Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Using xdslctl --minINP to reduce ES  (Read 3951 times)

GaryW

Using xdslctl --minINP to reduce ES
« on: March 05, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »

Hi all,

So, I just stumbled across two interesting xdslctl configure options: [--minINP <sym>] and [--maxDelay <ms>]

I'm guessing that minINP would allow me force a higher INP (e.g. 8.00 rather than my usual 3.50), although I'm not sure what maxDelay would do as it sounds like it allows Delay to be reduced below what DLM has decided on!

The reason I'm interested is that I'd like to keep ES green to get my banding removed, but with a DS sync of only 15000 I'd rather not have to cap it...and minINP sounds like it gives me the option of forcing higher interleaving instead. When I've had red days and my INP has gone up to 8.00 (like at the moment), the ES are negligible with no obvious negative impact to me (mainly streaming, not gaming, so latency isn't an issue).

Does anyone have experience of these options, and is my understanding correct?  If so, does anyone know the syntax for <sym>? (e.g. is it "8.00" or just "8" for INP 8.00)  I know I could just play, but I'd rather not have to keep resetting the connection while I experiment!

Btw, this is for a Billion 8900AX-2400 in case it makes a difference (and ECI cab so no G.INP yet....)

EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Using xdslctl --minINP to reduce ES
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »

xdsltcl --help

Code: [Select]
xdslctl --help
Usage: xdslctl start [--up] <configure command options>
       xdslctl stop
       xdslctl connection [--up] [--down] [--loopback] [--reverb]
           [--medley] [--noretrain] [--L3] [--diagmode] [--L0]
           [--tones <r1-r2,r3-r4,...>] [--normal] [--freezeReverb] [--freezeMedley]
       xdslctl configure/configure1 [--mod <a|d|l|t|2|p|e|m|M3|M5|v>] [--lpair <(i)nner|(o)uter>]
           [--trellis <on|off>] [--snr <snrQ4>] [--bitswap <on|off>] [--sesdrop <on|off>]
           [--sra <on|off>] [--CoMinMgn <on|off>] [--i24k <on|off>] [--phyReXmt <0xBitMap-UsDs>]
           [--Ginp <0xBitMap-UsDs>] [--TpsTc <0xBitMap-AvPvAaPa>] [--monitorTone <on|off>]
           [--profile <0x00 - 0xFF>|<"8a |8b |8c |8d |12a |12b |17a |30a">] [--us0 <on|off>]
           [--dynamicD <on|off>] [--dynamicF <on|off>] [--SOS <on|off>] [--maxDataRate <maxDsDataRateKbps maxUsDataRateKbps maxAggrDataRateKbps>]
           [--forceJ43 <on|off>] [--toggleJ43B43 <on|off>]
       xdslctl bert [--start <#seconds>] [--stop] [--show]
       xdslctl afelb [--time <sec>] [--tones] [--signal <1/2/8>]
       xdslctl qlnmntr [--time <sec>] [--freq <msec>]
       xdslctl inm [--start <INMIATO> <INMIATS><INMCC><INM_INPEQ_MODE><INM_INPEQ_FORMAT>] [--show]
       xdslctl snrclamp [--shape <shapeId>] [--bpshape [bpIndex-bpLevel,]]
       xdslctl nlnm [--show ] [--setThld <Thld_Num_Tones>]
       xdslctl diag [--logstart <nBytes>] [--logpause] [--logstop] [--loguntilbufferfull <nBytes>] [--loguntilretrain <nBytes>] [--dumpBuf <sizeKb>]
       xdslctl ntr [--start [output freq(default is 8000)]] [--stop]
       xdslctl info [--state] [--show] [--stats] [--SNR] [--QLN] [--Hlog] [--Hlin] [--HlinS] [--Bits]
           [--24hrhiststat][--pbParams] [--linediag] [--linediag1] [--reset] [--vendor] [--cfg] [--webstats]
       xdslctl profile [--show] [--save] [--restore]
       xdslctl --version
       xdslctl --help

I know you may be excited at coming across commands you've not seen before, but alas, we know them all.
Most of them do nothing.
Openreach configure their DSLAMs to follow the DLM profile of your line and modems shouldn't override these.

Only 1 chipset I know let's you override INP/Delay on OpenReach kit. The horrible Mediatek chipset found in Asus Modems. That requires a 3rd party console app to do it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

GaryW

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 02:17:52 PM »

I understand that we can't override what the DSLAM decides if it's to our "benefit" (e.g. asking for a higher sync speed than the DSLAM will allow, asking for a lower target SNRM), but asking for worse (i.e. higher) interleaving doesn't seem conceptually different from capping the speed at a level lower than the DSLAM would allow.  Does it definitely not work to ask (for example) for INP 8 when the DSLAM would give you INP 3.50?  (Here's the help from the Billion, which includes minINP)

