Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...  (Read 87083 times)

grahamb

• Reg Member
Re: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2018, 06:39:46 PM »

I set up and joined three days ago - looks like my timing was spot on.  :comp:  ;)

Have to say I think the site is really rather impressive to look at, even if I have barely any understanding of what it all means.  :no:

Anyway, here's wishing good health to Tony.  :)  :drink:

colin79666

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2018, 08:03:33 PM »

As per previous comments this is disappointing but completely understandable.

I only got into monitoring my stats in January and have invested in a Pi and HG612 as well as MyDSLStats. It has been most useful and while DSLStats has the web server component it isn't as fully featured and of course can't send alerts when the line goes down.

I live in hope someone else can take on this great service and wish Tony all the best in his well earned retirement from the site :)

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2018, 08:12:32 PM »

Another recent user of MDWS here and another thank you for the time you spent on the service.

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2018, 08:51:10 PM »

I echo all (actually only most ) of the comments posted so far - a tremendous thanks for all of the personal time and effort you have put into this.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JezR

• Just arrived
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2018, 09:09:39 PM »

Many thanks Tony for all the hard work, will miss my daily hit of MyDSLWebStats   :'(

iusetheinternet

• Just arrived
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2018, 07:31:42 AM »

I just signed up to say a big thanks to Tony and everyone else involved with this project. I've only recently discovered and started using all these cool tools so I've missed most of the fun, but it was very impressive what you built.

I'm not surprised to see GDPR mentioned when discussing this sad subject of closure. Time for a rant, hello everyone btw!

<rant>
I suspect we'll be seeing many more smaller sites shutting down once they get exposed to the demands of GDPR. Much of we do online is going to get caught up in these new regulations. It's not just large e-commerce and business sites - but even small blogs, forums, anything too that uses ads or analytics to help pay the bills - all this will at least need legal statements from you to your end users, and you'll need to ensure your partners are fully compliant with GDPR. There are other compliance issues too such as where the data is stored if you are hosting outside the EU as some people do, although this happens less frequently now than used to be the case when EU data costs were much more expensive - but can be an issue if you use services outside the EU such as mailing list providers, engagement and commenting systems, etc.

The wordpress community is scrambling to try and respond before these regulations come fully into force in May this year. It's not just the platform (such as a Wordpress CMS or forum system), but any plugins you have installed too that might do anything with personal data needs to be compliant and included in your statement. Usernames (can be), IP addresses, and email addresses are to be treated as personal information. If someone on a forum requests to be forgotten at the very least you have to anonymise all their data (i.e. change the usernames attributed to every post and quoted reply, which may be enough according to some people, or maybe even destroy all that post data). You need to lay out all data collection you do, including partners such as advertising companies, google analytics, etc. and the EU expects this to be in human digestible form - i.e. no longer buried in long legal disclaimer text. Most people also collect server log files that contain identifying information so you'll need to deal with that too and include those in any requests for data.

There are also data security requirements. There are also questions about who would be responsible for any breaches should exploits be found in the software you are using on your site.

Anyone you hold personal information about can demand to see all the data you hold about them, and you are required to respond within a reasonable time frame. This one could be fun on a forum. There are also provisions for providing export of all this data you hold in a common useful format (such as CSV) but it's questionable whether this would apply to blogs/forums. And the right to be forgotten stuff I mentioned earlier could be messy for forum sites with threaded conversations, if you choose to comply in the most extreme way and simply destroy all user contributed data when asked (again, this won't be as easy as just deleting all the posts that belong to their userid in your database, any quotes in other posts will need handling too).

It's an absolute minefield for people who don't have the resources to hire lawyers and security consultants.

