Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Accessing DSLStats remotely  (Read 9894 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Accessing DSLStats remotely
« on: March 11, 2018, 01:32:49 PM »

Running DSLStats v6.1.3 on a Raspberry Pi behind a Zyxel 8924

I have enabled the webserver within DSLStats but could someone tell me what I need to configure (on the router?) to be able to view this data from another location/network and (if poss) what settings I might need to change to allow me to VNC into the Pi when not on the local network?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Accessing DSLStats remotely
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »

nor sure if the zyxel offers any vpn options? you would need dynamic dns too if not on a static ip.

I have setup my Opnsense router behind my 8800 in bridge mode. Then my Opnsense router runs open vpn and dynamic dns service so I have a hostname resolving to my ip. I can access my network from my phone and then login to my stats pc. works well. It also works at my mum's but she a pi3 and can access it with no problem.

Asus routers will provide open vpn and work with dynamic dns. No doubt there are others but I have also had this working on my Asus rt-ac88u
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 02:11:58 PM by skyeci »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 02:13:29 PM »

VPN? Surely it is just forwarding what ever ports the web server and VNC are on. I'm sure the ZyXEL will do that.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 02:58:39 PM »

You can port forward the port(s) you want on the 8924. I did not have a lot of luck with my dynamic dns on that but No-IP provide a small utility to keep it updated, my 3925 worked OK as does the D6220 for ddns.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 03:18:39 PM »

I believe that if you sign up for a RealVNC account (free), you will be able to remotely access the Pi without needing to change anything on the router. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure details are available on their website.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »

I port forward to TightVNC on my PC which runs my weather station, using that which is free it is easy to password protect both the connection and the server which makes life difficult for hackers.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 01:56:43 AM »

All, thanks for the replies and suggestions. I haven't had to port forward anything for years, and even then, it was rare.. hence the question of what to do, especially as I don't want to reboot the modem atm (its currently in the process of reducing SNRM)

I do have a No-IP DDNS address and previously had problems using it with the 8924 but Zyxel have fixed that now.

Special thanks to Westie, I was running an old version of RealVNC and hadn't known about the new account functionality which seems to do the job and will also be useful when I am called on to do tech support for family - plus I finally got email alerts working in DSLStats.. :)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »

I believe that if you sign up for a RealVNC account (free), you will be able to remotely access the Pi without needing to change anything on the router. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure details are available on their website.

Thanks to Westie for the prompt on RealVNC cloud usage:

While still mourning the loss of MDWS I have been investigating other options to keep any eye on my son's & daughter's VDSL2 lines remotely having invested in replacement (stat's friendly) routers and RPi Zero W's for both last year, my own line not being such a problem as monitored locally by an old RPi Mk.1B all now running Eric's latest DSLStats V.6.3.

As Westie suggested, set up a free RealVNC account and was surprised just how easy it was to set up the 3 RPi's for remote, cloud access, I still run Raspbian Jessie on the RPi's and VNC Server is fully integrated by default into this system, was already operational for LAN/WiFi local access to manage the respective Pi's, software/program updates etc. when required on the old DSLStats/MDWS set up.
Local access to each RPi is now available either by LAN/WiFi or cloud, an option to still permit local access as well as cloud access is available during the set up procedure, I chose both.

Obviously a poor substitute for MDWS with it's superb data recording, trending and archiving facilities but in my case a partial solution and justification to keep the two remote RPi's operational running DSLStats and will enable me to keep an eye on the families lines performance, with Eric's recent changes to the recording page time scale options on DSLStats Rev.6.3, records archiving space can now be greatly reduced and is easier managed.

Again, many thanks to Eric (Roseway) for so promptly engineering the changes (to date) to DSLStats post MDWS.

Edit:
No changes to any of the routers configurations were required.
Local router as per footer, remote routers, Billion 8800NL r1 and r2.     
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:34:00 PM by tiffy »
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 03:31:26 PM »

...plus I finally got email alerts working in DSLStats.. :)
I'm really struggling with that. I have tried several options: a gmail account, an iCloud account, and a personal domain account, either as originator or recipient of the email (using a different account for sending and receiving), but I cannot seem to get even the test email to work.

I must be doing something dumb, or missing some simple but vital step, but I have no idea what!  :no: I'm running DSLstats experimental v6.3 on a RPi Zero W, and everything else seems to be OK. If anyone else has successfully invoked email alerts on a similar setup I'd welcome a bit of guidance!

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »

@Westie:
You have likely seen this thread:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15882.60.html
I found the installation of "libssl-dev" was essential to get e-mail elerts working on RPi's.

However, even with "libssl-dev" installed the only e-mail address that would work for me was my native Plusnet address, neither g-mail or live.co.uk addresses would work.

"j0hn" has answered a very recent post regarding DSLStats e-mail elerts using g-mail, something has to be changed on g-mail configuration, can't currently fine the post, he may pop up and advise.

Edit:
I'am still running Raspbian Jessie, never upgraded to "Stretch", don't know if that's relevant.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:05:03 PM by tiffy »
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 04:16:36 PM »

you need to "allow less secure apps on the google/gmail side". My pi3 works via gmail no probs..

dsl stats settings on mine is
smtp.gmail.com 
ssl  port 465

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:09:12 PM by skyeci »

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 07:21:10 PM »

Thanks for the input guys...

I installed libssl-dev, but still couldn't get anything to work.

Then I found the missing simple but vital step: I had omitted to tick the box "Send event log alerts"!  :wall: :wall: :paperbag:

It's working fine now! :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 11:33:59 PM »

I'm really struggling with that.

I also spent ages trying to get it to work with gmail before giving up and finding success with the btinternet's smtp server.

I had "allow less secure apps on the google/gmail side" but never installed libssl-dev so perhaps that is where I went wrong

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 03:45:13 PM »

Quote from: gt94sss2 link=topic=21194
I also spent ages trying to get it to work with gmail before giving up and finding success with the btinternet's smtp server.

Gmail smtp needs port 587 with STARTTLS enabled .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »

Following on from Kitz Thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21237.0.html on creating a new custom interface for monitoring of the stats. I've set up port forwarding to allow me to view from outside my network.
All working a treat, however I have a question about security...

Is there anyway to password protect access, as essentially I have a port sat open that has a window into my pi, and potentially network.
Or as I am using the Pi, its inherently safe?

Thoughts?
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U
Pages: [1] 2 3