Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Three UK Launch 4G Home Broadband Plan with Unlimited Data  (Read 1133 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Three UK Launch 4G Home Broadband Plan with Unlimited Data
« on: February 04, 2019, 11:25:30 AM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/02/three-uk-launch-4g-home-broadband-plan-with-unlimited-data.html

Mobile operator Three UK has launched a new 3G / 4G supporting Mobile Broadband router and data plan called HomeFi that’s aimed at home users, which is one of the first such packages that we’ve seen to include “unlimited data” and at a cost of just £22 per month on a 24 month contract term.

The new Home-Fi package is designed to be used like a home broadband connection, albeit delivered over Three’s mobile network instead of a fixed line connection. As such the bundle includes a Huawei B311 router, which is able to distribute the mobile data connection out to a maximum of up to 32 connected devices (Phones, Laptops etc.) via WiFi (only supports the 2.4GHz band).
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Three UK Launch 4G Home Broadband Plan with Unlimited Data
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 11:28:28 AM »

That's a pretty good deal. If you're not in to gaming then that would be good for browsing and downloading files etc.

I do have 2 questions though, maybe someone who currently uses mobile broadband could answer.

1. What is mobile broadband like for streaming services, do they buffer or are they ok?

2. What is the upload rate like?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Three UK Launch 4G Home Broadband Plan with Unlimited Data
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 12:49:12 PM »

Hi Bowdon, both you and ISP review are a little out of date.

Three have had unlimited data since around Black Friday for £20 a month, which you can use in a modem if you want to.

The specific data sim that you linked to is more recent I believe.

For answers to your questions see this thread and the ones that are linked to in it.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,23028.0.html

The biggest issue with mobile broadband is CGNat and the lack of a public IP, but if you don't game and don't need to access your network remotely then it's probably fine.

My speeds at home on my phone reach 100/30Mbps via Three 4G, but very much depends on location and congestion.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

anything