlocked to provide detailed stat's to DSLStats, see details here:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

Easy to do and well worth the effort.

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

EFT

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »

Thanks!

Have downloaded and installed DSLStats. How long shall I leave it running for?

And what graphs should I post? What should I be looking out for?

Everything feels back to normal, line seems solid and no disconnects at all. No noise on the line anymore. Happy Days!
Pages: 1 [2] 3