Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: openreach wants to withdraw sevice and cease line  (Read 8253 times)

freeflow

openreach wants to withdraw sevice and cease line
« on: February 25, 2018, 04:11:20 PM »

We have been problems for month now with internet/adsl disconnecting randomly and every time the phone rings. Openreach have changed many items at the exchange ,but have not fixed the problem. They have know told my service provider, who has been pressurizing openreach to fix the fault,that they( openreach want to withdraw the service/cease the line, as they can not fix the fault!Can they legal do this, leave us with no telephone and broadband and no mobile reception in a very rural hamlet? Can we not insist to keep the line running?

Any ideas welcome.
Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: openreach wants to withdraw sevice and cease line
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 05:33:19 PM »

My (current) understanding is --
  • The braodband service: yes.
  • The telephony service: no.
It might be worth your while to consult the regulator, Ofcom.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 07:15:01 PM »

Seeing a redacted of personal details copy of the letter amy also through light on what actually intended. I'm wondering if the OP may be misreading, because everything before has been about internet. From the post the phone side has been working.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 01:41:08 AM »

I'm wondering if the OP may be misreading, . . .

Yes, that is also my suspicion.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

freeflow

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 07:36:45 AM »

Seeing a redacted of personal details copy of the letter amy also through light on what actually intended. I'm wondering if the OP may be misreading, because everything before has been about internet. From the post the phone side has been working.

Not sure what OP is,But yes the phone always works, it is just a bad line sometimes, it just broadband disconnects when phone rings and at other times. There are not many people here where we live and this happens to about 25% of subscribers according to my research. i would have thought openreach would just say we can not fix it,but you can keep the service as it is now??
 Also been to ofcom website and can not find how to report it there, so any tips welcome.
at this stage i would just accept the service as it is, if they can not fix it,just want them to be straight about it.

Thanks

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »

Does the letter actually say they will be terminating the phone service?

(OP = Original Poster - i.e you)
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

freeflow

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »

i have been talking with the tech team and complaints  department from my service provider, about this ,on the phone and they stated that openreach has contacted them saying they will have to cease the line as they can not fix the problems due to the length of line from the exchange and any service would not be viable on the line or suported. my service provider is trying to get clarification and is not happy with openreach.

Thanks

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »

As said above, why not copy the letter to us with the personal bits blotted out? Possibly your mind could be put at rest.

BTW which ISP are you under?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:52:17 PM by renluop »

freeflow

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 01:25:21 PM »

As said above, why not copy the letter to us with the personal bits blotted out? Possibly your mind could be put at rest.

BTW which ISP are you under?
Origin
This is what i got in the email "I have had a look into the fault you have raised with Origin, due to the nature of the issue this has now been sent to our Provisioning team. I've had a word with them and have agreed a callback will be made on Monday, 26/02."
Because i did not understand what they where saying i did ring them and they said on   the phone and they stated that openreach has contacted them saying they will have to cease the line as they can not fix the problems due to the length of line from the exchange and any service would not be viable on the line or suported. nothing in writing

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »

Send all the details you can to    Clive Selley    clive.selley@openreach.co.uk   CEO of BTOR .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

freeflow

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »

Thanks

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 03:42:14 PM »

If I were you I'd also contact OFCOM directly to raise this issue.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 04:44:22 PM »

Do Origin do phone only? If they don't it may be that Origin will be ceasing everything because of BTOR ceasing the broadband.

If that is the case the OP just needs to contact another supplier to take over the phone.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 05:54:14 PM »

Is it really Openreach ceasing the broadband and not BTWholesale? The ADSL broadband equipment is operated by BTWholesale, but I suppose it might be Openreach declaring that the line can't do it.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 06:30:42 PM »

This is all guess work, based on not that much information right now.

On only a few occasions have I had to send a job back as 'Long line issue', giving extensive feedback on where in the network the circuit can attain synch (ie a Carrier Pole or a Cable Joint), and beyond that point it is literally to far to support DSL.

As most posters on Kitz will be aware, if the circuit loses synch when the phone is used, there's a damn good chance there's a high-resistance fault lurking somewhere ??

What speeds were you getting before, do you know ??

How long have you had an ADSL connection ??

We really need more info than what is currently available to us I'm afraid, to be able to give opinions.  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything