Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Robotic Vacuum Cleaners  (Read 1581 times)

displaced

• Reg Member
Robotic Vacuum Cleaners
« on: April 20, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »

Just wondering if anyone had given them a try and to share my own experiences.

We decided to pick up a Eufy Robovac 11 in an Amazon lightning deal.  These devices are massively cheaper than they used to be when Roombas were the only option.  We got ours for £140, which puts it into "What!? That's half of a Dyson!" territory.

We both work 9-5:30, and including the commute, we're out of the house from 7:20am to 7pm.  With such long working days I knew we weren't hoovering as much as we'd like.  And that was a bit of a shame because a freshly-hoovered carpet does feel and look quite nice.

I got the Eufy fully prepared to have to return it -- expectations were that low.  Its specs say it's good for hard floors and short-pile carpet.  Out ground floor is entirely doorless from hallway to living/dining room, to kitchen.  Hall and kitchen are hardwood and tile, but the living/dining room is reasonably thick carpet.

It arrived and I set it up, ready for it to fail on the carpet.  But off it went, perfectly happy.  It crosses between surfaces fine, gets into corners acceptably, and does a really great job on edges.

It's been superb.  And a great side-effect is that we tend to put stuff away so that the Eufy's got a clear run every day (it starts automatically at 10am), so there's generally less clutter around too.

If you've been thinking about giving these a try, you could do much worse than the Robovacs!
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

V_R

• Reg Member
Re: Robotic Vacuum Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:26:22 PM »

I've been looking at them myself now they are not quite so eyewateringly expensive.

In fact that one is the exact model that is in my Amazon wish list.

Question: We have Karndean in the kitchen, lounge and hall with carpet in the bedrooms, will it be OK climbing the door bar? Its a good 2-3cm higher as the carpet is quite thick. Do you think it will manage it?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:29:44 PM by V_R »
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 08:26:07 PM »

Hmm... 3cm might be pushing it, 2 is probably OK.

Our door bar from the hallway wood floor to the lounge carpet is just over 1cm, and rounded.  I think the roundedness is important - helps the nose of the vacuum pass over until the wheels can climb the step.  Unfortunately it's probably one of those 'try it and see' things!

The only thing Geoffrey (yes, we've named it!) struggles with is the tubing on the legs of our dining room chairs.  They're the style where the legs come down at the front, then bend horizontally across the floor to the back.  He can climb onto those, but then loses traction to get back off or fully over.  But that's only occasionally -- usually it turns away or manages to unstick itself.

YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »

Yeah its nowhere near 2-3cm sorry lol. I was not thinking, its more like 1cm maybe 1.2cm at most.

I've been looking around and am very tempted by this: https://www.banggood.com/Original-Xiaomi-Mi-Home-Smart-Robot-Vacuum-Cleaner-LSD-and-SLAM-1800Pa-5200mAH-with-APP-Control-p-1098131.html
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.