Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...  (Read 87081 times)

boost

• Reg Member
Re: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2018, 11:43:10 PM »

May as well just rewrite it as an AWS lambda function. The first million requests or so are free, IIRC?

Combine it with some sort of local proxy so it's very obvious to the end user you're grabbing SNR margins and not exfiltrating their card details or something.

Job done? :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2018, 02:28:21 PM »

Today, I was upgrading dslstats on my laptop; 5.9 to 6.5.

I glanced at the MDWS tab and was pleased to see my creds populated. After the upgrade, I noticed the tab was gone. Several seconds elapse as I frantically searched for it... to no avail :P

I can't believe this has shut down tbh. What a huge loss to the xDSL community! It goes without saying, I hope, thank you for looking after it for so long.

Has anyone offered to re-host? Ignoring GDPR for a second, it should be trivial for someone to do? I'll do it if no one else is able to.

Diagnostically, the information/service is too useful to lose, surely? There's likely to be many people out there locked into poor service, MDWS and the strength of the community behind it might be all they have?

GDPR. There's already talk of whitelists for GP surgeries so we're probably a hop skip jump from a full blown farce on that front. Plus, it's designed to stop corporations from taking the pee, not a community trying to help each other out.

Either way, I don't anticipate GDPR to be an issue for me.

Where do we go from here? :)

To me GDPR is the easy part, its not a big deal.

The hard part is the code, sadly Tony didnt want to share it, Stuart and kitz have written some code which me and a few others are hosting online, I have yet to post my own stats as I need to add some security first.

The ideal solution is to have the server generate the graphs which stuart's code is capable off, I do aim to have a service running to replace MDWS but it needs time to get setup.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2018, 04:43:02 PM »

Agreed. Well done for trying to get something up and running!

I'm not a coder either but I've managed to hack bits n bobs together in the past.

I guess code sharing is a very personal thing? My tendency is to overshare, lol.

Either way, I'm sure there's no need to borrow code off anyone?
Ideally, the MDWS part of DSLstats should be modular anyway, assuming it will continue to be part of it which I really hope it will. I have no desire to use more than one tool and DSLstats has served me well.

You could, arguably, make the MDWS component, functionally, independent (retaining the tab within DSLstats though, somehow) so there's no sharing of the underlying poll data. This would introduce waste, of course but something to consider if needs must?

I'd be happy to try and help (read: potentially hinder) in some way if I can? My email address is probably in my profile, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

anything