Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DSLstats experimental version 6.3  (Read 6257 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DSLstats experimental version 6.3
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »

I saw this earlier, but was unsure what to do.   
We could start a new thread for "DSLstats suggestions" but I feared that may open the floodgates and an open invite more work for Eric if too many suggested are added.
Roseway already has enough on his plate and I'm mindful at the amount of time he may already be devoting to trying to fill the gaps.

Plus he's also been doing this

Eric is going to make a new build of dslstats which will present the data as is uploaded to MDWS, so we can use that to see the data format.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 06:39:26 PM »

I confess that I didn't really know what was best. There's nothing new about people requesting new features or modifications, but the demise of MDWS has led to an increase in ideas to compensate for its loss. I think I would prefer to stay with what's happening now, and I'll try to give a response to new suggestions and work on them as best I can.

Regarding Chrysalis's project to set up a new service similar to MDWS, I'm happy to support this so long as my side of things doesn't become too complicated.
  Eric

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »

Is it worth collating the requests and creating a survey?
The survey could be used to aid prioritisation.

It could be along the lines off:-

Request 1 - leadtime 4 weeks minimum
Request 2 - leadtime 1 week maximum.

Just a thought?

I feel also feel, that the software should not longer be free, but downloadable for a fee.
Whether this fee goes in your pocket or charity that's up to you.
Mainly because people could be taking advantage of your hard work.

Please disregard if you think it's not appropriate.

VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 09:15:03 PM »

Just a thought?

I feel also feel, that the software should not longer be free, but downloadable for a fee.
Whether this fee goes in your pocket or charity that's up to you.
Mainly because people could be taking advantage of your hard work.

Please disregard if you think it's not appropriate.

I agree to some extent to what you are saying.   Eric has always maintained that his work is open-source, but over the past week or so he has had a lot of additional pressure that he should perhaps be rewarded for.

Perhaps he could do something similar to what I do and set up a completely separate paypal account. 
Any donations that go into the site's paypal account are only ever used to transfer funds direct to my web hosting company. 
By using a donate button, those who wish to help out could and it would at least then cover the cost of his hosting dslstats.me.uk, whilst still maintaining what he originally intended to do by making free software.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 10:35:57 PM »

Hi

I hope you don’t mind but there’s a few things

I could offer a free hosting account to roseway (already offered but not needed)

Roseway has already suggested money is not the reason for delayed changes but time is

Surveys I find not very good, and can be manipulated (we run surveys/voting on a forum I mod on)

I honestly don’t mean to sound negative, but think this may put more pressure on roseway at a time when time is important to roseway so please do not think I am criticizing in any way

I could be entirely wrong though, so apologies in advance

Many thanks

John

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 10:41:41 PM »

Re my suggestion of a separate thread - I suggested it just because things were going on in two threads about this which is why I missed that the suggestion about the DSLStats webserver had already been done and dusted. It gets tricky to follow when things are happening on the same topic in more than one thread.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 10:52:56 PM »

Obviously, its Roseway's choice in the end how to proceed with the development of DSLStats re: donations but I would personally be opposed to a fee.

I would share John's concerns that charging and/or voting for certain new features risks putting more pressure on Roseway  to develop the software at a time when he has other commitments.

If the efforts by Chrysalis/others to develop a MDWS alternative get off the ground, then those calling for features now, may not actually want or need them in DSLStats at a later date

I actually have a small enhancement request which I think would be very simple to do but haven't raised it, as I would prefer Roseway devote what time he currently has to things that he considers a higher priority and to free his time to concentrate on the new build of dslstats which should help in developing the alternative to MDWS

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 10:54:19 PM »

To be honest, dealing with a survey in the way suggested above would just be an extra pressure for me. What John says above is absolutely right. And I am definitely not willing to accept donations, however kindly they are meant - if anyone really wants to express appreciation in that way, please give it to Kitz, who has real problems financing the Kitz sites.

Please everyone, I know you all want to be helpful, but I'm getting older, I'm not as sharp as I was, and I don't want DSLstats development to become a chore. I'll do my best to incorporate the requested improvements, but at a speed which I'm comfortable with.

Thank you all.
  Eric

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 11:37:22 PM »

To be honest, dealing with a survey in the way suggested above would just be an extra pressure for me. What John says above is absolutely right. And I am definitely not willing to accept donations, however kindly they are meant - if anyone really wants to express appreciation in that way, please give it to Kitz, who has real problems financing the Kitz sites.

Please everyone, I know you all want to be helpful, but I'm getting older, I'm not as sharp as I was, and I don't want DSLstats development to become a chore. I'll do my best to incorporate the requested improvements, but at a speed which I'm comfortable with.

Thank you all.

Well said and perfectly understandable, Eric
Pages: 1 [2]

anything