Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DSL stats stopped saving graphs  (Read 4256 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
DSL stats stopped saving graphs
« on: February 24, 2018, 10:24:25 AM »

Hi,

Where is the setting in DSL stats that controls where graphs are saved?  My installation seems to have stopped saving, although it creates daily folders in the "logs" directory below the program installation.  Snapshots are saved as well, to the same place.  It's the regular graph saving that has stopped working.  It seems to have dated from when I relocated the program from C: to D: drive, so I'm assuming there's a setting somewhere that tells it where to save.

Frustratingly Windows doesn't seem able to search for the files, for example if I search for "Bitloading-2018-02-24" to see whether today's files have been stored somewhere else, it finds all sorts of completely unrelated files that just happen to have part of that name somewhere.  However based on the searches I've been able to make, it doesn't appear to be saving them elsewhere either.

Thanks, Tony S
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:26:53 AM by aesmith »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: DSL stats stopped saving graphs
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 10:42:19 AM »

There is only the flag for Location of Config Files on the Misc tab as far as I know, make sure that's set and check Snapshots tab for location of graphs folder. My DSLStats runs OK on W7 and has everything in the DSLStats folder.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »

I can't really add anything to what Stuart said: DSLstats will save all its snapshots in the specified snapshot directory (or in folders under that location if you've chosen to save in daily folders or categories).
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:20:20 PM »

FWLUIMB
From recent experience it’s easier to find stuff, if sorted in name order than date. The latter will give much the same trouble as yours. My personal choice for the snapshots is: C:\Users\....\AppData\Local\dslstats\snapshots. I save in daily folders.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 02:23:45 PM »

Cheers.  I've restarted the program and will see whether it starts behaving itself.  When stopped, it saved a bunch of snapshots in the expected folder, but it's not yet due to save the first of the regular graphs.  Searching the PC it doesn't seem like the missing files were saved anywhere else, so I guess it just wasn't logging for some reason.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 04:02:32 PM »

Still not saving graphs.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 04:15:26 PM »

Have you checked that the graphs you want to save are ticked in the Snapshots configuration, and that other settings on that page are correct? Also make sure that the graphs you want to save are actually being monitored.

Eric

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 08:32:29 AM »

Must be a setting I'm missing, 'cos it's still not auto saving, for example it's created a directory 2018-02-25 with nothing in it.  Last saved graphs are from yesterday when I stopped then restarted monitoring, just one of everything with "2018-02-24-10.32.28" timestamp and nothing since.   The items are being monitored as I can see from the onscreen graphs and from Mydslwebstats.

What am I missing?  It's probably staring me in the face ...

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 09:47:34 AM »

Well I've compared my settings to yours and cannot see anything obvious to me. I do have a couple of things different. I have set Snapshot timing linked to start of recording and also Use snapshot timing as time per page also set. So try changing those as I suppose there could be a bug somewhere, although if this worked when installed on the C drive it is unlikely.

I think I would probably delete everything and do a clean install on the D drive and go though the set up again from scratch to see what happens. I'm guessing you could have copied it all over from the C drive and something my have gone wrong in that process.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 12:00:45 PM »

Hi

Please could I ask if anything is shown in the logs of dslstats - event viewer I think it’s called

Also, a silly question sorry, but the folder does have full write permissions I assume

Many thanks

John

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 02:07:17 PM »

Just on a whim I changed it to save every hour (instead of four hours), and linked to start of recording.  Since then it's been saving.  Just changed it again to time of day but still on one hour so will soon see if that's working.  If so, then I can revert to four hour and see if that now works.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »

Please could I ask if anything is shown in the logs of dslstats - event viewer I think it’s called
Nothing suspicious, for example ...
25 Feb 2018 14:04:32   Configuration files stored in D:\Programs\DSLstats\
25 Feb 2018 14:04:32   The configured modem/router is Billion 7800DXL
25 Feb 2018 14:04:32   Snapshot folder is D:\Programs\DSLstats\Logs\
25 Feb 2018 14:04:32   Webserver folder is now D:\Programs\DSLstats\Logs\webserver\
25 Feb 2018 14:04:32   Webserver started
25 Feb 2018 14:04:35   Recording started

Also, a silly question sorry, but the folder does have full write permissions I assume
I can't see it being a permission issue if the program can create the daily subdirectories, save snapshots on demand and on exit.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »

I think I've found the issue, as soon as I changed the setting to "time of day" instead of "linked to start of recording, it stopped saving graphs. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 12:36:02 PM »

That looks like a bug then. I'll see what I can do.
  Eric

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 01:33:50 PM »

Cheers.  At least it's not a mystery (or not for me anyway).
Pages: [1] 2