I know of some US sites that are planning to just outright ban all EU citizens via geoblocks to avoid GDPR. There are rules about geoblocks inside the EU, but obviously there's nothing the EU can do if an overseas site denies access to those based in the EU. I wonder how EU citizens will feel about the EU if some of their favourite sites get shut off to them due to these burdensome regulations? Or even EU communities that shutdown entirely due to GDPR? Let's just say I doubt many of these people will celebrating "thanks EU for trying to protect my privacy".
</rant>

So yeah I can see why MyDSLWebStats is going away just because of GDPR alone, let alone all the other reasons that were outlined in the sad announcement that just caught my attention.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:41:39 AM by iusetheinternet »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »

Hi

I’m sorry for lateness, just getting over a chest infection (long story sorry)

Good luck tony and all the very best for the future. I appreciate all your hard work

Like others, if you open your donations for a short time, I would certainly donate as a leaving present

All the very best and enjoy retirement

John

KingJ

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • Miscellaneous Knowledge
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2018, 09:40:41 AM »

I'm sad to hear that it's closing down, but thank you very much Tony for running this service. The reasons for closure are regrettable, but totally understandable. Without MDWS, I think I would have struggled to get my FTTC line performing as it is today! I made a donation in the past and consider it worth every penny. I would be more than happy to send an additional final thank you donation as others have also mentioned.

Would you be willing to share the source code to MDWS? Either just as a simple dump here in a compressed attachment or uploaded to Github or similar. Although I can appreciate the reasoning behind development issues and regulatory issues with running the service, if the source was available to the public others may be willing to take it on - in terms of overall development, hosting and regulatory compliance (and for example, I could quite easily see users wanting to run small private instances!). Understandably of course, it is your code and if you do not wish to share it publicly I completely respect that choice!

Thank you once again for developing and running this service.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »

Another belated thank you Tony!

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »

As the donations route is reportedly closed down, I went for plan B and bought Tony's book 'The Churchill Veto' as a further token of my appreciation.

Best wishes Tony.

22over7

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2018, 07:57:16 PM »

Thank you very much Tony.  You're a marvellous and rare  public-spirited individual.  I wish you peace and fun.

I mulled over what MDWS was worth to me. In reality, it gave me (in conjunction with the Kitz forums)
some very-lacked insight into the very arcane topic of broad-band technology. I could look at my own stats in a beautifully
laid out and finely judged way, and other peoples too, and try to make out what was meaningful, or not, and why.
I'm slightly less ignorant now.

In money, after some humming and hawing, I think it was worth something like a fiver a month. I mean, I would have paid that,
and maybe then made better use of it.  To my shame, I never contributed anything like that, over two years of using
this marvellous resource.

Makes me wonder about the Kitz web-site...

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2018, 08:14:19 PM »

As the donations route is reportedly closed down, I went for plan B and bought Tony's book 'The Churchill Veto' as a further token of my appreciation.
I bought this some time ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2018, 08:19:40 PM »

Hi

I didn’t even know about Tony wrote sorry

I too have just purchased a book as a thank you to Tony

I hope Tony, you enjoy retirement

Many thanks

John

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2018, 10:26:29 PM »

DONATIONS

Kitz has persuaded  me to resurrect the donations facility in view of the number of people wishing to do so. It works as before except there will be no further acknowledgement from the site(i.e. no email or enablement of other facilities.) Thanks in advance if you do.

I have been quite moved by many of the comments made and they are very much appreciated. It makes me feel the project was worthwhile and that I achieved something.

I'm staying in the background with respect to replying to all the suggestions and ideas here but am keeping in contact with Eric, Kitz and others where I feel I can help. The FTP idea is good - in fact it's almost the first thing we tried in MDWS!

Thanks for the comments on my novel, I've almost run out of copies now. There is a film/TV script being professionally written but it has stalled and I need to chase it up.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:17:31 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
  • Software Engineer, Telecoms Novice
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2018, 10:30:52 AM »

DSL Stats is a great piece of Software, thank you, it has helped me

Maybe you could sell it? Let some1 else take over?
FTTP, Billion 8800NL, MDWS Id: MaxPrime
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8