Code: [Select]
Usage: xdslctl start [--up] <configure command options>
       xdslctl stop
       xdslctl connection [--up] [--down] [--loopback] [--reverb]
           [--medley] [--noretrain] [--L3] [--diagmode] [--L0]
           [--tones <r1-r2,r3-r4,...>] [--normal] [--freezeReverb] [--freezeMedley]
       xdslctl configure/configure1 [--mod <a|d|l|t|2|p|e|m|M3|M5|v>] [--lpair <(i)nner|(o)uter>]
           [--trellis <on|off>] [--snr <snrQ4>] [--bitswap <on|off>] [--sesdrop <on|off>]
           [--sra <on|off>] [--CoMinMgn <on|off>] [--minINP <sym>] [--maxDelay <ms>] [--i24k <on|off>] [--phyReXmt <0xBitMap-UsDs>]
           [--Ginp <0xBitMap-UsDs>] [--TpsTc <0xBitMap-AvPvAaPa>] [--monitorTone <on|off>]
           [--profile <0x00 - 0xFF>|<"8a |8b |8c |8d |12a |12b |17a |30a">] [--us0 <on|off>]
           [--dynamicD <on|off>] [--dynamicF <on|off>] [--SOS <on|off>] [--maxDataRate <maxDsDataRateKbps maxUsDataRateKbps maxAggrDataRateKbps>]
           [--forceJ43 <on|off>] [--toggleJ43B43 <on|off>]
       xdslctl bert [--start <#seconds>] [--stop] [--show]
       xdslctl afelb [--time <sec>] [--tones] [--signal <1/2/8>]
       xdslctl qlnmntr [--time <sec>] [--freq <msec>]
       xdslctl inm [--start <INMIATO> <INMIATS><INMCC><INM_INPEQ_MODE><INM_INPEQ_FORMAT>] [--show]
       xdslctl snrclamp [--shape <shapeId>] [--bpshape [bpIndex-bpLevel,]]
       xdslctl nlnm [--show ] [--setThld <Thld_Num_Tones>]
       xdslctl diag [--logstart <nBytes>] [--logpause] [--logstop] [--loguntilbufferfull <nBytes>] [--loguntilretrain <nBytes>] [--dumpBuf <sizeKb>]
       xdslctl ntr [--start [output freq(default is 8000)]] [--stop]
       xdslctl info [--state] [--show] [--stats] [--SNR] [--QLN] [--Hlog] [--Hlin] [--HlinS] [--Bits]
[--pbParams] [--linediag] [--linediag1] [--reset] [--vendor] [--cfg]
       xdslctl profile [--show] [--save] [--restore]
       xdslctl --version
       xdslctl --help
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:21:39 PM by GaryW »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »

To also add it's not necessarily the Openreach kit which blocks things like changing the SNRM target on a device using the Broadcom chipset, it's more likely that some of the parameters only work on ADSLx based connections (such as adjusting the SNRM target) when using a device with a Broadcom chipset. I'm curious to know if the minINP and maxDelay actually work, but I'm expecting they don't.

If it were me I'd try minINP 8 and maxDelay 16.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:20:53 PM »

I know you may be excited at coming across commands you've not seen before, but alas, we know them all.
Whoever this "we" refers to must have been keeping these --minINP and --maxDelay commands to themselves then. They don't seem to exist in various older xdslctl binaries nor in the source code I found for it.

Openreach configure their DSLAMs to follow the DLM profile of your line and modems shouldn't override these.
Yes, and people shouldn't set rate caps either.

If the commands work, and if they only allow you to further restrict what the DSLAM specifies, you'll probably find that increasing the INP without being able to increase the delay would reduce the net data rate (sync speed). So you might not want to cap the rate, but it may end up reducing the rate anyway.

GaryW

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 07:21:43 AM »

I finally had an opportunity to try this - sufficient ES overnight to make this a yellow day already, so nothing to lose :-)  And I can confirm that it has no effect, certainly for VDSL.  I used:

xdslctl configure --minINP 8 --maxDelay 16

which restarted the connection but had no effect on the INP (it remained at 3.50 downstream and fastpath upstream).  So it looks like the only option to try to reduce ES is to cap the sync speed.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »

I finally had an opportunity to try this - sufficient ES overnight to make this a yellow day already, so nothing to lose :-)  And I can confirm that it has no effect, certainly for VDSL.  I used:

xdslctl configure --minINP 8 --maxDelay 16

which restarted the connection but had no effect on the INP (it remained at 3.50 downstream and fastpath upstream).  So it looks like the only option to try to reduce ES is to cap the sync speed.

I had a feeling this would be the case. I suspect they only work on ADSLx connections. Thanks for sharing.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:39:08 PM »

There shouldn't be any reason why you can't configure a modem to give an INP value higher than the minimum and/or a delay lower than the maximum, because then it'll still end up within the limits set by the DSLAM. A bit like how you can set a rate cap, but not one that's higher than the cap set by the DSLAM. But it is quite possible that the commands just don't apply to VDSL2.

I did find what looks like the way to do this kind of thing on Lantiq devices, but you'd need to generate a whole lot of hexadecimal with all the values encoded.

anything