Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A codelook map question  (Read 2676 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
A codelook map question
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:58:31 PM »

Is there a bigger map that I could move around different areas (like we can do with google) and it still have all the dots on for cabinets?

When I put my number in it will show me all the cabinets in the local area. But is there a way to make the map bigger and for me to move around?

I'm asking because there is a cabinet I pass on the way to the dentist and it has all the cables ripped out and the door is open. I was wondering if it is still listed as a cabinet.

On Google maps if you look up 167 Rochdale Rd, Oldham, were Belmont Street meets it, on the corner there is a cabinet. In the April 2017 screen I can see the cables ripped out on the pavement. If I go a little on the Belmont Street the time changes to July 2017 and the cabinet is closed. But since probably the end of last year and today the cabinet is open and empty.

I'm not sure how I would go to find out if the cabinet is still registered on the codelook site?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: A codelook map question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »

Looking at the cabinet map on codelook for my town, the position of dots for the location of the cabinets isn't very accurate.

I think the cabinet with open doors you mention is not a BT cabinet. Probably Virgin cable then. I can't see on Google street view if it says CATV on the covers on the pavement in front of the cabinet. There are usually a few in my town with open or missing doors, sometimes there's even a Virgin poster inside with something like "nobody is supposed to blow the bloody doors off".

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »

Taking a close look at the July 2017 image and noting the position of a multi-digit number on the top left-hand edge along with the type of door lock allows me to state, with a high degree of confidence, that the cabinet is a Liberty Global asset.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »

I've been looking at the local map around here and thought I'd check some of the cabinets to see if they have G.fast pods installed.

But I've noticed on the codelook site some of the cabinets aren't where the dots on the map are.

Some dots point to roads that have no cabinet on.

There is also a fibre ECI cabinet, on 137 Duchess Street, Shaw, England, that isn't shown on the code look map.

Is there any other way to find out what the cabinet number is?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 12:33:43 PM »

Tell me! My cab is 500m astray by road, 200m by crow. Where on earth did Code Look get its data?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »

yes! I'm lucky my cabinet is right on the dot.

Is there any way to tell what cabinet number it is by looking at the shell? If so, I'll take a closer look.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 06:53:03 PM »

The map shows green circles for the general area of each cabinet or exchange link, not the specific location of the cabinet.

I think the data it's based on is more about what postcodes are served by a particular cabinet, not the locations of the cabinets.

BT PCP cabinets generally have their number painted on the outside of them.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 07:59:50 PM »

It's deffo not one of our Cabs at the address you have given, Bowdon.

The nearest Cab to that location (Belmont St junc Rochdale Road) is PCP99 and is on Chadderton Way junc Grange Street.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 08:01:59 PM »

There is also a fibre ECI cabinet, on 137 Duchess Street, Shaw, England, that isn't shown on the code look map.

Is there any other way to find out what the cabinet number is?

PCP 8.  :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »

PCP 8.  :)

Thanks mate :)

That makes sense as the P8 on the map from codelook is listed on Cheviots Road. But I couldn't find it there.

I was checking the cabinets to see if any had G.fast pods attached to them. But so far I've not seen any.

anything