Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Accessing DSLStats remotely  (Read 9893 times)

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: Accessing DSLStats remotely
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 04:53:40 PM »

Current versions of Raspbian include RealVNC Server, which allows remote (secure) access to the Pi. I only use it from within the LAN, but I believe it can also be done over the Internet. Check out their website for details.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »

Current versions of Raspbian include RealVNC Server, which allows remote (secure) access to the Pi. I only use it from within the LAN, but I believe it can also be done over the Internet. Check out their website for details.

That maybe a better idea than using the Webserver for remote viewing.

EDIT - Now using that method. REMOTE VNC.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:47:49 PM by Deathstar »
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 06:10:45 PM »

Why not just password protect it? Loads of pages on t'internet on how to do that such as https://css-tricks.com/easily-password-protect-a-website-or-subdirectory/
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »

Are you sure that Raspbian Stretch (the latest version) has RealVNC Server installed by default, I did a trial run on Stretch on a stand alone RPi 3B, all be it as an upgrade from Jessie, found that the  VNC enable option was "greyed out", think I remember reading somewhere just after Stretch release that it did not have RealVNC Server installed by default, I could be wrong !

I'am still running Jessie on my currently active RPi's, VNC Server is certainly installed by default there.

See earlier in this thread ref. my experience with RealVNC over the cloud, have found this really usefull looking after the two remote RPi Zero W's I manage, can even install DSLStats program revisions remotely as well as monitoring the line stat's., certainly a good compromise in my case after the demise of MDWS.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 10:50:06 PM »

I have two RPi Zero W devices, both running Stretch headlessly and accessed by VNC.

I seem to remember reading somewhere (was it the RealVNC website?), that VNC server is included in the distro but has to be enabled. On my devices it's a radio button under Preferences>Raspberry Pi Configuration>Interfaces on the desktop GUI.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »

I have two RPi Zero W devices, both running Stretch headlessly and accessed by VNC.

I seem to remember reading somewhere (was it the RealVNC website?), that VNC server is included in the distro but has to be enabled. On my devices it's a radio button under Preferences>Raspberry Pi Configuration>Interfaces on the desktop GUI.

Thanks for the update, I stand corrected.
My only experience with Stretch to date is performing an upgrade from Jessie on a RPi 3B, in that case the VNC option radio button in Configuration>Interfaces was definately "greyed out", probably would not have been the case with a full clean install even though VNC server was active on the old Jessie revision !

I have a new RPi 3B+ in the post on which I intend to run Stretch so will be in a better position to further educate myself with respect to VNC Server default presence, have absolutely no doubt you will be proved correct, would be a backward step not to include VNC in a later operating system.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 01:53:45 PM »

I have a new RPi 3B+ in the post on which I intend to run Stretch

If you intend to run DSLstats on it I would be interested to know how you get on.

Since I installed the latest version of DSLstats and enabled the webserver, the RPi Zero W CPU is running at 100% for a significant proportion of the time, so response can be a bit sluggish. Ideally I should like to put the data store on a USB pen drive, but I'm not convinced the RPi could cope.

The 3B+ sounds like an ideal replacement if the router USB can handle the extra current load, but it's a significant investment (relative to a Zero W) and I need to save up some pennies first!

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »

@Westie:
Yes, I liked the look of the spec's of the new RPi 3B+ so ordered one up to have a play, thought the cost was quite reasonable with no increase from the existing RPi 3B, should be here tomorrow, will report how it performs by comparison to the RPi 3B I am currently running, the old RPi Mk 1B was painfully slow when trying to get kitz's webserver interface working.

To be honest and with absolutely no disrespect to kitz and roseway who have put so much time and effort into the webserver interface, I probably won't be using the browser interface and will likely revert back to my old RPi Mk 1B which is adequate for running DSLStats, it always managed to maintain a 100% upload record on MDWS, unless I'am missing something, the browser interface doesn't currently produce anything more than records to the page time scale chosen in DSLStats with history beyond that point lost.
The extended graph page time scale options Eric has now incorporated into DSLStats will likely be my prefered option with respect to historical data storage.

Historical data file storage to USB pen drive would be an option, don't see why the RPi Zero W could not handle this, worth a try.

I recently invested in a 1000 VA UPS unit so run my local RPi from that via normal, plug top PSU, my two remote RPi Zero W's are powered from their respective routers USB sockets.
However, if you are worried about, wish to monitor USB current consumption (and voltage) of your RPi's or anything else, see this very cheap little device which works really well, I bought one on Amazon some time ago (just to make up an order for free P&P) use it often and have identified a number of suspect, cheap USB plug top phone chargers to date.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Muker-J7-MultiMeter-Compatible-QC2-0-QC3-0/dp/B01D9IFJGO?th=1

Number of models available with enhanced features, I have the cheapest unit which fulfils all my requirements.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:21:49 PM by tiffy »

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 06:02:28 PM »

The average load on mine since enabling the Webserver is 10%, with a peak of 25% during sampling.
Pi 3B.
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 10:26:58 PM »

@tiffy:
Thanks for the info on the USB meter: I may get one of those little beauties! :)

I too have come to the conclusion that I'll stick with the 'vanilla' DSLstats, and not use the webserver facility. The webserver is good, particularly with kitz' interface, but the RPi ZeroW is just not up to the task of running it. The Pi has 'locked up' a couple of times recently, and since it's only happened since I started running the webserver, I suspect that's the cause.

