Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Accessing DSLStats remotely  (Read 9891 times)

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: Accessing DSLStats remotely
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 06:29:26 PM »

Thanks for that, tiffy.

If (when) I get a RPi 3B+, I'll make sure to get the proper power supply too.  :)

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2018, 06:01:22 PM »

Well I'm almost sorted with my Pi and DSLstats.

Thanks for the help with the setup. It's automatically starting up and recording so that's one thing ticked off the list.

Finally got logged in via VNC after a hiccup with the default username/password being case sensitive (guide I had looked at had said 'Pi' so ended up getting the 'too many security failures' message.  Do people recommend changing the default Pi password?

Last, but not least, now I appear to have it up and running and can VNC into it, can I simply just pull the HDMI cable and carry out without doing anything else?

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2018, 06:06:19 PM »

Yes, mine is sat behind the router without the HDMI connected.
Only the PSU is plugged in. Using WiFi so no ethernet either.
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2018, 06:20:27 PM »

HDMI unplugged and it's sat beneath my TV in case I need to hook it up to the HDMI again (no HDMI connections on my monitors).

Just spotted on the other thread that there is a new version of DSLstats but I think I will wait for now until I mess around updating it :D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2018, 09:34:44 PM »

Congratulations Zico, well done.

As Deathstar has said, if you are using a WiFi link then the only connection required now in "headless" mode is PSU, as reported earlier in this thread, would not advise powering the RPi 3B+ from the modem USB socket as the power consumption is over 500 ma. at times, best to maintain a separate PSU for this RPi model.

Regarding DSLStats program revision updates, very easily done maintaining the "headless" connection mode, just download the new revision on your RPi, un-zip, halt DSLStats, modify auto-start file (and desktop shortcut if applicable) to new program path and instigate a RPi re-boot, your personal settings will be retained as configuration files are stored in a different location to the main program files.
Disconnect VNC session then re-connect after the RPi re-boots, should now be running the new DSLStats program revision.
I find I can even do this remotely on the 2 RPi Zero W's I look after running DSLStats at different locations.

If you wish to connect to your RPi across your LAN from a desktop or laptop PC at file level, I find that FileZilla Client (free use program) is very easy to use for file transfer or any other house keeping operations such as periodically archiving stat's history files to NAS / PC, other utilities are available.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2018, 12:58:00 AM »

Thanks for additional info Tiffy.

Running my Pi with the official PSU and connected via lan cable (it's sat next to the router) as this is the easiest option for me.

I'll probably wait for a bigger update of DSLstats before I change anything for the time being.

CPU usage on the 3B+ is minimal as far as I can see. I've only set DSLstats to same images once every 24hr's at 23:59 with sampling every 60 seconds.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2018, 12:49:07 PM »

@Zico:
Yes, dedicated PSU is the way to go.

LAN connection is fine, you will get the benefit of the new enchansed "almost G.Byte" speed with the RPi 3B+ if your router port supports that, would be surprised if you notice much difference running DSLStats to be honest.
I use a LAN connection on my old RPi 1B as it doesn't directly support Wi-Fi but use Wi-Fi connections on my 2 remote RPi Zero W's just for convenience even though they are mounted directly on their respective routers.
Remember, you also have the option of using a 5 G.Hz band Wi-Fi connection with your RPi 3B+ (new feature) if your router supports this.

There is a DSLStats program update currently pending, see Eric's post's on the v.6.3.4 forum thread so probably wise to wait until that is rolled out at least.
Eric has been very busy with requested changes to DSLStats since the demise of MDWS and program revisions are very frequent at present.   
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2018, 01:57:32 PM »

There is a DSLStats program update currently pending

That's right. I'll be uploading it shortly, and hopefully it will be the basis of the next full release.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3]