Broadband Related > Router Monitoring Software

Accessing DSLStats remotely

<< < (2/8) > >>

broadstairs:
I port forward to TightVNC on my PC which runs my weather station, using that which is free it is easy to password protect both the connection and the server which makes life difficult for hackers.

Stuart

gt94sss2:
All, thanks for the replies and suggestions. I haven't had to port forward anything for years, and even then, it was rare.. hence the question of what to do, especially as I don't want to reboot the modem atm (its currently in the process of reducing SNRM)

I do have a No-IP DDNS address and previously had problems using it with the 8924 but Zyxel have fixed that now.

Special thanks to Westie, I was running an old version of RealVNC and hadn't known about the new account functionality which seems to do the job and will also be useful when I am called on to do tech support for family - plus I finally got email alerts working in DSLStats.. :)

tiffy:

--- Quote from: Westie on March 11, 2018, 03:18:39 PM ---I believe that if you sign up for a RealVNC account (free), you will be able to remotely access the Pi without needing to change anything on the router. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure details are available on their website.

--- End quote ---

Thanks to Westie for the prompt on RealVNC cloud usage:

While still mourning the loss of MDWS I have been investigating other options to keep any eye on my son's & daughter's VDSL2 lines remotely having invested in replacement (stat's friendly) routers and RPi Zero W's for both last year, my own line not being such a problem as monitored locally by an old RPi Mk.1B all now running Eric's latest DSLStats V.6.3.

As Westie suggested, set up a free RealVNC account and was surprised just how easy it was to set up the 3 RPi's for remote, cloud access, I still run Raspbian Jessie on the RPi's and VNC Server is fully integrated by default into this system, was already operational for LAN/WiFi local access to manage the respective Pi's, software/program updates etc. when required on the old DSLStats/MDWS set up.
Local access to each RPi is now available either by LAN/WiFi or cloud, an option to still permit local access as well as cloud access is available during the set up procedure, I chose both.

Obviously a poor substitute for MDWS with it's superb data recording, trending and archiving facilities but in my case a partial solution and justification to keep the two remote RPi's operational running DSLStats and will enable me to keep an eye on the families lines performance, with Eric's recent changes to the recording page time scale options on DSLStats Rev.6.3, records archiving space can now be greatly reduced and is easier managed.

Again, many thanks to Eric (Roseway) for so promptly engineering the changes (to date) to DSLStats post MDWS.

Edit:
No changes to any of the routers configurations were required.
Local router as per footer, remote routers, Billion 8800NL r1 and r2.     

Westie:

--- Quote from: gt94sss2 on March 12, 2018, 01:56:43 AM ---...plus I finally got email alerts working in DSLStats.. :)

--- End quote ---
I'm really struggling with that. I have tried several options: a gmail account, an iCloud account, and a personal domain account, either as originator or recipient of the email (using a different account for sending and receiving), but I cannot seem to get even the test email to work.

I must be doing something dumb, or missing some simple but vital step, but I have no idea what!  :no: I'm running DSLstats experimental v6.3 on a RPi Zero W, and everything else seems to be OK. If anyone else has successfully invoked email alerts on a similar setup I'd welcome a bit of guidance!

tiffy:
@Westie:
You have likely seen this thread:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15882.60.html
I found the installation of "libssl-dev" was essential to get e-mail elerts working on RPi's.

However, even with "libssl-dev" installed the only e-mail address that would work for me was my native Plusnet address, neither g-mail or live.co.uk addresses would work.

"j0hn" has answered a very recent post regarding DSLStats e-mail elerts using g-mail, something has to be changed on g-mail configuration, can't currently fine the post, he may pop up and advise.

Edit:
I'am still running Raspbian Jessie, never upgraded to "Stretch", don't know if that's relevant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version