Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Question about master socket  (Read 2557 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Question about master socket
« on: February 25, 2018, 01:13:19 AM »

Hi all,
Well, I was changing the power supply to the Zyxel after realising I was using another 12V one with it and not the original (had the Fritz!Box one connected to it). I noticed this while I was packing and saw the Fritz!Box didn't have a power supply in the box. Anyway, after switching them over I noticed my trickling CRC errors have returned.

However... what I did notice was whenever I slightly move the cable in the master socket (test socket) my CRC errors spike. At one point the SNR even dropped a fair bit until I wiggled the connector again.

My question is whether this is normal, for an ever so slight wiggle of the connector plugged in the master socket to cause CRC errors to spike? I don't imagine it is. This would likely explain why the SFI engineers found no issues when they bypassed the master socket/test socket and directly connected to the wires, at least from what I call. From what I recall the final visit the SFI engineer noticed the same problem when he plugged in his JDSU via the master socket and not directly to the wires behind it.

I'm currently trying to stop the trickling CRC errors with the theory that it is indeed perhaps a defective master socket.

EDIT: P.S. I'm pretty sure it's not the cable itself as I previously tried other cables when I had this issue in the past. Moving house in just over a week so hopefully this issue will no longer haunt me :).

EDIT 2: I've re-synced with a more aggressive cap/banding in order to try and preserve fastpath as I prefer lowest latency over highest speed. So far it looks like that's helped. This is a very strange problem, but as I say I hope at the new house I won't see such issues and therefore won't have to apply such an aggressive cap/banding.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:41:05 AM by Ixel »

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Question about master socket
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 07:38:40 AM »

I think the effects of wiggling the connector are normal. I'm not sure people appreciate just how sensitive DSL is, how tiny the received signal levels are.

Surely it's more likely that the CRC error rate is due to the different power supply? Why not swap the power supplies back to see if the CRC error rate changes back?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 10:14:47 AM »

I think the effects of wiggling the connector are normal. I'm not sure people appreciate just how sensitive DSL is, how tiny the received signal levels are.

Surely it's more likely that the CRC error rate is due to the different power supply? Why not swap the power supplies back to see if the CRC error rate changes back?

I'd agree with this ^^^ .............. a particular ISP (No names) are notoriously difficult to get a 'Lift & Shift' from. Even on multiple repeat-reports where all other avenues have been explored, or to eliminate it from the equation ?.

If we have our HHT's connected at their HDF port, a 'waggling' of the wires will ensure a few naughty errors start to increment.  :)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:04:51 AM »

If we have our HHT's connected at their HDF port, a 'waggling' of the wires will ensure a few naughty errors start to increment.  :)

:o Naughty Black Sheep (:thumbs:)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »

The slightest touch of the connector end on the cable that's plugged in the master socket's test socket seems to cause a spike, makes sense though so fair enough :). Given in the past I've actually tried other 12V power supplies when I had this problem I have doubts it's specifically the power supply I'm using that's at fault, but I will certainly try this nearer the time when I move house. For now things are stable and I don't want to potentially provoke the problem into returning again :P (continuous trickling of downstream CRC errors).

Thanks all!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »

:o Naughty Black Sheep (:thumbs:)

Ha ha, needs must some times ...... flow-chart diagnostics can hamper progress, in some cases.   :)