Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...  (Read 87093 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: IMPORTANT - MyDSLWebStats is closing down ...
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 04:46:13 PM »

Have really enjoyed using MDWS over the past few years and this helped me get a better understanding of how FTTC lines differ in lots of ways than you can imagine.

All I can say is thanks for making this possible for us and you go an relax now.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 04:48:11 PM »

Sorry to hear it's ending, but totally understand why, Tony.
Many thanks for all your hard work - much appreciated.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 04:51:31 PM »

Thank you, Tony, for all your hard work and dedication, and I wish you all the best for a long, happy and healthy future.

Although I 'came late to the party', my gratitude for what you have achieved and the service you have provided is immense. I have always found graphs to be a great way of presenting complex data in easily comprehended ways, and it's been very instructive in my foray into the world of understanding broadband. The ease with which I have been able to compare my line stats over such varied time periods, and also compare them with others' stats is a tribute to both your skill in coding and your understanding of the subject. Furthermore, your response to user requests (even the 'silly' ones) has been exemplary. There are 'professional' companies who would do well to learn from you, and I have been amazed at the quality of what has been essentially a free resource.

I can see I'm going to be busy this coming week, finding other ways to do the data analysis you have made so easy! ;) I'll miss MDWS, but my main response is gratitude that I had the opportunity to use it at all.

Take care,

George

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 04:54:11 PM »

Thanks for all your efforts Tony. I fully understand why you feel it necessary to take this action. As Kitz says if this all goes too far then lots of things will end up in the 'bit bucket'.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Adam86

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »

This is some really sad news to hear, each member of my family has an account on there.

I know it might be a bit much asking but is there any possibility of a slight extension on the cut off date? I only ask because it is rumoured that ECI Lines are meant to be getting G.INP and 3db profiles W/C 5th March, so it would just be nice to potentially see some stats coming through over the new few weeks to see if this is indeed the case or not.

Cheers

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 05:15:02 PM »

I would also like to say a big thank you to Tony, and I fully understand why he's closing it down. The work on the GUI for HG612 stats took up a lot of time when I was writing/updating it, but that hasn't required ongoing work recently. For Tony the ongoing maintenance, fixing issues and upgrading the system/hardware must be very time consuming.

Thanks again Tony, hope you have a great second retirement  :fingers:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 05:23:51 PM »

I only ask because it is rumoured that ECI Lines are meant to be getting G.INP and 3db profiles W/C 5th March

The info given was 4th week in March, but seems to have been interpreted as 4th March.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 05:51:30 PM »

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) I can't see how this would apply to this facility because IMO no personal data that isn't already publically available is there, info from an IP addresses doesn't constitute personal info, 

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 06:04:23 PM »

I didn't use the service myself. But recognise how much value and impact it has had on the community.

To have been running such an important service for so long, and holding to a high working standard shows a dedication that few have these days.

Thank you for your service.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 06:06:27 PM »

I honestly don't know as it seems a bit of a minefield, but I believe Tony has looked into it and asked for professional advice,  it does affect MDWS on several counts and it would be time consuming to ensure that he complied.

I could be wrong (possibly am as I no expert) but off the top of my head these could be some of the areas.
-Info viewable by others
-ISP info
-Use of Geo Location
-Storage and security of running own server

There's also something else which I can envisage being problematic for some site/forum owners and that's to do with subscriptions, so if you run a forum and you have member sectors based on those who may have donated to obtain a different status. Anyone who takes subscriptions could be affected. 

---

At first I was thinking it me affect me because even though I don't use mailing lists,  I store email addresses for log-on info.   But if they go that far then half of the internet is going to end up shutting down.   There's millions of forums that require this info, what about blog sites too?  What about IP addresses?  all servers store this data.  All forum/blogs etc use IP data so that bans can be placed.    I think if GDPR goes to that extent then they will have destroyed the internet to all but the big corporate sites who can afford to employ data controllers.   :(

---
ETA
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted.

It looks like g3uiss may have a much better idea than me.

I've being doing this work for some time on a couple of theatres that store extensive marketing data.

In a VERY broad sense, there isn't so much of an issues about whats stored but having a clear policy how its used and how long its kept that is available to users of the "Service" There is no intent to stop data being stored (as you rightly point out - everything stops)

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 06:12:20 PM »

I'm a relatively new user of the service but still sad to hear of it's impending closure although I can understand why.

Thank you very much Tony for providing such an excellent service and best wishes for the future.

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 06:23:29 PM »

Like Bowden I didn't use the service, but having spent an entire career in IT (before it was called IT), and being of a similar age, I fully understand why.
It is clear to me that Tony has gone "above and beyond" and deserves all credit for that. All the best for the future.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »

All the best Tony. I've used the service for a few years, and certainly appreciated all the info its provided me about the health (or lack of) of my line.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »

Tony, maybe you should transform MDWS a locally logging service only.

You have the Pi installer for example, let the Pi store 30 days of stats for users. The Pi could run a web interface accessible only locally on the internal network.

It would just be a local client type service - no centralised server needed or required.

You could charge a modest fee, like you do now to allow 30 days stats if paid, or just 1 days stats if using a trial version.

People could still export stats and post them on Kitz if they desire.

Just an idea  ;D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »

As a MDWS user / subscriber on my line, son's & daughter's lines for under a year since my migration from ADSL to VDSL, I can only echo the already expressed sentiments of the other forum members, in conjunction with DSLStats, what a fantastic facility this has provided, will be sadly missed.

Tony, I can only imagine the amount of skill, time and effort put into the creation, maintenance and day to day running of the system, it is completely understandable that the time has come for you to call a halt and take a well earned rest, thank you so much for your efforts.
The ability to so easily monitor, trend, archive my line stat's and compare results with other contributors has increased my knowledge and understanding of xDSL systems enormously with the always willing help from other kitz forum members.
The ability to keep an eye on my son's and daughter's VDSL line stat's remotely has been invaluable.

Very best wishes for the future Tony.

Eric, keep up the good work with DSLStats, your efforts are very much appreciated.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8