Edit: I have just stopped the webserver, and the CPU load is at 100% for only short periods now whilst sampling and updating graphs/snapshots.

I may try later with a RPi 3B+, or possibly see what other methods might be developed.  :fingers:

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 06:47:11 PM »

Received my Pi3B+ starter kit today.

Absolutely no idea what I am doing with it (first time Pi) but bought it with the intention to get DSLstats running on it.

I found an old guide to setting up DSLstats on Pi here somewhere but is there a more current guide?

Picked up my Pi from ModMyPi and it's running the current Raspbian 4.9 Stretch.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 01:30:55 PM by Zico »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »

@Zico:

If you follow this thread should answer all your questions:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20672.0.html

As you will see in the thread, I had a long struggle to get the "auto-booting" of DSLStats working, this was finally resolved with the help of some of the very knowledgable forum members.
This feature is still worth having to maintain historical records in the event of a power outage but to my mind not just as important now since the sad demise of MDWS.

I note you have bought the full starter kit so will have a mouse, keyboard & display interface available, essential for the initial setup, you can then migrate to running the RPi headless using RealVNC if you so wish retaining the KB, mouse & VDU interface for future use with current or other PI's should the need arise.

The RPi 3B+ will be more than adequate to run DSLStats and the kitz webserver interface if you so wish, a much less powerful model such as the RPi Zero W will suffice if you are running DSLStats alone, I'am still running DSLStats on an old RPi Mk.1B, even lower spec. than the RPi Zero W.

I'am still waiting for a new RPi 3B+ in the post so don't have any personal experience with that model beyond the RPi 3B, probably will be using this for more demanding applications other than router stat's monitoring unless someone comes up with a more comprehensive, local replacement for MDWS in the future.

Good luck with the setup, there's plenty of help on the forum if you get stuck.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 03:10:49 PM »

@Zico, a few tips:

1. On the Pi, under Preferences>Raspberry Pi Configuration>System, set "Network at Boot" to "Wait for network". If you don't, DSLstats may start before the network is available and therefore fail to connect to the modem.

2. When you unzip the file downloaded from dslstats.me.uk rename the folder to "dslstats" without the version numbers, otherwise the autostart (see below) may not work.

3. Follow roseway's advice (repeated below & modified for current context):
Open your text editor and create a file called dslstats.desktop as below. Save it in /home/pi/.config/autostart/

Contents of dslstats.desktop:

Code: [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=DSLstats
Exec=/home/pi/dslstats/dslstats

Save this file, then reboot the RPi.

4. Don't forget to set DSLstats to "Autostart recording on program start" (under Configuration>Misc). I didn't do this to begin with, and it took a while to figure out why the program was running, but there were no stats!  :blush:

Hope this helps.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 07:51:12 PM »

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try tomorrow/Saturday!

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »

If you intend to run DSLstats on it I would be interested to know how you get on.

Since I installed the latest version of DSLstats and enabled the webserver, the RPi Zero W CPU is running at 100% for a significant proportion of the time, so response can be a bit sluggish. Ideally I should like to put the data store on a USB pen drive, but I'm not convinced the RPi could cope.

The 3B+ sounds like an ideal replacement if the router USB can handle the extra current load, but it's a significant investment (relative to a Zero W) and I need to save up some pennies first!

Finally received the RPi 3B+ this morning, set up on Raspbian Stretch running DSLStats and the kitz webserver interface on Chromium browser.
As would be expected, by direct comparison to the RPi 3B, everything loads and runs faster with the CPU activity recovering in a shorter time after sampling activity.

For reference, carried out comparative power consumption tests with the RPi 3B using this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Muker-J7-MultiMeter-Compatible-QC2-0-QC3-0/dp/B01D9IFJGO?th=1
with suitable adaptors running from a 2 amp, plug top PSU.
Ran both RPi's headless (to avoid mouse & KB loading) with Wi-Fi connection to router.
Ran RealVNC Terminal, DSLStats and the kitz webserver interface to Chromium browser for the tests.

Results:
RPi 3B, program idle, average current, approx. 220 ma.
RPi 3B, program sampling, peak current, approx. 330 ma.

RPi 3B+, program idle, average current, approx. 370 ma.
RPi 3B+, program sampling, peak current, approx. 460 ma.

Ensured that the USB supply voltage remained at or above 5 V. during the testing.
Obviously, difficult to accurately read a transient current on a digital display, sufficient to say in response to the question by Westie that the RPi 3B+ would be very near the 500 ma. current supply limit when powered from a router USB port and probably best separately powered.
Pages: 1 [2] 3