Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: NTE5C + Mk4 VDSL problem  (Read 3620 times)

debenham

• Just arrived
NTE5C + Mk4 VDSL problem
« on: February 23, 2018, 03:22:22 PM »

'Someone I know' replaced the old BT master socket with the above but the BT hub won't connect. Take off the filter plate and plug straight in to the NTE phone socket (via the old in-line filter) and it works fine. The Mk4 unit has been replaced with another but the problem is still there. There are no extensions or other wiring.
Any suggestions?

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: NTE5C + Mk4 VDSL problem
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 03:35:29 PM »

'Someone I know' replaced the old BT master socket with the above but the BT hub won't connect. Take off the filter plate and plug straight in to the NTE phone socket (via the old in-line filter) and it works fine. The Mk4 unit has been replaced with another but the problem is still there. There are no extensions or other wiring.
Any suggestions?

It,s been incorrectly wired or the Mk4 socket is faulty, would be difficult but certainly not impossible to get the wiring wrong.

If you could provide a photo of the wiring I'm sure some of the very knowledgable forum members will be happy to advise.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

debenham

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 03:54:29 PM »

There are only two wires to connect - incoming white to 'A' and orange to 'B' and they're correct (and the broadband works ok when plugged straight into the NTE5C which seems to confirm that.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 04:24:12 PM »

Assume they have wired the incoming line to the connections on the back of the NTE5c and not to the extension connections on the front, although I'm not sure it would work at all if you did that.
Should be as per run-it-directs nice page at -https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/blog--installing-a-mk4nte5c-combined-socket--I14.php#blt
 :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:29:15 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

debenham

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 04:36:57 PM »

That's what makes the whole thing so puzzling - there are just the two wires and then the VDSL bit goes into the front, plug in your route cable and off you go. There are no extensions that need wiring up and, as I said, the broadband works fine when just plugged into the NTE socket.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 05:10:21 PM »

It sounds like it should work - all very odd ???
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:19:04 PM by tubaman »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 06:49:45 PM »

Logically either both Mk 4 SSFPs are faulty or there is some damage to the socket, on the back section of the NTE5C, by which the SSFPs make their connection.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

debenham

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »

That's tomorrow's job - new back section!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 07:10:45 PM »

Knowing that the construction of the NTE5C and the associated SSFPs are of a poorer standard than is the norm, for Pressac, I am not surprised that they do not survive handling other than that of the very delicate kind!  :-X

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »

Knowing that the construction of the NTE5C and the associated SSFPs are of a poorer standard than is the norm, for Pressac, I am not surprised that they do not survive handling other than that of the very delicate kind!  :-X

I've not handled a NTE5C, but I don't like the clip-together nature of it. What's so wrong with a couple of screws?
I do like the way they've done the hinged connection block for the extension connections as I think consumers will be more likely to get that right than the old Krone version. Why they've done the same for the incoming line I don't know. Perhaps it saves the installing engineer a few seconds?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 09:15:28 AM »

I've not handled a NTE5C, but I don't like the clip-together nature of it. What's so wrong with a couple of screws?
I do like the way they've done the hinged connection block for the extension connections as I think consumers will be more likely to get that right than the old Krone version. Why they've done the same for the incoming line I don't know. Perhaps it saves the installing engineer a few seconds?

The idea is to become as 'tool-less' a circuit as is possible.

I am old-school myself, and do prefer the 'bare wire and screw terminal' connections. But I am merely a foot-soldier.  ;D

debenham

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »

Sorted! Replaced the backplate and all is well.
I have to say that I'm no expert but the whole assembly seems very flimsy - there's no provision for a tie wrap to secure the incoming cable, the push-lock connectors seem virtually to chop through the cables and the front plate, as others have said, is easily knocked askew.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 03:24:22 PM »

Sorted! Replaced the backplate and all is well.

A good result. Thank you for reporting back.  :)

anything