Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: DSLstats after the demise of MDWS  (Read 19899 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
DSLstats after the demise of MDWS
« on: March 05, 2018, 07:01:07 PM »

I've been giving some thought to what I might do to partly fill the gap. Please be aware that personal circumstances mean that I won't be willing to take on any extensive new development, but I can do some small things.

One very simple option is the proposal by ktz392837 to save frequent zipped copies of the raw telnet data. This would at least preserve the history for as long as the user wants.

Probably a more interesting option would be to retain most of the MDWS-related code but copy the data to a local folder instead of uploading it to MDWS.. The data is in a zipped CSV format, so it can be displayed in a spreadsheet for viewing or further processing. I could also upload this data to a publicly accessible site if someone is prepared to set this up and administer it. This would of course represent a substantial commitment by someone.

These are just some initial thoughts. What do you all think?

Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DSLstats after the demise of MDWS
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:11:24 PM »

Probably a more interesting option would be to retain most of the MDWS-related code but copy the data to a local folder instead of uploading it to MDWS. The data is in a zipped CSV format, so it can be displayed in a spreadsheet for viewing or further processing.

The first part of your second suggestion (above) would be of interest to me, please.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 07:37:22 PM »

Eric I think your suggestion to archive a zip file on the local machine would be a good one as in the past it is the old data which has been of use to me when arguing with my ISP.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 07:43:54 PM »

Another option for me is to extend the "delete snapshots after X days" to indefinite.
That way allow the user to store as much historical data as they please.
I've not looked into the MWDS folder as of yet due to my own time constraints, but I assume it's an a format that is excellable...
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »

Roseway I am happy for anything that keeps an archive of data hopefully by the minute.

I just suggested the saving the raw telnet data as a guess of something that might be possible with your limited time.  If there is something easier please go with that just anything to keep a historic minute by minute log of line stats just in case there is a problem so it can be used for diagnostics with our isps would be brilliant.

The saving of MDWS data to a local folder sounds like it would be ideal (would need to include data only gathered at sync or per hour not just the per minute stuff) and as it would probably be more usefully formatted than raw telnet data this sounds like the better option.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:48:43 PM by ktz392837 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 08:13:46 PM »

I could also upload this data to a publicly accessible site if someone is prepared to set this up and administer it. This would of course represent a substantial commitment by someone.

I don't want to cause you additional work, but a thought on that.   
Whoever takes it over is going to be responsible for a substantial amount of bandwidth for everyone stats and take care of GDPR.

Is there anyone prepared to make some standardised GUI's for the graphs  (I realise DSLstats has some basic ones) based on the data that is normally uploaded to MDWS

THEN making each person responsible for their own data upload to either a site of their choice or on the local machine (in a similar way to what you can with DSLstats atm.)

I haven't really played with the web-server already in DSLstats, all I have done is a while ago I got it mapping SNRM on the local machine.    I perhaps need to revisit the inbuilt web server again, but a couple of things that I seem to recall:-

- The pages such as snrm.html, crc.html etc could perhaps do within being within their own subfolder rather than at the root.
- Option to designate a specific url for the graphing rather than IP    eg kitz.co.uk/linestats/snrm.html   (I couldn't seem to find a way to change this).

Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn here and I'm not sure how viable the next part is, but John from d2d4j offers cheap hosting to kitz forum members. 
Is there a package that he could put together for displaying DSLstat graphs.    Obviously it must be sufficient to cover his own running costs, but by making each member responsible for their own hosting then that completely does away with the GDPR requirements.   Apols to John if this isnt viable or not possible.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 08:21:47 PM »

Is there any way one could run the site locally and have DSLStats 'upload' to the local host, thus having the same access to the graphing and stats etc, juts obviously it would only be your own stats?

That too me would be the simplest option, if its doable that is. At least that way those who what to continue graphing can?

I would take over the site in a heartbeat if I had the time and knowledge to maintain it.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 09:51:48 PM »

The first part of your second suggestion (above) would be of interest to me, please.
And to me too, please.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 10:25:58 PM »

You would think the world has ended because MDWS is going offline, You can get all the info that you need on your circuit from DSLstats when using your PC/RPI 24/7 to gather stats and graphs have set it up see 14 days worth of stats it shows all the normal graphs you really need.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 11:00:21 PM »

Would it be possible to be able to specify a directory path for the web server files without running the web server?

I have a NAS box running a web server and can map a directory to a drive  (or use a \\servername\directory path) which would allow the DSLstats web pages to be viewed. I'm sure many other people already have web servers which could be used if DSLstats could write to the correct place.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 12:09:26 AM »

My issue with DSLStats is that I am running it on an iMac using Nallar's Docker version.

When I look at where the snapshots are held it gives the location as /root/.dslstats/, which presumably is where the files will be stored under Linux.

However this doesn't relate to an identified location on teh Mac.  Is it possible to access these files?

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 12:21:39 AM »

On a RPi (Raspbian Linux), there is a button next to the 'Snapshot directory' box, so you can change the location to somewhere else if you wish.

The initial period in the name of the directory .dslstats means it is a hidden directory. Are you able to view hidden directories?

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 12:33:00 AM »

On a RPi (Raspbian Linux), there is a button next to the 'Snapshot directory', so you can change the location to somewhere else if you wish.

The initial period in the name of the directory .dslstats means it is a hidden directory. Are you able to view hidden directories?

I think the problem is that the directory locations on offer are the Linux choices and IO can't point it to something meaningful from a Mac perspective.

I have also just tried to set up the web server configuration and can't get any joy in terms of being able to access the stats.  I am running a Netgear Orbi so have the PC on the Orbi LAN as 10.0.0.2 and have separate network configuration set up with the iMac as 192.168.1.100 for picking up the sats from the modem.  Trying to access either 192.168.1.100:55555/snrm.html or 10.0.0.2:55555/snrm.html just gives me a site not reached message in Chrome.

Am I missing something or is this just an issue with running DSLStats under Docker?

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 01:18:20 AM »

I know nothing about Docker, and little about the Mac, so I am unable to help further. Sorry.  :no:

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 07:30:55 AM »

@jaydub: I'm afraid I'm in the same position as Westie, so this one is going to have to be shelved for the present, while I work through the more widely needed options.

@jelv: Yes, I can add an option to specify the location of the webserver files. I don't know if the directory selector dialog will be able to link directly to the NAS box, so you may have to map it to a local directory as you mentioned.

To everyone else: I'm going to have to do this in stages, and I haven't digested everything yet, but I'm fairly sure that my first job will be to save the MDWS zips locally.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

anything