Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...  (Read 87116 times)

underzone

• Reg Member
Re: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2018, 11:23:35 AM »

I think Kitz should fold this MDWS stat gathering into her site. It is a perfect fit.
Much like thinkbroadband monitors speeds, produces stats and articles - basically anything they can to monetise that data.
It could also produce a steady income stream for kitz, and drive more traffic to this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2018, 11:36:31 AM »

@MaximusPrime: DSLstats is a separate program, and is not closing down.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2018, 11:51:57 AM »

@underzone: Apart from the complexity and cost of what you suggest, the Kitz sites are not commercial. There is also the looming problem of GDPR. It's not going to happen.
  Eric

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2018, 11:59:01 AM »

Hi

Sorry @tony, I tried to donate but I could not see the donate sorry

It maybe my tired eyes though so I’ll look again when back later

Many thanks

John

AngelRex

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2018, 12:18:58 PM »

Hi Tony,

Thank you for an amazing service and all the help to this community.  Although I haven't used MDWS for some time, it was an amazing resource when I needed it - so a big thank you and to echo what everyone else has said, I'd like to wish you well and less stress!

Many thanks again

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »

Hi
Sorry @tony, I tried to donate but I could not see the donate sorry
It maybe my tired eyes though so I’ll look again when back later
Many thanks
John
You need to have logged on reasonably recently as the donate link is only visible to registered users (for reasons that I won't go into). I've PMd you a link that may work if not.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »

Thanks for the comments on my novel, I've almost run out of copies now. There is a film/TV script being professionally written but it has stalled and I need to chase it up.

And you will have one less copy now given I have just purchased one as well.

As others have already said, I also wanted to express my appreciation at your work on MDWS and while disappointed, fully understand your reasons for not being able to continue to support the service.

While I hope others may be able to work on an alternative, I wish you the best of luck in your 'retirement' :)

GaryW

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2018, 06:18:36 PM »

Sad but understandable that you're shutting down.  I've only used MDWS since late last year, but I've found it hugely useful and educational - so a big thank you from me for creating it in the first place and keeping it going for long enough for me to experience it!  (And the value I got from it was massively more than the donation I made.)
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2018, 09:57:09 PM »

Thanks for the time and effort on the project Tony, would you be willing to share the code and database so someone could possibly take the project over?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »

I'm not surprised to see GDPR mentioned when discussing this sad subject of closure. Time for a rant, hello everyone btw!
I suspect we'll be seeing many more smaller sites shutting down once they get exposed to the demands of GDPR. Much of we do online is going to get caught up in these new regulations.
<snip... >  </....snip>

It's an absolute minefield for people who don't have the resources to hire lawyers and security consultants.

Hi and welcome to the forums and thank you for your insightful post. :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2018, 11:49:59 AM »

I think Kitz should fold this MDWS stat gathering into her site. It is a perfect fit.
Much like thinkbroadband monitors speeds, produces stats and articles - basically anything they can to monetise that data.
It could also produce a steady income stream for kitz, and drive more traffic to this site.

Sorry I can't for several reasons.
  • As mentioned by Tony, MDWS started to started to take over his life.   I already have this site to maintain which long ago took over mine.  There's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes which may not always be apparent that take up a huge amount of my time.   It would be totally impossible for me to do both.
  • Income for this site is an issue as it is.   MDWS has its own upfront and running costs.   Whilst I'm willing to bet that Tony got far more in subscriptions and donations in a few years, than I've ever had since this site began....   MDWS still falls short of being a profitable venture.
  • MDWS would change the structure of this site, as soon as I start taking subscriptions then I would fall under much tougher GDPR regulation.  There are perhaps some small changes I will have to make, but on the whole apart from checking notifications to users of what data I do store then I think I'm ok. *
  • Someone suggested that I perhaps set up a section of this site whereby users could for a premium store MDWS data.   That is also a non-starter I'm afraid.  As soon as this forum becomes subscription based in any shape or form, then that means records are stored of who makes donations.  This definitely is classed as personal data so would make me responsible for GDPR.
iusetheinternet covered a lot of the points why GDPR is going to be a complete nightmare for many smaller and unprofitable sites who just do not have the resources to be able to meet the requirements.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

freelander

• Reg Member
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2018, 06:04:26 AM »

Many thanks Tony for all you have done, good luck and good health for the future

cwaite

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2018, 10:08:12 AM »

Thank you Tony you have really helped me monitor my flaky connection over the years, MyDSLWebStats will be missed,  Enjoy your retirement!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »

i could handle the running costs, put it on a windows/linux vm in a datacentre, guiss can handle legal side, 3rd piece of jigsaw is a dev, if no volunteer here ill ask martin

it would be much easier if we had the existing code, but not impossible to start again

if starting from scratch i also have another php developer in mind.

personally i feel yes new regulation needs to be adapted to but once its understood it wont be a big deal. also they not going to be proactively forcing compliance, they dont have the manpower for that.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:48:19 AM by Chrysalis »

marjohn56

• Reg Member
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »

@Chrysalis - I'm prepared to help where I can, If Tony can be persuaded to 'gift' the system as is, we could adapt it as required.

Of course there would need to be a large header thanking Tony and possibly a link to purchase his books.  :)
OPNsense 18.* - Billion Bridge - Qotom Q355G4 - ISP - ZEN U.K.

Team Rebellion Member
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

anything