Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...  (Read 87085 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 07:14:07 PM »

Tony, maybe you should transform MDWS a locally logging service only.

You have the Pi installer for example, let the Pi store 30 days of stats for users. The Pi could run a web interface accessible only locally on the internal network.

It would just be a local client type service - no centralised server needed or required.

You could charge a modest fee, like you do now to allow 30 days stats if paid, or just 1 days stats if using a trial version.

People could still export stats and post them on Kitz if they desire.

Just an idea  ;D

What an excellent idea, having 3 RPi's in place on the lines I look after I would certainly subscribe to that.

Would be such a shame to just abandon the first class interface of MDWS when Tony shuts down his on line server and DSLStats is still operational and supported.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

roadsnail

• Just arrived
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 07:19:34 PM »

Yet another user late to the party wishing you the best and sending my thanks. Thanks for a great site and your superb support the time my ip address was accidentally blacklisted  ???

I understand completely how much time and effort this project can consume, so enjoy your retirement!

Finally, wouldn't it be great if you could open source the server side code if that's possible? Just a thought.

simon194

• Just arrived
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 07:46:31 PM »

What an excellent idea, having 3 RPi's in place on the lines I look after I would certainly subscribe to that.

Would be such a shame to just abandon the first class interface of MDWS when Tony shuts down his on line server and DSLStats is still operational and supported.
I'll second that. I run several Rpi's myself and it would be great to have the MWDS functionality available locally.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2018, 08:37:45 PM »

That would require every user wishing to run it locally to have all the code, sql, webserver, database, etc installed.

It would require the entire project to be rewritten and packaged into an installer. That would be a huge task.
If money was the issue then it would be much easier for Tony to simply charge for access rather than voluntary donations.

The reason the project is ending is due to the huge amount of time Tony needs to spend on it, and that it would need a complete rewrite to continue to run on its current hardware.

Considering these circumstances I don't think it's fair to ask for the entire code to be rewritten to run locally. It may not even be possible to package everything that would be needed.

DslStats runs its own webserver. That can be used in the meantime.

You could always add a redirect of www.mydslwebstats.co.uk in your HOSTS file and point the uploads to your own IP. Have a play with Google charts and see what you can come up with (I'm tempted to try something like this). The validation check may prevent this though.

Finally, wouldn't it be great if you could open source the server side code if that's possible? Just a thought.

This is the only way that I could see this project continuing, with someone taking up the development, hosting and running of the site.

I totally understand why someone who has spent years writing code on something doesn't want to just give that away, for various reasons.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2018, 10:07:15 PM »

Such a shame to see it go but as others have said, I can understand why.

Thank you for all you have done in the past and if you ever decide to restart the project again, I'd happily donate again, and I can't believe anyone would even ask for a refund.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2018, 10:31:50 PM »

I do hope that MyDSLWebStats will be handed over to someone and get it back and up running in the future. I would donate £10 back.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2018, 10:53:55 PM »

I do hope that MyDSLWebStats will be handed over to someone and get it back and up running in the future. I would donate £10 back.

I know Tony said he'd refund anybody who requested it .... but £10 .... really ??  ::) :-X

marjohn56

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2018, 08:08:36 AM »

Just like to add my thanks to Tony for all his hard work and effort over the years. MDWS has become part of my daily ritual and will be greatly missed, on the other hand, all the hours spent viewing it can now be put to better use. ;)

Rather than a refund I would have liked to send Tony one final donation as a token of my appreciation - have a drink on me, sadly the site is not accepting donations.

I have just quickly enabled the web server and email settings in DSLStats and all is working well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:11:54 AM by marjohn56 »
OPNsense 18.* - Billion Bridge - Qotom Q355G4 - ISP - ZEN U.K.

Team Rebellion Member

jt999

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2018, 09:14:31 AM »

Such a shame as MDWS was something I'd check daily, but GDPR is a scary beast so I totally understand the reasoning.

Thanks for all the work you put into it, whilst I was quite late to it also it really helped me sort out my connection issues.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »

First of all - thanks to Tony for all his hard work and dedication.

Secondly - is there any mileage in using Google Docs to keep some limited data?

As I understand it, GDPR does not apply to personal contacts not being used for any commercial gain. If I am wrong let me know.

But some sort of summary data - similar to that shown on the all user summary on MyDSL - might have some value?

If DSL Stats could produce a CSV file I would consider be the shared spreadsheet editor.

Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

valleysboy

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »

I'd like to add my grateful thanks to Tony for all the hard work he has put into keeping the site going.

It's been a fascinating resource, and I shall miss it, but totally respect the decision to close.

Best Wishes to you Tony,

Val

[Edit]

It would be remiss of me not to also thank Eric for his sterling work on DSLStats, especially the raspberry pi version....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:46:03 PM by valleysboy »

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2018, 01:54:47 PM »

Thanks, Tony for all your efforts.

It's a shame to see such a useful tool disappear into the sunset, but the hobby has turned into an unpaid occupation and you don't need that at your age.  Time for you to manage time for your best benefit and not ours.

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 03:32:51 PM »

Thanks for your hard work on this Tony. I will certainly miss the tool as will many others!

Been using it for years. Hopefully someone else can create another version just as good :fingers:
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »

Just like to say thanks for MyDSLWebStats. I will miss it and you can keep my donation (I think I donated in the past?) as a thanks.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2018, 05:24:50 PM »

Again, another one late to registering and using the portal.

But thanks

VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8