Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tesco Broadband  (Read 9736 times)

bob180

• Just arrived
Tesco Broadband
« on: March 09, 2006, 02:42:45 AM »

Hi there,

Is anyone able to pass any comments on Tesco Broadband which uses Datastream ASDL technology, regarding reliability on connection speeds & access, as I note there is no mention of this ISP on kitz's website  :?:  

Your earliest reply would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Bob M.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Tesco Broadband
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 11:24:10 AM »

Hi Tesco broadband is as you say a datastream provider.
They are actually a vISP (virtual ISP) rather than a true ISP, which is possibly why you wont find mention of them on many sites.

They use NTL as their carrier and also the NTL call centres for support.
Theres no migration path atm from Tesco.net to another ISP and therefore requires a full cease and reprovide if you wish to move.

On one of the forums I visit, there was an awful lot of slow speeds and problems associated with Tesco.net when they first started off a year or so ago, but things do seem to have quitened down on that front.

Although they advertise as "Unlimited" on some of their packages, I seriously doubt whether they are able to offer a true unlimited service.
1Mb unlimited for ?19.97 isnt sustainable for even a datastream ISP, so I wouldnt be surprised if they do something "aka tiscali" if you say go over 20GB. Even Wanadoo/Freeserve's "unlimited" is limited to 30/40GB respectively.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Tesco Broadband
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 01:46:53 PM »

For the benefit of other readers in response to this:

......... but what do you actually mean by the following part of your response- in particular the bits I have underlined in bold:-

".......They use NTL as their carrier and also the NTL call centres for support.
Theres no migration path atm from Tesco.net to another ISP and therefore requires a full cease and reprovide if you wish to move."

There are 3 types of adsl - IPStream, DataStream and LLU, of which I explain in more detail on my page IPStream - v- DataStream.

Tesco net arent a true ISP as they dont have their own central pipes and resell services from another provider.  In this case they use NTL, who provide the datastream backhaul.  If you have to phone tesco.net you will in fact be speaking to NTL staff.

Moving between ISP's is explained on my page about ISP Migration.

In days gone by if you wished to swap ISPs it would involve a considerable amount of downtime (without adsl) whilst BT switched you between the providers.  Then they *invented* the MAC key and migration process which meant that users only had a few mins of downtime rather than weeks or months..  as the process involved a long drawn out proceedure involving a couple of separate engineers visits to the exchange.

There is supposed to be  a migration path now between IPStream and DataStream, but for some reason it isnt something that the DataStream providers like to do, and I havent heard of many sucessful Datastream --> IPStream migrations.  The last one I saw mentioned was when Tesco botched up and ceased the line.

As regards to can I give you any information on the "reliability & connection speeds of Tesco Broadband "...  well not really.
Because Tesco is a vISP then you will find that many isp review sites wont mention them.  I tried to remain as unbiased as I could in my post above, yes they did have major problems, yes most of it has died down now.  
I cant comment further because I dont personally know anyone who uses them, simply because they arent someone I would recommend to anyone I do know.

Hope that answers your queiries.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything