Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iphone 5C  (Read 8817 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
iphone 5C
« on: February 26, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »

My wife had her sisters old iphone 5C but she did not take all her details off it but she removed the 'sim' card.
So I tried to reset/delete all info on it.
Now it starts a first time user set up.
Hello> English>UK>Next> No Sim, so I put my wife,s sim in > next> trying to set up > then I get this phone is Locked.
My wife ask her sister for her icloud account and password.
we put them in but it keeps saying wrong password.
She told us 3 passwords now it says this account is disabled.

I think it has something to do with 'Find my phone' which she did not remove but she thinks she has taken it off now on her new phone for her old iphone 5C.
I did try going on the icloud.com site and putting her details in says account locked.
My SIL is not internet savy .

Any idea what is the next step we can try.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: iphone 5C
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 06:39:17 PM »

Not entirely sure, but sounds like might be a carrier locking problem.    That is, the phone is locked to the carrier that originally supplied it, and is different to the SIM you have installed.   The  other carrier may be willing to unlock it, for a fee ranging from peanuts to ££.

Various websites claim to show whether a phone is locked to a carrier (find them with google) or, if you visit an Apple store, I expect they’d be able to tell you.

It is also possible your sister has put the phone into ‘lost mode’, using the Find My iPhone App or using iCloud.   That is used when a phone is stolen, and effectively bricks the device, until cancelled by the legitimate owner.   I don’t think that’s likely, as it’s hard to do by accident, I don’t think a phone in ‘lost mode’ would get as far as yours does.

Sounds like there is also a separate issue, that may or may not matter, that your sister’s iCloud account has become locked owing to too many incorrect login attempts.  Pretty sure if she just waits 24 hours she’ll get another chance, else she’d have to try password recovery...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204106

rpdmallett

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 07:34:04 PM »

I think sevenlayermuddle is probably right - the phone has been 'Reset' but not been removed from 'Find My iPhone', and so entering the wrong iCloud email or password a few times leaves it Locked and unusable.

If your wife's sister can log into iCloud.com with her details, then she can go to the Find My iPhone part of that website and remove the 5C from the list.  Hopefully after that (as long as the 5C has a WiFi connection) then it should update and allow you to use it without any need for login details.

If the iCloud password has been lost then she'll need to use the iforgot.apple.com page to get it reset.  Note that you'll need to use the original iCloud account used on that 5C and not any new one she may have created.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 08:57:07 PM »

At 62 and not being web savvy all my SIL has done is to phone EE and they said to Phone Apple to un-lock icloud account, she will just say she does not have internet and they must do it.
It could all been done so easily on line but she will not listen (she is frightened of the internet  :( ).
As it has locked her phone as well she will have to get it done asap.
She also said once that is done I have to phone Apple to un-lock this 5C, but I do not think she understands it is she who must do or get Apple to do that, Apple does not know that we have not found the phone and trying to get in it.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 12:14:08 PM »

Just to be clear, there may be two different, and effectively unrelated, issues here.

1.   The  phone may be locked to EE, so it would only work with an EE Sim card.  My money is on that being the immediate problem.   If so, Apple alone can’t fix that - only EE can legally unlock it, and they may charge a small fee for doing so.  See link below for more info on whether it is likely to be locked to EE.  Sounds like it depends on when it was purchased,  worst case you may have to cough up £8.99 if it is locked.

http://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/unlock-your-phone/unlock-a-ee-device-to-use-with-another-network

2.   The phone may be ‘activation locked’ to the old iCloud account. From what’s been said,  I actually doubt if that is the case.   So long as that is not the case, just forget the old Apple account, and specify your own Apple id during setup.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 12:22:14 PM »

Ps:  the third of the two issues  :-[ is of course..

3.   Your SIL has got herself locked out of her own iCloud account.   SIL will probably need to resolve that in order to get her own new phone fully working.   But depending on circumstances, it need not necessarily stop the old phone, now belonging to your wife, from working.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 02:13:07 PM »

Much simpler with Android phones.  :) :) :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 03:09:58 PM »

Much simpler with Android phones.  :) :) :)

Why? 

Surely Android phones can also be locked to a carrier?  And I vaguely thought Android phones nowadays could be locked to a Google account, just like iPhones to Apple?  Not sure if the Google system is quite as secure as Apple's though, must be harder since Google don't control the hardware.   Also not sure whether it happens automagically.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 03:24:08 PM »

Locked to carrier, yes, but none of this forced to have an iCloud account rubbish though.  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 09:38:49 PM »

All sorted now.
I may have disabled my SIL icloud by trying to go on her account for her from my laptop, icloud did not recognize  it and thought her account was being hacked and disable it. :o :blush:
So she phoned Apple and they activated her icloud account again after they made her do a new password and they took off Find My Phone for the 5C and that took the Activation lock off.
Now I was able to set up the iphone 5C for my wife.  :) just doing 'updates' now.
If the 5C was locked to EE that was probably taken off last year when she had her new phone.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 10:33:35 PM »

Excellent news.

Enjoy the 5c.   Despite the fact I consider myself an Apple enthusiast in recent years, my 5c was the first, and remains the only, iPhone I actually felt inclined to buy.

Mine’s well over three years old now, but still performs faultlessly.  Pretty intense daily use but still performs well even with newer Apps,  does all I could ask, and battery good as new.   My only gripe is it won’t run iOS 11, but I’m guessing that won’t worry your wife. :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 11:57:31 AM »

My wife's iphone4c was from her sister and my iphone4  (iso 7.1) is from our daughter, the 5c now runs iso10.3.3 which I updated last night (which took ages to do ).
We regularly used BBC iplayer till it not longer worked last year and now they updated there BBC weather app last week and that did not work on the 4/4c  >:D
But now my wife can now use those apps again on her 5c.