Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

BT NTE5 Master Socket to NTE 5C /VDSL mk 4 socket and extension

<< < (2/3) > >>

mpstevens:

--- Quote from: tubaman on March 02, 2018, 05:09:45 PM ---The ideal solution is to end up with one, and only one, filtered outlet which you connect your modem to, and run extensions from.
Your current master is in the wrong place, but by keeping your existing NTE5 and adding a NTE5C you will end up with two master sockets, and that should be avoided.
The only easy way to do what you want legally will involve two filters - one filtered faceplate on the NTE5 and another, likely of the dangly kind, where the modem is sited.

I would do it so:
1. Purchase a filtered faceplate for your NTE5, making sure it has both "AB" and "235"(might be "2345") connections on it.
2. Run a secondary socket from "AB" on the filtered faceplate to where you want your modem.
3. Run another secondary socket from "235" (yes, use "3") on the filtered faceplate to where you want your extension phone.
4. At the modem socket use a decent dangly filter (if BT supplied one with your modem it should be a decent one) to connect your modem and other extension phone.

All of the above wiring should be at least CW1308 (twisted pair) standard. The CW1724 you mentioned is fine.
Note that this does not use your NTE5C at all to avoid the double master situation.

Other members may suggest other routes to doing this.
 :)

--- End quote ---
Ah that makes sense then Tubaman.

So if I connect A+B from the filtered face plate on the NTE5 (Old BT Master Socket) would you recommend where the router/main phone is going to use a 2/3a Telephone Socket Extension + Dangly Filter or is there an alternative socket I should use?
If using a 2/3a Telephone Socket Extension then I assume A wire goes to 5 and B wire goes to 2 ?

And then for the second phone only I use wires 2,3 + 5 from the filtered face plate to the other 2/3a Telephone Socket Extension?

Will I need another dangly filter on the second phone extension socket?

Thank You

:thumbs up:

mpstevens:

--- Quote from: licquorice on March 02, 2018, 05:30:52 PM ---The filtered faceplate will have 3 sets of terminals, incoming A&B unfiltered data extension terminals and filtered ext terminals 2,3 &5. So run secondary socket from data extension terminals rtaher than A&B.

--- End quote ---
Hi Licquorice,
Do you mean where my router socket is to change it around and run from terminals 2 & 5 of the filtered faceplate instead of terminals A&B ?
In which case where my (phone only) extension is going to then run from A&B of the filtered faceplate to this second extension socket?

If so do both extension sockets still need a dangly filter?

Thanks
Mike

licquorice:
No, run as Tubaman has suggested but connect to data extension terminals in master socket rather than A&B terminals in para 2. The A&B terminals should be purely for the incoming feed. You will only need a dangly filter where you connect the router and phone. No filter needed at the extension socket connected to 2&5 in the master.

tubaman:
"AB" on the filtered faceplate is an unfiltered connection so will need a filter at the far end if you plan to use a telephone as well as the modem.
"235" on the filtered faceplate is a filtered (telephone only) connection and will not need a filter at the far end.

I believe you can purchase filtered sockets as an alternative to a BT 2/3a + dangly filter, but I have not used these so will leave it to other more learned members to comment.
 :)

@licquorice - when I refered to "AB" I was meaning the connections on the filtered faceplate and not those on the incoming connection.
If they are marked "Data Extension" then that would be the same thing.

I have used one like this photo in the past.

licquorice:
Ah, guess we are both saying the same thing just different terminology.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version